Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 20 Questions with Alan Redhouse  (Read 7449 times)

Description:

Offline x56h34

• Show all replies
Re: 20 Questions with Alan Redhouse
« on: June 06, 2005, 02:41:07 PM »
It's been confirmed folks, the Amiga is just a hobby. Now that the AmigaOne issue has been officially settled (with Alan's interview) can we please get back to just enjoying the Amigas we have (the classics as well as the AmigaOnes and Pegasos boxes) rather than pretending that everything new is so critically important to the success of the platform?

You've basically put it all in perspective with the above part. Amiga is a nice little (and expensive) hobby nowadays, whether it be the AmigaOne, Pegasos, Emulation, or the classic side...and there's nothing wrong with that, of course. :-) It's still very fun. No reason to get worked up over it. Just enjoy it for what it is.

Offline x56h34

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 05:32:59 PM »
@Unisys:

Why such negativity? Do you really believe that anything better than the present state things are in could have been accomplished? Perhaps in theory if there was a single, united next-gen Amiga project available from the start (before the blue/red wars) things could have possibly, slightly, been better than they are right now, however realistically looking at things...what chance does Amiga have as a serious platform outside of the enthusiasts market? What chance did it ever have, after the fall of Commodore?

The way I see it, Alan simply provided a solution for the enthusiasm to keep on going, and nothing more. Hey, it would have been nice if the AmigaOne project were cheaper for the end-user, however with such a small market, it was simply not possible. Last but not least, there are tons of cheap and way more efficient hardware solutions out there that get the job done quite well. It's not the end of the world. :-)

Offline x56h34

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 05:58:59 PM »
I guess that Alan and many others all had the same dream, and I'm saddened that there will be one less alternative to the Wintel monopoly.

Monopoly or not, the prices and availability of hardware out there have never been better. :-)
Plus it gets the job done and then some.

I don't understand why anyone should hate windows these days as they did (rightfully so, during it's early, uprising stages)? It's remarkably stable. :-)

Offline x56h34

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 06:24:21 PM »
That's the price you have to pay for not treating all of this as a hobby. :-)

Offline x56h34

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 06:45:28 PM »
@Magic-Merl:

I doubt that Alan made millions from his AmigaOne scam and is laughing at us right now. :-) He should at least get a pat on the back for trying, IMHO. That takes courage too.

You simply have to rationally think about all of this before venturing into a purchase such as AmigaOne or Pegasos. Ask yourself what are the odds of such hardware/OS delivering any serious software, and for that matter staying competitive with today's computer world? Think rationally and make your decision. Anyone with a half of brain could have realized that AmigaOne and Pegasos (I'm using Pegasos as an equally risky purchase example only) were not very promising as far as anything, yet could be only viable for enthusiastic purposes, so there are lots of people that bought one or both for those very reasons. True, there are fanatics out there that expected next gen Amiga hardware to become a dominant choice in the computer hardware market today, but as I said before, realistically, with no emotions involved please...what are the odds of that ever happening? I think that we should really be happy that someone delivered something, and take it for what it's worth.

All in my own opinion, of course.

Offline x56h34

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 07:07:31 PM »
@Magic-Merl:

It'll be interesting to see how Hyperion will handle OS4.0 from this point in regards to the AmigaOne/Eyetech situation. Probably the best thing for them would be to expand on the OS4.0 supported hardware, however it seems that there are limitations on this due to licensing, as you've mentioned in your last post.