Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Teleportation breakthrough with atoms =D  (Read 3894 times)

Description:

Offline mdwh2

• Show all replies
Re: Teleportation breakthrough with atoms =D
« on: June 20, 2004, 04:29:44 PM »

Cymric wrote:
1. Most importantly, it was 'beaming' of the state of an atom, not of the atom itself. This isn't moving matter from place A to place B, but transferring a property of matter from place A to place B---which already has the same matter available. Two very different things.
I'm not saying that this experiment brings us any closer to Star Trek style teleportation - I don't know enough to comment - but teleportation *is* most commonly used to mean not transferring the actual atoms, but instead transferring the information and rebuilding elsewhere where the matter is already available. So the way you describe them, they are the same sort of thing.

Offline mdwh2

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 08:16:53 PM »

KennyR wrote:
Blobrana wrote:
Hum, it's just like the carpet (space-time) instantaneously reaches all the wall of a room; but things on the carpet have to travel no faster than light speed...

No, it really is instantaneous. It works by quantum pairing entanglements, so called EPR. So the Andromedans can get Debbie Does Dallas this aeon after all.
I don't think so - I'm sure I've read that quantum teleportation doesn't allow information to be transmitted faster than light (eg, see http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SpeedOfLight/FTL.html#9 ). And besides, this would violate special relativity, I haven't heard anyone claim that this has happened as a result of these experiments.

Offline mdwh2

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 08:18:19 PM »

mikeymike wrote:
I think the whole 'matter cannot be made or destroyed' principle gets rid of the idea that you can simply make something blink out of existence then back in again.  It has to go somewhere and back again.
You mean "energy cannot be created or destroyed". Matter is a form of energy, and it can certainly be created to and from other forms of energy.