Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sold out for osx and wow  (Read 4043 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Re: Sold out for osx and wow
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2005, 12:35:57 PM »
If it is a problem with the machine than that says it all. This is a completely "out of the box" eMac with the OS that shipped with it. Just as the server was an out of the box G4 workstation with nothing but OS X Server.

;-)
int p; // A

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2005, 01:05:40 PM »

Karlos wrote:

bloodline wrote:

It seems someone at at Apple was listening to you... since I suffer a similar (if not the same) affliction, I also needed to change the highlighted text colour... so I went to system preferences and then selected appearance... lo and behold there is a setting in Tiger that allows one to set that very feature. :-D

That must be one of the 'dozens of updates' in Tiger then. Still stuck with 10.3.9 here and I sure don't have that option anywhere. Are you sure it lets you independently set the back and foreground text colours?

All I get is this:

http://www.extropia.co.uk/_temp/prefs.png

Err, yeah... I set the appearance to blue and then used a custom colour for the highlight (a very dark blue)... now I have no visual problems what so ever...

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2005, 01:11:50 PM »
You are missing the issue, I want to get "white on dark blue" for highlighted text as that is the most visually obvious thing to me. Virtually every other OS I've ever used lets me do this.

Here on 10.3.9 the text foreground colour is always black, you are just changing the background highlight colour, nothing more :-/

Hell, let's see what happens if I make highlihhted text black.... :lol:

-edit-

Oh wait, I do think I missed a sarcastic note there :lol:
int p; // A

Offline AntonioX

• Show only replies by AntonioX
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2005, 02:29:56 PM »

Also Dont forget in Tiger you can also change the colour lable of the background text and the forgound also changes. I would show a pic of this but I dont know how to add pics here

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2005, 02:32:46 PM »
Alas we don't have tiger here and wether it gets installed or not is not my decision.

So it really took them until tiger to implement something like this?

To damn busy with rotating login screens I expect :-P
int p; // A

Offline AntonioX

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2005, 02:39:31 PM »

I just had a look at my panther box and you are also able to change the background lable colour, I think you looking in the system preferences then apperance, but its not there what you need to do is if you have a two button mouse then right click say on your hd icon then there will be a option to change the lable colour. If you dont have a two button mouse then you need to use the option key I think, this should help

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2005, 02:42:04 PM »
I really wanted to get an iBook for a laptop, but the realities of what software I need to take with me and what runs on Mac did not coincide very well. So I'm stuck with a Windows laptop. :/
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline AntonioX

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2005, 02:48:34 PM »

Hi  billt

Maybe you could of got some one with a mac to try out virtualpc then you could of got to test out the programs you needed on the mac to see if you might of got that ibook after all

http://www.apple.com/macosx/applications/virtualpc/

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2005, 02:55:25 PM »
@AntonioX

Ah. I think you don't understand what I am complaining about. I want basic text (in any text editing application or browser etc) after I highlight it by dragging over it with the mouse to change from 'black on white' to 'white on blue'.

I cannot find an option for this anywhere here :-/
int p; // A

Offline Acill

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2005, 03:04:36 PM »
Welcome to the world of Macs! I like my Macs just about as much as my Amigas. One thing to remember about OS X is it likes RAM. The more you can give it the better. It caches all it can to RAM to help speeds things up. If you have less then 1GB of RAM you will want to at least get your system up to 1GB. Going from 512MB to 1GB is like night and day. You will notice the change.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline AntonioX

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2005, 03:05:29 PM »

@ Karlos

I am not sure if I am right again but do you mean like changeing the colours in say textedit?

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2005, 03:19:46 PM »

AntonioX wrote:

@ Karlos

I am not sure if I am right again but do you mean like changeing the colours in say textedit?

Yeah, any application really where you can select text. In the "Appearence" Prefs (see earlier window grab) the only option for text highlight seems to affect the selected texts background colour only.
int p; // A

Offline Oliver

• Show only replies by Oliver
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2005, 03:32:53 PM »

Karlos wrote:
If it is a problem with the machine than that says it all. This is a completely "out of the box" eMac with the OS that shipped with it. Just as the server was an out of the box G4 workstation with nothing but OS X Server.

;-)

I don't know about Tiger, but when I used OS9 and below, the out of the box installation was always pretty bad.  It would install a lot of rubbish that one didn't need or want, even when one specified that particular components should not be installed.  I always used to do a LOT of customisation of any MacOS installation.  Much pruning, and rearranging, and use of a good de-fragger (this all made a big difference to performance for me).  I don't have much faith in OS installers, and unfortunately, Mac documentation isn't always very helpful for anyone who wants to do any system customisation (well, I think everyone knows that's a weak point in MacOS, but not their target market).  Some of the bad response times reported here sound like my crump old macs.  From having played with macs somewhat in my local puter shop over the years, I would expect better.  You may well be able to tweak your performance somewhat.
Good good study, day day up!

Offline AntonioX

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2005, 03:40:31 PM »

@ Karlos

I am not sure if you can do that but I will look and see if some one else might od made a program that does this :) or even if you post this on http://www.macfixit.com/ they might be able to help as they are good at this kind of thing

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2005, 03:51:36 PM »
@Oliver

Isn't all that *exactly* the sort of 'typical windows maintnance' type of thing MacOS is supposed to save you from? :lol:

Multi GB installs and not working on their own hardware out of the box. How they can lambast MS is beyond me ;-)
int p; // A

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #44 from previous page: November 16, 2005, 03:59:39 PM »
Running 10.2.8 on a 700Mhz eMac and loving it :)

Best computer I ever owned.