Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sold out for osx and wow  (Read 4044 times)

Description:

Offline vic20ownerTopic starter

• Show only replies by vic20owner
Sold out for osx and wow
« on: November 15, 2005, 03:20:32 AM »

Yeah I finally did it. I sold off the $800 worth of Amiga stuff I have collected and put it in savings. I spent $300 on a used 450mhz G4 with 1GB ram, monitor, dvd, zip, etc.

All I can say is wow.. it's everything I wish my Amiga could have done for me. it's not windows, it's not intel, and it does everything a modern computer should do and more... and I think it does it better than any of my XP boxes and linux boxes.  It already runs pretty fast for a 450 but Im going to drop a 2ghz accelerator in it... why? For fun.

Not bragging, not trolling, just sharing.  If you haven't found what you are looking for, consider osx.  It's a nice step from Linux, a jump from windows, and a huge leap from the amiga.

OSX will soon be released for intel.. but me? I like the PPC. It reminds me of my Amiga.

-vic
Amiga 1200 030/50mhz 64MB Fast Ram 20GB HD
DTCV, S-Video hack, 1084S-D1, PCMCIA Wireless

Offline Crom00

• Show only replies by Crom00
Re: Sold out for osx and wow
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 03:39:24 AM »
I just had this same conversation about OSX being the best of both worlds in many reaspects. In a crazy alternate world Amiga could have been like this. I recommend a Pioneer DVD-R drive from www.macasales.com along with ILife 05. iDVD, IMovie, and Garage Band gave me the same buzz as Deluxe paint, & Bars & pipes did back in the day.

-Regards,
Crom00

Offline Jeff

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Jeff
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 05:48:10 AM »
I did the same thing a while back. I bought a G4 533 "Digital Audio" before the mini was announced.  I love both the machine and OSX. Although usable, the OS does feel a little sluggish on this machine even with plenty of ram.

I would recommend following through with the processor upgrade like you mentioned.  I still haven't, and I think I would use the machine a lot more if I did.  I have to admit it's a beautiful OS though:-D.

Jeff

Offline c64_d0c

• Show only replies by c64_d0c
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 12:23:18 PM »
i also have a osx running here, you did a good choice, welcome to the modern computer world ;)
________
ASS OILED
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 05:52:22 AM by c64_d0c »
On schedule and rockin\\\'!!!1!!

Offline Oliver

• Show only replies by Oliver
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 12:49:17 PM »
I used Mac a lot from 68k to G2.  Always thought they should be much faster for the hardware they were packing though, cause my 1200 is still way more responsive than my Power Tower G2, and just much better to use, despite the uglier standard interface (just using 1084s).  The new macs are pretty sweet, and the second hand G3's are really cheap now.  I also want to buy one when I graduate.

I would like to know, how do you 'feel' the responsiveness is with the G3 and OSX?  Does it feel as good as the old Amigas, or does it still suffer the feeling of bloatware?  I still use win98, cause it's less of a resource hog than XP, but getting too outdated.

-Oli
Good good study, day day up!

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 01:16:03 PM »
I use 10.3 on a G3/400 Lombard Powerbook with 128 + 256MB RAM and it's slooooow. Certainly usable but browsing is a pain when there is flash and/or (big) animgifs on the page. When just using the OS when not doing any other stuff I have to be patient, sometimes there's 'GUI-lag' running upto several seconds. The puny video hardware probably also doesn't help.

You could ofcourse always use OS9. Then again sticking a spork in your eyes hurts less, more likely.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 02:26:01 PM »
I hope you didn't sell all of your Amiga stuff and kept at least one working machine, because you will miss it eventually.  I am back to being hooked on my Amigas after many years of Windows and a few on my Mac Powerbook.  I do agree that the Mac is far ahead of Windows as far as MY EXPERIENCE (Please don't start any flames from that comment).

I am going in the opposite direction  than you are.  I am interested in seeing how close to a "Modern Computer" I can get with my Classic A4000 w/Phase5 PPC/68060 running OS4 and/or MorphOS.  I know it won't compete speed wise or feature wise, but I want to see what the feel of the experience is like compared to those other, so called "Modern Computers".  I am going to thin out my Amiga collection and spend the money I make on more Amiga hard&software to push the Classic Amiga as far as it will go.  (PCI addon w/video card & TV tuner, USB, etc.)

After all, AOS 4.0 will be released in just two more weeks, right?

(if you don't get the two more weeks joke, you have not been an Amiga user long enough to remember it)
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 03:30:38 PM »
OS X Tiger is really good. I got a 1.5Ghz PowerBook G4 (1.25Gig of RAM) recently, and really enjoy using it.

Can't wait until Apple shift to the dual core x86, then I'll get a dektop Mac too.

Offline MarkAshley

• Show only replies by MarkAshley
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 04:21:43 PM »
I'm using OSX Tiger (10.something) on my 1.4gig iBook and I love it. To me it actually feels a lot like using AmigaOS, and on my iBook it really flies. Much quicker than my A1200 even for general OS usage, I have to admit.

I still love my A1200 though  :-)
A1200
Blizzard 040/33/128MB
Mediator PCI
Voodoo 3000
All stuffed in to a D-BOX

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 04:26:02 PM »
I have to endure a 1.25GHz eMac at work running 10.3 in 256MB ram on a third rate graphics card. Naturally, I love it...
int p; // A

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 05:13:22 PM »

Karlos wrote:
I have to endure a 1.25GHz eMac at work running 10.3 in 256MB ram on a third rate graphics card. Naturally, I love it...

Any MacOS before 10.4 was not good, certainly I was never tempted to part with any cold hard cash... I can feel your pain with ony 256megs, OS X needs at least twice that to be happy. Though with a decent CPU (ie 2Ghz Athlon64), 10.4 runs fine in VESA2.0 mode ;-)

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 05:21:05 PM »
What's are the major differences between Panther and Tiger?  I have 10.3.9 on an old G3 and it's acceptable, but nothing that special.  I would try Tiger but I'd expect it to be slower and more bloated on my budget system.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline MskoDestny

• Show only replies by MskoDestny
    • http://www.retrodev.com
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2005, 05:37:29 PM »

adolescent wrote:
What's are the major differences between Panther and Tiger?  I have 10.3.9 on an old G3 and it's acceptable, but nothing that special.  I would try Tiger but I'd expect it to be slower and more bloated on my budget system.

Tiger runs like garbage on G3 machines. It's the first version of the OS that runs slower than the previous one. Spotlight and Dashboard are the two "big" features. For me spotlight is useless because it won't search the system folders (I still haven't figured out how to get around this in Tiger). Dashboard is kind of neat for a litte while, but the general consensus seems to be it's not terribly useful in the long run. CoreImage is pretty cool, but on a G3 I doubt it would work very well. At release time Tiger was also kind of buggy, though that may have been cleaned up by now.

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2005, 06:09:20 PM »

Karlos wrote:

I knew we'd eventually break you.  :-D
(Yes, I did spot the sarcasm)

One thing I've noticed , is that I'm a lot more relaxed after switching from Winblows to OSX. After using windows since the 3.1 days I finally had enough, got fed up with fighting with the damn machine.
 After 6 months of using OSX, I havent had to punch it once, I spend more time working instead of virus & malware scanning and patching etc. etc.
On schedule, and suing

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2005, 08:24:18 PM »
@Doobrey

On capable hardware I have no doubt OSX performs very well, just not at work on the machine I have to use.

Still, for a while I had to use OSX 10.2 on an original iMac 400MHz G3 with 128MB, I was close to punching that every day ;-)

One of my principal gripes with OSX relate to my super evovled next generation colour perception and the fact that OSX still doesn't let me define "highlighted text foreground colour = X, highlighted text background colour = Y". You may only set the background colour or invert the whole scheme (as part of the accessibility options - :lol:)

I mean, how elementally simple is that? I know it is mac tradition to limit the complexity of the interface so that even the interior designer types can get to grips with it, but please, even they can grasp the idea of more than one colour at a time :lol:

As for the local fileserver (OSX Server) dying to the point of total non bootability because file permissions may have been messed up (despite only allowing remote access to the staff), that is just pathetic. When informed that 'you did keep an eye on permissions and repaired them to keep it all tickety boo' by my local mac expert I was aghast. I mean wow, I have to remember to fix problems that shouldn't really arise anyway and before they do?

It was just a local file repository on the LAN with individual user accounts, none of which had any kind of permission to access stuff outside their home folder. How could it get so corrupted in the first place :-?

Hence my sentiment now: "Don't be fooled by the glitz of OSX, some day it is going to come and bite you hard on the arse."
int p; // A