Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Plea for coherent emulation program!  (Read 1995 times)

Description:

Offline thomsedaviTopic starter

• Show only replies by thomsedavi
    • http://brickdale.comicgenesis.com
Plea for coherent emulation program!
« on: May 13, 2006, 11:32:17 AM »
I downloaded an Amiga emulator onto my Mac the other day and if there's one thing it hasn't been designed for, it's user friendliness. I looked through the docs for some kind of 'idiots guide' to using the emulator, just a step-by-step guide of doing something basic like running Lemmings, but it was all so incredibly difficult to read. I'm not an emulation expert! I just want to play some old games!

I think this is the reason GUI interface interfaces were invented for computers in the first place, so that people didn't have to be computer experts to do computer computing.

I think it would be neat if there was a GUI to actually represent a physical amiga. In one window you would have the amiga screen, and it would be shaped like an actual amiga monitor. And then there would be the amiga itself, and a disk box representing all the software in your software file. And when you open the emulator the Amiga screen would have the 'insert disk' page on it, and you would click and drag disks into the diskdrive. Maybe there would even be a noise like the disk drive loading, but that could be turned off. And when the computer asks for disk 2, you would push the disk eject button, drag disk 1 back into the box and disk 2 into the drive. It wouldn't go so far as you having to click the mouse on the amiga keyboard to press a key, because that's obviously a bit too far - the physical keyboard would work fine.

:idea:

Although obviously designed for idiots, its about as much effort as I'm prepared to put in to figure out an emulator. I don't seriously expect anyone to implement this idea, as cool as that would be, but some kind of simple click-open-play design would be really fantastic...

(Alternatively, someone could point out to me an Idiots Guide to running the emulator, something based on the principle that all I want to do is play Lemmings. It's e-uae, and I have no idea what the first 'e' stands for)

Offline patrik

Re: Plea for coherent emulation program!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 11:51:09 AM »
There is a gui for E-UAE when running under OSX, which is called Hi-Toro. It doesn't really fit the spec of what you are looking for, but it is a gui.

/Patrik

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 12:37:12 PM »
WinUAE is all you need, and Windows.

I mean, other UAE incarnations are far behind WinUAE in userfriendlyness and speed (no JIT on PPC UAE).
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline Oliver

• Show only replies by Oliver
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 01:08:19 PM »
Hi,

A little while ago there was another mac user who was having trouble with UAE.  I think most of her questions were answered quite well in another topic.  You can find a list of her posts here, and have a look at this thread in particular.  Hopefully that will also address the problems you are having.

Oliver
Good good study, day day up!

Offline beller

• S.A.C.C.
    • Show only replies by beller
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 03:57:58 PM »
I found the best way to run the Amiga Forever package on the Mac, do it on an Intel Mac running XP.  Seriously, I have managed to boot UAE on the Mac, but it's nothing like the easy time Windows users have.

Bob