Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: RJ's Greatest Regret  (Read 787 times)

Description:

Offline PentadTopic starter

RJ's Greatest Regret
« on: August 19, 2016, 06:38:22 PM »
At the 30th celebration, RJ mentioned that one of his biggest regrets was removing the text background in the Boing Ball demo when Commodore bought Amiga, Inc.  He said that it would have made the demo that much harder to duplicate on other platforms.

I had never seen the Amiga Inc. Boing Ball demo nor had I seen any photos of it.

Recently, I just happened to stumble across a photo of it in Compute! (09/85) and thought I would share it.  Apologies if you all have seen it before. I wish this demo was still available somewhere.

Cheers!
-P
Linux User (Arch & OpenSUSE TW) - WinUAE via WINE

Offline paul1981

Re: RJ's Greatest Regret
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 07:15:42 PM »
I wonder why he didn't just change the text? Wasn't the whole demo a rush job anyway? It doesn't exactly show off the Amiga's capabilities, but it hints at them.

It always makes me chuckle when lesser platforms copy it or improve upon it, or take the mick out of it.

Offline Rob

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 09:09:24 PM »
@ Pentad

I wasn't aware of this.  Thanks for sharing.

@paul1981

It seems quite crude today but it really wowed everyone at the time.  Did the Juggler demo get copied much.  I had a version for he Sam Coupe which featured the Sam robot mascot.  I actually prefer the Sam version.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 06:55:12 PM »
Quote from: paul1981;812809
I wonder why he didn't just change the text? Wasn't the whole demo a rush job anyway? It doesn't exactly show off the Amiga's capabilities, but it hints at them.

From what he said they were told they had to take "amiga computer inc" off of it when commodore bought them and instead of putting commodore on there instead, they chose to put nothing instead as a protest.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 06:57:45 PM by psxphill »