Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sold out for osx and wow  (Read 4042 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Re: Sold out for osx and wow
« Reply #59 from previous page: November 17, 2005, 03:14:36 PM »

amigadave wrote:

I thought the "eMacs" were the lowest spec Mac you could get, or maybe the same spec as the mini.  I would think any company that wanted to use Macs would invest in higher spec machines, specially for your position where you are running so many apps at once.  Tell them to get you a new dual G5 Power Mac @ 2.5mHz with 4gb RAM, that should fix all your problems and the prices should start coming down as they get ready to switch to x86, specially if you can find a used one.   :-D

As far as I know the mac mini is lower spec than the eMac, but I don't know for a fact :-)

As for the G5, dream on :-) It's a small place ;-)

Prior to the eMac I had to use an old iMac G3 433 (I think, could have been 500) with even less memory than this ;-)

-edit-

Seems out of the box the mac mini 1.25GHz and eMac 1.25 GHz are pretty similar, but the eMac is more expandable...

-edit-

Mother of all stupid typos :lol:
int p; // A

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2005, 04:22:55 PM »

Karlos wrote:
Seems out of the box the mac mini 1.25GHz and eMac 1.25 GHz are pretty similar, but the eMac is more expandible...

I read that as "expendable"...

Offline dylansmrjo

• Show only replies by dylansmrjo
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2005, 04:50:20 PM »
I think it's "expandable"  :-P
[color=FF9900]---Copyright is no right---[/color][/b][/i]

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2005, 05:15:44 PM »

bloodline wrote:

Karlos wrote:
Seems out of the box the mac mini 1.25GHz and eMac 1.25 GHz are pretty similar, but the eMac is more expandible...

I read that as "expendable"...

We can wish ;-)
int p; // A

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2005, 01:53:20 AM »

Oliver wrote:
Talk about wanting to punch a computer (or at least some engineer).

Just don't do what I did today.
Had to fire up the PC, after using it for approx 5mins Windows p###ed me off so much I stood up to kick the computer as hard as I could.
 The only trouble was my aim was about as good as a Beckham free kick, and I smashed my shin into the desk instead :madashell:
 Spent the rest of the evening between OSX and AmigaOS to calm myself down. (yeah..sad aint it!)
On schedule, and suing

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2005, 03:09:48 AM »

odin wrote:
I use 10.3 on a G3/400 Lombard Powerbook with 128 + 256MB RAM and it's slooooow. Certainly usable but browsing is a pain when there is flash and/or (big) animgifs on the page.

What? How it is possible?. I am able to browse the net without problem and at reasonably speed on my older p2 266 and with only 96 megs of ram using w98. Also, the s.o response is faster.
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2005, 03:24:26 AM »
AntonioX:  I am sure you might have something wrong with your mac mini as I only have a G4 867 with 768mb ram and I dont find tiger slow at all, I also only have the standard GeForce 4 MX gfx card

If it's a problem with the machine, then that's the way Apple built it.  It passes all hardware diagnostics in OSX and off the boot CD.  The hard drive is barely audible, but I can clearly hear it going a mile a minute.  Obviously, there is too little memory even for a "clean" installation.

Funny, when people tell me their PCs are slow, I say the same thing: there is something wrong with the system.  Fresh installs of any OS should never be this slow.

Karlos:  Isn't all that *exactly* the sort of 'typical windows maintnance' type of thing MacOS is supposed to save you from?

I second that.  People who complain about the junk that comes with Windows are usually basing their claim on an OEM system, not a retail copy of Windows.

Vic20Owner:  The security and power of unix/linux/bsd and the convenience of a mac with the compatibility feeling of windows.

I don't like Microsoft any more than anyone else, but given that practically everyone (including licensees like HP) set up their Windows machine with an administrator account with all security disabled, it's no surprise that security is a problem.  Really, UNIX security is terribly old.  It makes little sense to me to make a seperate account to keep bad apps out of the system folder, and give them full access to the Home folder.  The OS is essentially disposable, but a user's data is what's important.

As Macs become more popular, you'll see an increase of security problems on them.

dylansmrjo:  Personally I consider AOS (or on x86: BeOS and OS/2 - the latter one with quite a bit of ideas from AOS) to be the perfect combination of Windows and MacOS, and on top of that: Much, much smaller in regard to use of system resources.

Oh, boy, do I remember OS/2 version 2 (actually, it was CITRIX multiuser, based on OS/2).  I liked it, actually, but that was before I knew anything about UNIX shells.

First time I ever saw a non-GUI OS that came on 5 HD floppy disks.  :-)

minator:  10.4.3 seems to improved things a lot though.

I just got the 10.4.3 update today.  58.6 megs?

I've downloaded 400+ megs of updates since I got my Mac mini, that already had Tiger on it.  Sheesh.

Acill:  Uh, yeah what ever mate. I wouldnt go as far as saying that. OS X is awesome. Its much more stable and can do things as well if not better then Windows and AmigaOS cant even touch it. The only people I know that talk like that are the ones that have never sat down and used OS X longer then the time you can in a store.

Sorry, but I've had mine for over a month, and the more I use it, the less I like it, especially when it comes to file requesters and drag-and-drop.  I'm glad I needed it for testing purposes, so it's not a waste of money purely as an experiment.

Oliver:  Does anyone else think it's a but daft to include EVERY printer driver in a basic installation, just in case you happen to use one of them?

I think including any 3rd party drivers in an OS is pretty stupid, because:

1) Each driver is minimal
2) They are usually old drivers
3) Manufacturers will ask you to install "full" drivers, anyway

I wonder how many people realize how much smaller Windows would be without all the drivers pre-installed?  Maybe instead of bloating thing by copying 200 printer drivers you'll never use, OS developers should make driver managers that are far more intuitive.  MacOS has a snazzy new system updater, but a pretty lousy method of managing system updates you've already installed.

bloodline:  All this kicking of OS X isn't really very constructive.

Things to think about when working on a new OS.  I really, really wish somebody would take care of the 200 printer drivers issue.

bloodline:  As For OS X stability, it's as stable as the most stable Unix I've ever used (AIX and Linux), beats the hell out of Windows and AmigaOS.

I've already had OSX freeze on me while trying to boot up Graphing Calulator in OS9 mode.  After 10 minutes waiting for it to unfreeze, I gave up and pulled the plug.

Also, I can't play any DVDs.  It gives me an error message that, when I looked it up online, translates that my DVD region is wrong.  I bought this thing in a US store.  How can it not be able to play US DVDs?  I did find some info on how to change the DVD region, so I'll try that and see if it works.

billt:   VirtualPC Could be a solution for some

Great.  Now I'll need 2 Gigs of RAM.  ;-)

Doobrey:   The only trouble was my aim was about as good as a Beckham free kick, and I smashed my shin into the desk instead

No offense, but are you sure Windows is the problem, here?  :-)

I should talk.  I used to yell at my A1000 every time it gave me the "neverending requester" telling me my printer wasn't responding.  I could click "cancel" a thousand times and it would never stop trying to print.  I made a serious habit of saving my files before even thinking about printing.

Offline AntonioX

• Show only replies by AntonioX
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2005, 03:51:00 AM »
@Waccoon

I am not sure why your mac mini is so slow, I have a mate whith one of the older ones that first come out and its a hell of a lot faster than my 867mhz... I think his is the 1.42gz version

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2005, 04:49:57 AM »
It just needs more RAM.  I've talked to other people who have 256MB in their minis, and they all say the same thing.  Keep in mind that my mini came with Tiger, while other early minis came with Panther.

The DVD playback problem appears to be a popular issue, too.  I've still got to try resetting my DVD region.

Offline beaviskob1

• Show only replies by beaviskob1
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2005, 05:13:04 AM »
Just found this website as I was reminising about my A1200 and thinking about tinkering with it. Anyway I have been trapped in a Windows world for a long time, Linux just not mature enough for me yet. Then I saw Osx86 and gave it a spin, "WoW" is right, it could make me leave the Evil Empire. I know I'm talking about a alpha/beta and not using actual Mac hardware so not everything working but I'm positvie the original "dows" wasn't this good (cause XP still isn't!). If the mactels are cheap enough I will switch, unless Stevey gives in (not gonna happen) and takes Billy on toe to toe then I'll keep my excisting hardware (eMachines M6811 AMD64 Lappy). To all the Motorola fans , I hate to say it but it is an Intel world , At least for those who game etc.,etc.

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2005, 11:33:19 AM »

Karlos wrote:

Sure it's fantastic as a home OS, provided you don't have any rare sight problems ;-)

It's also great if you have severe sight problems.  My mum has a Windows laptop loaded up with £1000's of special software, and yet there are certain things that she has to use the basic family eMac for (like web browsing and reading PDFs) because it caters so much better straight out of the box.

Not that, that helps you in any way, just thought I'd mention it. :-)

My 1.25GHz G4 eMac at work often crawls when running Mail, BBEdit, Firefox, Transmit and couple of bash terminals concurrently which are the absolute bare minimum tools I need to do my job. Occasionally I need to use XL to prepare data for my boss, or OmniGraffle to make diagrams. Unless I close down some other apps, it will literally show me the spinning candy mouse pointer anything from 10 to 30 seconds, in which time I cannot actually click on anything.

I wonder what is going on there.  On my 256MB, 700Mhz machine last week I was using iTunes, Adium, Safari, FireFox, TextEdit, and Oxygen (a big bloated Java XML editor) at the same time without any problems.  What's the specs?  How was the system set up?  Have you asked to bring in your PPC A1200 yet? :-D

Typically I have to boot my machine twice a day at work.

:-o  That's not good!  Seriously you should get someone to look at it.

Recently I decided to do an OS X reinstall, after 3 years of  use (and loads of dubious software, including some pretty dirty hacks) the system wasn't as responsive as it was when I got it (Did I mention in the first 2 years I did absolutely no maintainence at all?). Doing a custom install, was a piece of cake.  Don't want the printer drivers installed? No problem! (I use gimp-print drivers anyway because my printer pre-dates OS X)

After completing the install, installing all the apps I use. (including Office and Photoshop Elements) and restoring some of my old data, the disk has 4.3Gig used and the system is flying like greased eels in a ill-conceived video game licenced by George Galloway :-D

It seems like many things in life, your mileage may vary. :-P

Offline vic20ownerTopic starter

• Show only replies by vic20owner
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2005, 12:59:08 AM »

Agreed...when my system arrived (G4/450 sawtooth) it was so slow I couldn't even use it. I was sort of pissed off. Then I formatted and reinstalled Panther, and now it runs smooth as butter.  I'm running a message forum (php+mysql),browsing the web and watching dvd's at the same time, with a few shells open of course. It hasn't even hiccupped on me once.  My P3/800 barely plays divx, and my P4/3.2ghz will hiccup if I'm doing something else while it's playing.  For some reason this machine doesnt. I even played a dvd while watching video on the web... both played nice together. 450mhz not so bad...

I transferred all of my unix code and utilities over and all work fine.  

I'll probably drop a Sonnet cpu upgrade in it. Sure I could buy a mac mini for the same price, but I'm not going to be able to get 300Gb of storage in that little thing... plus I like my zip drive for transferring data to my daughter's mac.

So anyway.... going back to windows or linux just feels messy.  I've been using computers for 20 years and working as a windows/unix software developer for 15 years.  OSX is my favorite OS so far no doubt about it.

When it goes x86 I'll be running it.

Amiga 1200 030/50mhz 64MB Fast Ram 20GB HD
DTCV, S-Video hack, 1084S-D1, PCMCIA Wireless

Offline Roman78

• Show only replies by Roman78
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2005, 06:08:27 PM »
Than welcome in the world of MAC. I used to use Mac since 2 years now and its greate!

Foreget windhose :D

I also have the Intel Beta release of OSX. And i must say it's also working.

I only use windows to plat games.  :lol:

Offline Martin_Lee

• Show only replies by Martin_Lee
    • http://amiga1200.deviantart.com
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2005, 11:43:54 PM »
hugs powerbook

what took you so long? lol