Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 20 Questions with Alan Redhouse  (Read 7443 times)

Description:

Offline Magic-Merl

• Show only replies by Magic-Merl
Re: 20 Questions with Alan Redhouse
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2005, 05:07:56 PM »
In this day and age what spec will catch the eye of the user.

State of the art video capture out of the box with something like fruity loops as standard to write soundtracks.

full 3D sprites and ituitive development environment.

That would take years to develop.  I agree with you that this is what is needed.  But there is never going to be a chance of this happening.

Offline Unisys

• Show only replies by Unisys
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2005, 05:24:07 PM »
Was not a personal attack against Alan Redhouse.

So what should i say then? Alan is the best thing for the Amiga and all his screw ups are greatly appreciated?. There is no clear way of saying Alan is a walking disaster and the Amiga would be better of without the likes of him.

Offline SystemTopic starter

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2005, 05:28:50 PM »
In this day and age what spec will catch the eye of the user.

To their credit, this is one thing that Amiga Inc understood but ignored.  The correct answer is "none".

People who buy machines these days (game, servers, or desktop) don't care what hardware it's running.  They simply care that it works and does the exact job that they want it to with a minimum of fuss.  Good examples of this include the XBox, PS2, Tivo, and others.  

If Amiga Inc could have built a box that I could buy, bring home, plug in and have it "just work", they might have stood a chance.  Instead, they went with a closed-end, outdated, and expensive PPC solution that got us nowhere, even FIVE YEARS LATER.  (I tried to explain this in 2001 and was kicked out of their little club, but hey, at least several good people's lives got ruined in the meantime)

The future is the same as it always was.  The classic platform.

Wayne

Offline x56h34

• Show only replies by x56h34
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2005, 05:32:59 PM »
@Unisys:

Why such negativity? Do you really believe that anything better than the present state things are in could have been accomplished? Perhaps in theory if there was a single, united next-gen Amiga project available from the start (before the blue/red wars) things could have possibly, slightly, been better than they are right now, however realistically looking at things...what chance does Amiga have as a serious platform outside of the enthusiasts market? What chance did it ever have, after the fall of Commodore?

The way I see it, Alan simply provided a solution for the enthusiasm to keep on going, and nothing more. Hey, it would have been nice if the AmigaOne project were cheaper for the end-user, however with such a small market, it was simply not possible. Last but not least, there are tons of cheap and way more efficient hardware solutions out there that get the job done quite well. It's not the end of the world. :-)

Offline SystemTopic starter

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2005, 05:37:13 PM »
Was not a personal attack against Alan Redhouse.

I beg to differ, as would most people here.

I'm not AT ALL suggesting that Alan didn't play a pivotal role in the problems here, but coming out in a public forum saying that he should just "go away and die" (paraphrasing) is, in fact, a personal attack.  

I'm NOT suggesting that we should kiss anyone's a*s or even to sweep things under the rug.  There are (and have been) MAJOR problems with their chosen direction for the Amiga platform, but direct personal attacks on Alan himself (who did apparently try to succeed despite all odds) or anyone else is simply bad form.

If you wanted to say "Eyetech sucks" or "Hyperion blows" or even "Genesi sucks", that's fine as long as you share with it real reasons for your opinion, but saying "Alan sucks" is a personal attack.

I can't believe that I would need to explain the difference :-)

Wayne

Note: Edited by Ltstanfo on 060805. Reason... Language

Offline Gav

• Show only replies by Gav
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2005, 05:46:23 PM »
Oh well my 1200/060 machine is working fine for what i want it for and it is my amiga future with elbox`s help...
A1200,BPPC603e+@240mhz-060@50mhz/Scsi2 192mb,Powerflyer,Mediator SX,Voodoo 3000,SB128,Tv card,SD/FF,Ethernet,CDRW.

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2005, 05:53:55 PM »
We all wanted the AmigaOne to be the harbinger of a new generation of machines.  Sure, we knew that Wintel was never going to be under threat, but we hoped for a day when you could buy a new Amiga which could at least hold it's own with more modern machinery.

I guess that Alan and many others all had the same dream, and I'm saddened that there will be one less alternative to the Wintel monopoly.
Cecilia for President

Offline x56h34

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2005, 05:58:59 PM »
I guess that Alan and many others all had the same dream, and I'm saddened that there will be one less alternative to the Wintel monopoly.

Monopoly or not, the prices and availability of hardware out there have never been better. :-)
Plus it gets the job done and then some.

I don't understand why anyone should hate windows these days as they did (rightfully so, during it's early, uprising stages)? It's remarkably stable. :-)

Offline Unisys

• Show only replies by Unisys
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2005, 06:16:21 PM »
@x56h34

Why such negativity?

Why not? Alan has lied and betrayed Amiga users for quite a while now. He blames everything on dealers,Amiga users and anyone else he thinks would make a good fall guy, also Alan tried to cover up known problems with the Amigaone hardware Then to top it off Alan then expects people to pay for a fix due his own stupidity and quickly pushes Amigaone sales to Stellar Dreams to save himself from warranty repairs.

This man should have cut his losses from the start instead of getting deeper in things which he cleary did not understand. The Amiga users should not accept this, as for the ass kissing that just disgusts me - the Amiga users should have pride instead of being happy with whatever crap gets thrown at you.

Offline x56h34

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2005, 06:24:21 PM »
That's the price you have to pay for not treating all of this as a hobby. :-)

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2005, 06:25:07 PM »
But alas no. I think the best we can hope for is the Amiga in a joystick where we can play Kick Off and 1000 other games 'till our hearts content.

I find it damn odd that Amiga INC never thought of that.. I am sure they would have sold like hell, especially if it had some kind of flash card/memory card reader, so that you can upgrade it with more games later on. But no, they decided to develope a product that no one wants. "amigaanywhere"

Offline Magic-Merl

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2005, 06:32:43 PM »
Quote :

I don't understand why anyone should hate windows these days as they did (rightfully so, during it's early, uprising stages)? It's remarkably stable.

So is Fedora and quite frankly a pleasure to use.  That is not the issue.

I do agree with Unisys in that Alan is personally responsible for company policy within Eyetech and he personally - lets say misinformed - the "Amiga Enthuiast" into believing the A1 was the way to go.

As a businessman would he have made that comment prior to the A1 being manufactured/distributed. NO.

No he did it once the sales had dwindled and there was very little left in it for himself.

I feel sorry for the likes of Hyperion.  The years of development of OS4, the dedication of it's staff so that one person piss on the one burning fire left within the community.

This sounds like a very big Ebay scam, a little more organised but the intention was to provide a dated product to a hungry market with a bleak future.

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2005, 06:39:27 PM »
I don't understand why anyone should hate windows these days as they did (rightfully so, during it's early, uprising stages)? It's remarkably stable.

It is quite stable today yeah, but is also very bloated and slow even on modern computers. It is also full of useless features that cannot be turned off unless you hack the registery yourself.

But this is my opinion...

Offline Doppie1200

• Show only replies by Doppie1200
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2005, 06:42:03 PM »
XP is very stable. At least, if you use the right hardware. B-brands and other cheap things can cause trouble but if you go for proven configurations XP is great.

I think that what was stated earlier is correct. Where was amiga after commodore collapsed?

I remember a post on some usenet group (I looked it up for you) where an ex commodore employee replied someone;

>Please understand this: CBM USA might be dead, but the Amiga is _VERY_ well
 >alive!!!!!!!!!! It will continue selling just like before, and we have
 >nothing to worry about support because in the first place we never got any
 >from C=.
 >
 >So, don't panic, Amiga has a long way to go, and the upcoming AAA Amigas
 >will make a big splah when they come out (they'll give SGI a run for the
 >money).

You've been into the weed again, haven't you? Or just spending too much
time with Jim Drew. Man, oh man. Who the hell do you think MAKES Amigas?
Geez.

I think that sums it up pretty well.

edited by admin because user posted long URL

Just my 2 cents
Regards,
Erno

(O\\\\_|_/O) <- this is supposed to look like the front of my beetle
(entire front not possible in signature)

Offline Magic-Merl

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2005, 06:45:04 PM »
When I first started to use Linux and started to delve into it's features I once read a question from another newbie which went along the lines of -:

Question - I am trying to install many applications onto my Linux box as I can to make it comparable to my Windows 200 setup.  One thing I am trying to locate is a program to defrag the hard drive can anyone help.

Answer - THIS is linux - not Windows. We don't need to defrag.

Testament to an OS & it's filesystem.  Not that I am promoting Linux as there are many alternatives, I used Windoze since it's inception way way back and I don't believe you can justify an OS so bloated and unreliable.  I know it's unreliable because why else would you need to repair the registry so often.

Offline x56h34

« Reply #29 from previous page: June 06, 2005, 06:45:28 PM »
@Magic-Merl:

I doubt that Alan made millions from his AmigaOne scam and is laughing at us right now. :-) He should at least get a pat on the back for trying, IMHO. That takes courage too.

You simply have to rationally think about all of this before venturing into a purchase such as AmigaOne or Pegasos. Ask yourself what are the odds of such hardware/OS delivering any serious software, and for that matter staying competitive with today's computer world? Think rationally and make your decision. Anyone with a half of brain could have realized that AmigaOne and Pegasos (I'm using Pegasos as an equally risky purchase example only) were not very promising as far as anything, yet could be only viable for enthusiastic purposes, so there are lots of people that bought one or both for those very reasons. True, there are fanatics out there that expected next gen Amiga hardware to become a dominant choice in the computer hardware market today, but as I said before, realistically, with no emotions involved please...what are the odds of that ever happening? I think that we should really be happy that someone delivered something, and take it for what it's worth.

All in my own opinion, of course.