Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New iMac  (Read 5683 times)

Description:

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.som99.se
Re: New iMac
« on: October 30, 2014, 07:22:25 PM »
Quote from: bbond007;776178
5K display paired with a GPU with 2GB.... what a joke... thanks apple

In my experience, to run 5760x1024 (for gaming) sometimes a single r9 290x can't get the job done and you need two....

Uhm, a single 280x isn't even close to playable framerates at 4k even.
The spanking new fast Geforce GTX 980 can't handle 4K good enough on it's own either and it's a lot faster then the 280x, near 70% faster overall in gaming performance (also the 280x is basically just a 7970).

Also the 280x in crossfire ain't enough to pull off 4K in modern games even, 2x GTX 980 in SLI is starting to get close to a steady acceptable framerate in 4K.

Don't forget that 5K (5120x2880) resolution is a staggering 67% more pixels then 4K (3840×2160).

And since not the top gaming cards in SLI/CF can handle 4K yet there is no chance in hell that iMacs can even come close to handle 5K in games with the mobility graphics circuits (Mobility Radeon R9 M290X and M295X).

So the iMacs god awful to slow GPU's can't even get close to handle gaming in 5K.

Also please explain "in my experience" since the 280x don't even come close to 60fps as maximum FPS in 4K. So what games are you talking about that 2x 280x can handle in 5K and a single one can since not even 2x 280x can handle most tiles in 4K?

Nah, if anyone want's the new iMac it ain't for gaming in 5K, it will play in way lower resolutions then 5K.

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 08:14:51 PM »
Quote from: JJ;776301
For audio windows does not come close. That goes for android too. But anyway was just impressed with the screen.  Would be great for audio too all that real estate

Say what?
Don't go logic pro x vs ableton vs cubase discussion, all have pros and cons OSX aint doing audio production better than Windows nowdays.

It's all about the producer not the software or OS flavour.

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 02:46:29 PM »
Quote from: JJ;776489
I am not talking about the software but the audio sub system

Well lets put it this way.  I cannot get rid of latency spikes on windows drivers.   There is nothing in windows API that forces good bahaviour of driver.

Audio sub system on mac is joy to use. Audio routing on mac is a breeze

I'm using external hardware and ASIO, both a PCI-E sound card (Asus Xonar essence STX) and a USB tracker and I do not feel the driver latency spikes you are talking about.
I am only a hobbyist enjoying my electric guitars and doing it because I enjoy it.

But friends of mine are professionals using Windows instead of OSX and we have talked about this matter on both software and hardware level with the same conclusion.

I can not answer your problems without looking at your hardware and settings/drivers.
Iv'e seen problems in latancy matters on both systems from users.

So I would not call one or another system superior for music production, I see them equal and it's down to the user.