Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wow, I finaly found the title of one of my favorite movies that I've only seen once!!  (Read 1977 times)

Description:

Offline iamaboringpersonTopic starter

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
Defending your life.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101698/

I've never felt happier after watching a movie, than after watching this. In fact, I've probably never felt happier ... full stop!

It's been almost 15 years since I saw this. And since then it has been one of my favorite movies.

I'll have to buy it on DVD, though. And see if I still like it, or whether it was just something I liked in my teens.

10/10 See it! :)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
I had a similar experience with a film called "12:01".

Offline mr_a500

• Show only replies by mr_a500
I'll have to buy it on DVD, though. And see if I still like it, or whether it was just something I liked in my teens.

Yes, it's great finding obscure things you liked when you were young after searching for years. I've done lots of searching recently and made great discoveries on movies, music, games & TV shows that I liked - with only bits of information - like a piece of a title or a vague idea of the character's name. (I found the C64 "Swinth" knowing only that it was "music with lines"!)

But here's a WARNING - about 50% of the time, the thing you once liked is actually crap and it was better to have a good feeling about it than to have it ruined forever.

For example: when I was young I was blown away by "Space 1999", then I got it on DVD and it actually sucks (blown, then sucked :-D). I loved "Martian Chronicles", but then I saw how embarrassingly bad it was.

"Shogun" was as awesome as I remembered, but I still ruined the feeling by foolishly watching the "behind the scenes" stuff. Second WARNING - never watch the "behind the scenes" stuff. You won't be able to watch the movie without thinking about it.

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus

mr_a500 wrote:
But here's a WARNING - about 50% of the time, the thing you once liked is actually crap and it was better to have a good feeling about it than to have it ruined forever.

I concur with this - particularly anything from the 80s!
And particularly cartoons etc you liked as a kid.
I like Amigas

Offline lurkist

• Show only replies by lurkist
I found that with "Monkey" (aka "Monkey Magic").  Loved it as a kid, spent £££s on the box set, got about 4 episodes in and had to stop!

Incidentally, does anyone know of a horror/sci-fi film in which the bad guys / aliens throw these pizza-like things at people, sticking to them and growing tentacles which dig into their flesh?!?  I saw it as a kid when TV first went all through the night, been trying to track it down ever since.
A1200 Power Tower, Blizzard 1260 66 +32MB, OS3.9, 2.5\\" HD, IDEfix97 + DVD-RW + Zip, SD/FF + 15\\" CRT, Ioblix1200P + scanner, PCMCIA LAN + router

Offline metalman

• Show only replies by metalman

Cyberus wrote:

mr_a500 wrote:

I concur with this - particularly anything from the 80s!
And particularly cartoons etc you liked as a kid.

Bullwinkle and Rocky are still great on DVD!
Lan astaslem
The Peacemaker

lurkist wrote:
I found that with "Monkey" (aka "Monkey Magic"). Loved it as a kid, spent £££s on the box set, got about 4 episodes in and had to stop!

WTF??

That's my favorite series!

I'm not sure how many DVD's of it I have now, 7, 8, possibly more, but I'll certainly keep buying volumes of the series.

Some episodes I keep watching over and over! (Like episode 21(?), for example)

WOW! I received the DVD in the mail today, and I've already watched it.

I still thought it was great, but I didn't get the same positive feeling that I did when I first watched it.

I'd probably rate it an 8/10 now.

Although, perhaps with a couple more viewings, it could be a 9/10.

It's definitely a MUST WATCH, however!

Offline Agafaster

• Show only replies by Agafaster
yeah, it is Cheesy, but thats what makes it! I tried to wathc The Water Margin thinking it was like monkey (way back when I was that young !) its even less watchable now !

my older kids love Monkey !

oh - and I still enjoy The Pinky and The Brain (ok, maybe i was a bit old to watch it when it came out, but I was a student then !!) and the Animaniacs in general. Anvil song, anyone ?

-edit-
IIP means 'Investors In People' to me. Ugghhh !!
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
\\"Those are all cricketers, Bruce !\\"
A1XE G3/800MHz Radeon 7000 512MB
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline mr_a500

Re: lIP?
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 12:39:18 PM »
boringperson:

Why the hell are all your posts replaced with "IIP?"

Offline lurkist

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006, 05:45:06 PM »
Illegal Information Post or something?

This thread used to be called something else, and was 5 times the size.
A1200 Power Tower, Blizzard 1260 66 +32MB, OS3.9, 2.5\\" HD, IDEfix97 + DVD-RW + Zip, SD/FF + 15\\" CRT, Ioblix1200P + scanner, PCMCIA LAN + router

Offline lurkist

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 12:21:24 AM »
Quote-

Incidentally, does anyone know of a horror/sci-fi film in which the bad guys / aliens throw these pizza-like things at people, sticking to them and growing tentacles which dig into their flesh?!? I saw it as a kid when TV first went all through the night, been trying to track it down ever since.

Note to self - "Without Warning!" :)

Offline Wilse

I loved "Martian Chronicles", but then I saw how embarrassingly bad it was.

Bugger!

Sat right in my line of sight are DVD's of the complete Martian Chronicles.
I had been putting off watching it for that very reason. Don't think I'll bother now.

Offline mr_a500

I'd put off watching that until you've been dead for about a year. Even then, I wouldn't recommend watching. I'll give you a hint: Rock Hudson and crew (a bunch of moronic thugs, not scientists) finally get to Mars and all they do is sit around a campfire (this is Mars remember!), get drunk, litter and get into a fight. Only one crew member objects to the drunken littering and Rock Hudson and crew hunt him down and kill him.

There are only a couple scenes still worth watching (if you can skip directly to them - preventing your brain from becoming contaminated with the crap):

1. The very end where Rock Hudson talks to a martian - lame script, but nice music, set and lighting.

2. Near the beginning with the martian couple in their house - still silly, but nice sets and images (especially martian walking across dark landscape)

Offline Wilse

Cheers for the tips!

:pint: