Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Was just given a PowerMac G4 Cube...  (Read 1230 times)

Description:

Offline blakespotTopic starter

• Visit ByteCellar.com
    • Show all replies
    • ByteCellar - The Vintage Computing Blog
Was just given a PowerMac G4 Cube...
« on: August 09, 2019, 06:00:09 PM »
A co-worker asked me if I would take her PowerMac G4 cube that was in storage off her hands. I was happy to oblige. :-) I've not yet dug into it to determine its particular spec.

I recall hearing that AmigaOS 4 would run on the system. I have a SAM440ep-Flex with 4.1FE and recalled talk of the G4 Cube in forum browsing in connection with my Sam. I just looked into it and I see some version of 4.0 would run it, but without network, USB, etc. and 4.1 won't run on it. So that's out.

I never have been a big MorphOS guy, feeling that it splits the community unnecessarily, but I am aware that in a number of regards it is more capable than AmigaOS 4.1. If I were to install it on this Cube, how would the speed of the system feel as compared to my ~750MHz SAM440ep-Flex? The Cube is either a 450 or 500MHz G4 w/ 1MB L2 cache and a 100MHz FSB. It probably has a Rage 128 Pro but might have a GeForce 2MX. My feeling is that it would be dramatically more performant, given that the Sam's 440ep CPU is sub-G3 technology.

I believe I could take the entire contents of my A2000's WB3.1 volumes and mount and run them under MorphOS without issue, as far as I understand. I assume that no OS4.x programs will run under MorphOS. Are many recent AmigaOS 4 apps also available for MorphOS? Are there many MorphOS-exclusives?

I am not trying to start a debate between AmigaOS and MorphOS, but I am trying to figure out what to do with this machine.

I will certainly dual boot Mac OS 9 with whatever other OS I install on the thing. (I don't see a point to running OS X on it, given several modern macOS machines I use daily.)

Thanks for the info.

bp
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 06:02:34 PM by blakespot »
:: ByteCellar.com - The Vintage Computing Weblog
:: Amigas: 1000, 2000 '020, SAM440ep-Flex