Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Technology Acquires Amiga.org  (Read 29082 times)

Description:

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: A-EON Technology Acquires Amiga.org
« on: June 13, 2014, 08:11:36 PM »
Man, I would never want to be a moderator on this site.  It's like being a ref in roller derby.  One of the hardest, most unrewarding jobs, everybody hates you, everybody's always yelling at you, and you're lucky if someone even buys you a beer at the after-party to say 'thanks'!  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 11:38:52 AM »
Quote from: Leffmann;766714
Amiga.org has for a long time been the main port of entry to the Amiga community, and most new and returning users come through here. It has become clear to me that Matthew Leeman of AmigaKit dislikes competition, and I think he would prefer to have a monopoly on Amiga products and services, and not see prospecting developers and new vendors entering the market. I think acquiring amiga.org is partly a business initiative to herd all these new and returning users into the AmigaKit web shop, and not let them slip away to other vendors and competing products.

Well this seems like a pretty ad hominem attack.  Typical negativity from amiga.org members, thank goodness for free speech!  :rolleyes:  I'd say it's more likely that "Matthew Leeman of AmigaKit has a thick skin, and/or is a glutton for punishment", lol.  There, I fixed that for you.  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 03:39:18 PM »
Quote from: Boot_WB;766757
I remember in the past great efforts were made to keep the site compatible with Amiga browsers. What is this baseline in practical terms? What is the most 'advanced' browser on Amiga these days (did Netscape make it to 68K)?

Although in any case it would be pretty easy to offer a redirect to an Amiga-browser friendly site for older browsers, whilst offering a more modern site by default.

I recall trying the main site on my A2000 under IBrowse a few weeks ago and had a lot of issues, however at the recommendation of a user here I tried it through a proxy (which stripped out some stuff), which worked perfectly.  Sorry I'm not in front of my Miggy right now or I could give you exact details, but that seems the best way to add new features while maintaining compatibility with older systems.