Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: (moved) Battery backed up clock won't work!  (Read 7003 times)

Description:

Offline ShaneAirplaneTopic starter

• Show only replies by ShaneAirplane
(moved) Battery backed up clock won't work!
« on: February 17, 2010, 05:05:16 PM »
To: All

I bought a coin battery and holder for the Amiga power case. The old battery was removed and I soldered the new battery in place following the directions http://www.littlesaigonincometax.com/amiga2000.htm and after testing it with a muti-meter the battery shows the proper volts. but when I load or try to save the battery it says battery backup not found? Any ideas as to why its not working?

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Re: (moved) Battery backed up clock won't work!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 07:02:57 PM »
Thread moved
int p; // A

Offline 68KAmiga

• Show only replies by 68KAmiga
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 09:56:17 PM »
Hello,

it is possible that the Battery has damaged your Clock relevanted Chips in the last year so the clock canĀ“t work 100%.

Do you see any green stuff around the Batterie on the Ic`s?

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 06:01:40 AM »
I looked on the motherboard and saw no damage. Any other ideas as to why it will not work.

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 07:31:50 AM »
Just follow the trace from the diode to the RTC chip with a voltmeter, the voltage must go somewhere.

Offline Thomas

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 08:00:08 AM »
Quote from: ShaneAirplane;544793
Any other ideas as to why it will not work.

Perhaps it's just stuck. Open a shell window and enter Setclock Reset. If it still does not work, try this: http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.de/download/RestartClock.lha

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 08:52:30 PM »
Wanted to say 'Thanks' Thomas for that link. After performing the same hack as the OP (lithium cell upgrade), the clock in my A3000 no longer worked and was stuck at a certain date. Even after removing and reseating the I.C. next to it. SysInfo even reported that there was NO clock. After resetting the bits from your program, SysInfo now sees the clock and I am able to set the date and time. Not sure how accurate it keeps time (seems really slow), so going to fiddle with the pot next to it and see if that helps. There was a little bit of acid damage on a diode and another component, but nothing too bad. Using a DMM, I determined that the components are okay.

Thanks again!

Offline Thomas

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 09:15:23 PM »
One feature of the clock chip is a register which will cause the clock to stop if it is set to 1. On the other hand the method to detect if a clock is present is to read the time once, wait a second and then check if the time has changed. This means if a program stops the clock (maybe by accident), it is no longer recognised until the register is reset to 0 (which will not be done by the OS because the OS thinks there is no clock).

Whatever, I didn't know all that when I wrote the RestartClock program. It just uses the brute force method: it fills the entire address space of the clock with zeroes. It does not care if there is a clock or not.

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 05:28:45 AM »
Quote from: Thomas;544799
Perhaps it's just stuck. Open a shell window and enter Setclock Reset. If it still does not work, try this: http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.de/download/RestartClock.lha

I tried the program Restartclock it comes up with two errors when i run it on my Amiga 4000 it gets two errors. Wrong number of arguments and set clock failed return code 20?

Any Ideas?

Offline Thomas

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 07:47:01 AM »
The program was written for WB 1.3, it uses setclock opt load instead of setclock load. Don't worry, just check if the clock is running again.

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 08:46:16 AM »
Quote from: Thomas;545678
The program was written for WB 1.3, it uses setclock opt load instead of setclock load. Don't worry, just check if the clock is running again.

The clock works but it won't save the time when the computer is shut off and turned back on!!!

Offline Castellen

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 08:54:31 AM »
Quote from: ShaneAirplane;545685
The clock works but it won't save the time when the computer is shut off and turned back on!!!

I've written a guide on RTC repair which can help you find and repair the problem.  Failing that, I can provide you with an price estimate to repair the problem.

Offline Grega

• Show only replies by Grega
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 08:55:03 AM »
sorry for the thread dig but the schematic worked wonders, acid had killed the solder pad so no continuity from battery neg to 8 or other leg of cap ; bit of jumper wire, now that there is the thing works a treat.

thanks all - esp castellan :)