Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Having fun with HAM8 videos @ 25 FPS for 3+ minutes  (Read 17583 times)

Description:

Offline chris

Re: Having fun with HAM8 videos
« on: December 05, 2016, 12:02:42 AM »
Presumably it is "easy" to convert from what you have to a full CDXL file with audio?  You might have to lose some resolution though, I think CDXL only supports up to 3/4 screen resolution (although that may well have been a limit to what the hardware could play back, rather than the format).
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline chris

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 04:59:48 PM »
Quote from: atron;817324
Yes CDXL looks interesting, but I couldn't find any player nor converter  for it. My main interest then became to use this new HAM8 converter  (png2ilbm, released in 2015) as it produces excellent HAM8 conversion  results. If the HAM8 conversion of a CDXL converter is of similar  quality and it also adds sound, then that would of course be awesome  (however, playing sound also requires some resources, etc.)

There are a few players.  Multiview is one, have a look on Aminet for others (looks like there's an improved CDXL Datatype on there too, which supports the palette-per-frame you will need).

As for creating them... the only tools I know of are the old Commodore ones (I've never used them).  I'll have a quick nose around the DevCD tonight and see what they do!
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion

Offline chris

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 06:22:08 PM »
Quote from: chris;817350
As for creating them... the only tools I know of are the old Commodore ones (I've never used them).  I'll have a quick nose around the DevCD tonight and see what they do!

Right.. the XL Toolkit 1.10 is on the DevCD.  There's an AdPro loader/saver for CDXL.  It also contains a load of command line tools and limited documentation on how to use them, but running with no arguments gives a bit of info.
XLMake looks like it quite simply takes a batch of IFF files and compiles them into a CDXL. It has an audio option but I don't really understand it.
XLAudio inserts audio into an existing CDXL, I think it needs to be an IFF file again, I'm guessing 8SVX.
I didn't try them out but if they don't object to your frames they should just work!

There appears to be a legally dubious archive of the XL Toolkit on http://cd32-allianz.de/ under Entwickler - Einführung.