Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PPC is bad bad bad  (Read 35003 times)

Description:

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
Re: PPC is bad bad bad
« Reply #104 from previous page: May 04, 2002, 02:19:05 PM »
I'd be more impressed if the trolls learned how to spell.

So everyone who hasn't learned english as his/hers native language is a troll ?

A troll is someone who only post to insult or spreads false information.

The pro-x86 people aren't trolls, they just have a different oppinon.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2002, 03:09:37 PM »
What you say is reasonably valid, but I wouldn't use anything that the guy at emulators.com has written as evidence. He has no credibility.

The point is, IF you have some code that can be sped up by SSE, or SSE2, or 3DNow!, you can do a simple CPUID command to see if it is supported, and if it is, you call the SSE/SSE2/3DNow! routine, otherwise you call the generic routine. There are not a plethora of instruction sets - there is x86, and generally you will just code in C for the most part, with *speed critical* regions coded with the above methodology.

Yes, the Amiga was a computer with console hardware stability. At the time, the PC was though. Things have changed from a new CPU release every year to a new CPU release every quarter, a new graphics system every 6 months. This makes the PC superior for those that want this, and for everybody else they can pick up damn fast computers for very little money.

There is no need to write in machine code except for speed critical regions - you most used inner loops, etc, and only if they can be enhanced by using code that the compiler cannot generate.

« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2002, 07:14:58 PM »
MWHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline anarchic_teapot

• Show only replies by anarchic_teapot
    • http://anarchic-teapot.net
« Reply #107 on: May 04, 2002, 07:23:34 PM »

Kronos wrote:

So everyone who hasn't learned english as his/hers native language is a troll ?

Elementary logic lesson: "Trolls tend to have poor grammar and spelling" does not equal "All people who have poor grammar/spelling in English are trolls"

I daren't even add that trolls almost inevitably have poor reading comprehension skills, even though the same logic applies.

Morality: always take walk round block to cool off before sending bad-tempered messages.

Cheers,

Rose
AT

Offline jumpship

• Show only replies by jumpship
    • http://onlyamiga.kicks-ass.net
« Reply #108 on: May 04, 2002, 08:13:47 PM »
:lol: I think that this thread has gone on long enough!

It started off as a "my cpu is better then yours" type of thing, now we have an english lesson!

What next? I wait in anticipation :-D

Come on people! Lets not get dogged down in bitching with each other, just have some disscussion and a bit of fun!

And I am sorry if my bad spelling offends anyone ;-)

« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2002, 08:21:50 PM »
How about a political diatribe, jumpship?

Just tell me if you'd like one.

Be seeing you.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2002, 08:26:24 PM »
Typical terrorist behavior, you gonna try and eliminate all amiga users now? People like you sicken me.

Say what?
 :-?
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline jumpship

• Show only replies by jumpship
    • http://onlyamiga.kicks-ass.net
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2002, 08:39:52 PM »

I don't mean any offence, all I mean is the subject was about an opinion that x86 is better then PPC. Then it got into something completely irelivent which could be insulting to people who may not have english as thier first language. Hell I am english and I can't spell (no doubt you can tell from this very paragraph! :lol:)

I just feel that some folk take this all a bit too seriously and need to take some things with a pinch of salt and move on.

IMHO anyway

Offline Valan

• Show only replies by Valan
    • http://www.creativepixels.com.hk
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2002, 09:13:13 PM »
Yes, with the lack of developement on Amiga OS and decent H/W Lightwave has been held back.

The renderer slows down when rendering is displayed in a window. Renders are not shown at their true resolution as they are rendered. The HUB has minimum communication abilities. The object cannot move while being modeled.

Also I think the lack of raytracing competition has also held back the development of LW rendering abilities. On the Amiga it had Imagine, Sculpt3d, Real3D, Alladin and Cinema4D in the same market. It's only recently has LW had any competition in the PC world.

LW[7.5] has great speed improvements and the Expression builder is great for automated movement or effects. Sliders, object selection and motion blur/DoF in Layout work really well. Multiple bounces and clearer caustics will help some. But still I wonder where it would be if the Amiga had continued to be developed.
Of course it is a waste of time to sit and wonder, and that is why we are glad that any work is being done to get us new H/W.

Valan

« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2002, 10:52:09 PM »
so your saying lightwave renderd faster on an 060 then on current X86?....

who the hell wants to see a preview of the saved resolution i dont...render preview at 320x320 is fine...and you can adjust the render preview size BTW.
as for not bieng able to move as you model you must be takeing some pretty sweet drugs because on my planet we move the object all we want with the 'move' button

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2002, 12:33:58 AM »
Hey there, Kronos, everybody.

Read my post again more carefully, please.  I hadn't said that.  Just because trolls tend to use poor
english doesn't mean everyone with poor english is a troll.  All squares are rectangles, but not all
rectangles are squares.  All circles are ellipses, but not all ellipses are circles.  You get the
idea.

It's been my experience that foreign students who learn english as a second language do so very well.
 They pay attention in the classroom and study and practice in their free time, because learning the
new language is important to them.

The abuses I listed in my earlier post are most common among American born-and-raised high school
-and sometimes college- students who lived all their lives speaking only one language, but never
bothered to learn it use it well.

Sorry if you mis-understood...
--
Quixote
--

« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2002, 12:47:41 AM »
it isnt the point....this thread started out as my arguement why PPC sucks...and now its gone insane.......WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2002, 04:16:31 AM »
KEEP THE TOPIC ALIVE!!!!!!

Offline kubyx

• Show only replies by kubyx
    • http://www.amigatoday.com
« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2002, 04:43:11 AM »

greenday5000 wrote:
Lets face it the amiga is a peace of junk. All you little amiga people ever talk about is how the amiga is so much better than pc’s. You people are always saying that windows is a bad os and stuff like that. But the truth is all amiga freaks run windows. I know this because there is no way in hell the amiga computers could ever have enough power to run a web browser. My little calculator can out render an amiga and go on the Internet at the same time. Why is it that when somebody makes fun of the amiga’s crapyness you always replay buy saying you don't understand the architecture. The truth is you people probably don't even know the architecture of your jelly donut.  

You're way off base, and way uneducated when it comes to Amiga!

Amiga's CAN do web browsing... there are several web browsers out, Amiga CAN play MP3's skip free, Amiga CAN render 3D, even render it in realtime... as good and better than PSX.

Hell, even the Commodore 64 can do the above, and it DOES... with a SuperCPU addon that plugs into the Commodore 64 exspansion slot in the back. :-)

So, until you know what you are talking about, keep your fingers "quiet".
Amiga Today - http://www.amigatoday.com

Amiga A1200, Blizzard 1260 060@50Mhz, 32mb Fast Ram, 250Meg hard drive, Squirrel SCSI, 4x CD-ROM, Magnvox 80 column monitor, ZOOM 56k modem, Amiga OS 3.5

Offline Valan

• Show only replies by Valan
    • http://www.creativepixels.com.hk
« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2002, 04:49:19 AM »
As I said in my original post I have NOT seen a RECENT benchmark were the fastest PPC renders quicker than an x86 machine. I guess that would include an '060 also.

Sorry I thought you were familiar with Lightwave on the Amiga.

"Renders are not shown at their true resolution as they are rendered."
On the Amiga the render rendered on another screen in the correct resolution, no slowdown of the renderer and in a screen res and colour depth configured by the user. Currently the rendering screen can only have 3 selections; Off, 320x240 or 640x480.

"The object cannot move while being modeled."
The sentence says "cannot move" NOT, cannot BE MOVED. On the Amiga the 3D perspective view ossilated as/while/at the same time as, the user modelled.

Your original post seemed to suggest to use x86 rather than PPC. Although I understand your view I also understand that the AmigaOS can better use the resorces of a PPC  than a Win machine, even though it runs at a greater Mhz rate.

Valan

« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2002, 08:02:33 AM »
keep the topic alive