Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga.Org users encouraged to help debate  (Read 4550 times)

Description:

Offline JLF65

• Show all replies
Re: Amiga.Org users encoraged to help debate
« on: February 26, 2006, 10:40:28 PM »
People are getting confused, but an airplane is not a car - the thrust doesn't come from the wheels. Took me less than a second to decide the correct answer is yes, the jet takes off.

Offline JLF65

• Show all replies
Re: Amiga.Org users encoraged to help debate
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 11:48:12 PM »

blobrana wrote:
Lol.
Took me less than a second to decide the correct answer is No.

It’s simple physics.

There is no forward motion. (It does not matter if it comes form wheels, jets, magnets or rubber bands etc)

No forward motion  = no air flow = no lift...

Wow. You flunked physics, obviously. A plane's motion is due to thrust from the engine/propellor against the frame, not from the motion of the wheels.

The jet engine applies force to the plane, which starts to move. The conveyor belt starts to move the opposite direction at the same speed, but all it's doing it TURNING THE WHEELS! The wheels have NO EFFECT on the speed of the plane (assuming the brake isn't set). The jet engine keeps thrusting the plane forward faster while the conveyor belt keeps turning the wheels faster WITH NO EFFECT ON THE FORWARD MOTION OF THE PLANE! The plane reaches take off speed and takes off.

Offline JLF65

• Show all replies
Re: Amiga.Org users encouraged to help debate
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 05:46:25 PM »
That's what made me pause a second when I first read it. It's deliberately misleading in an effort to make you think about it in the wrong manner to provoke an incorrect answer. They state the problem in a manner to make people think about a jogger on a treadmill whose net velocity with respect to the ground is 0. That's not what it is, though. This problem would be more like a jogger on a treadmill wearing a jet pack and roller skates. The treadmill would simply turn the wheels of the roller skates while the jet pack blasted the person forward irrespective of the treadmill's speed.  :-D  :lol: