Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaKit Secures AMITCP 4 Distribution Agreement  (Read 7024 times)

Description:

Offline mfilos

• Show only replies by mfilos
    • http://mfilos.blogspot.com/
Re: AmigaKit Secures AMITCP 4 Distribution Agreement
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 07:53:08 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;746840
How does AmiTCP 4 compare to the latest Roadshow, in features and performance?

I also don't know as I haven't tried Roadshow yet, but in a thread over EAB Jens replied the following:

I also thought that Roadshow is faster, but AmiTCP kicks Roadshow's ass if you tweak cache sizes the same way.

Jens
Visit my Amiga blog here
- A600: Vampire V3, 128MB, A604n, 16GB CF, Indivision ECS, RapidRoad, MAS-Player + Custom Audio Mixer (internal), HxC SD + Slim floppy (internal)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 10:45:36 AM »
Quote from: mfilos;746882
I also don't know as I haven't tried Roadshow yet, but in a thread over EAB Jens replied the following:

Interesting!
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline amigakitTopic starter

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 11:03:30 AM »
@Matt_H

If Genesis or another GUI is part of the deal, that would be a big advantage.

Thats the point: EasyNet replaces Genesis completely with new modern features such as Wireless Network Scanning, SMB connections, VNC etc

@MFilos @rockape

Many thanks!
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline TCMSLP

• Show only replies by TCMSLP
    • http://www.coherer.net
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 01:45:44 PM »
Any suggestions of price?   Will NSDI continue to support it?   I'm guessing further development is out of the question.  So, Roadshow will continue to be the only actively developed stack?

I'm asking as I intend to purchase one or the other, just weighing up the advantages/disadvantages.

Great news though :)
A1200 50MHz 68030 16Mb, PCMCIA Ethernet, Indivision AGA MkIIcr
http://www.coherer.net Coherer: Electro!

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 01:59:02 PM »
At the very least this is an opportunity for some who have a copy of AmiTCP 4 to go legit.  I am intrigued by Jen's comment on performance, and considering that AmiTCP seems to be rather mature I don't see its development status as an issue.  EasyNet's wireless capabilities have piqued my curiosity, as well, as I have a 1200 which could be more easily portable with wireless scanning and configuration.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 02:05:13 PM »
Just curious what wireless security protocols/standards AmiTCP 4.0 supports?  Considering picking up another legacy, big box Amiga but I absolutely need WEP/WEP2 support out of a TCP stack.

Cheers in advance,
Duce

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 02:20:53 PM »
@TCMSLP

We will be providing support and we will be further developing components.

Offline mfilos

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 02:44:21 PM »
It's not a matter of AmiTCP but of the WiFi Ethernet driver.
For example Neil's prism2 driver supports WEP/WPA2 just fine. Most of us use it already with MiamiDx, AmiTCP, Genesis etc.
Visit my Amiga blog here
- A600: Vampire V3, 128MB, A604n, 16GB CF, Indivision ECS, RapidRoad, MAS-Player + Custom Audio Mixer (internal), HxC SD + Slim floppy (internal)

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 03:01:20 PM »
@MFilos

Every EasyNet wireless package we sell, a percentage in revenue goes back to Neil to pay him for his work and to encourage further development of the driver: you may have noticed the new v2.5 revision out last week from him.

New wireless features in EasyNet which are not available through the Aminet packages.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 04:44:30 PM »
Quote from: mfilos;746882

Quote:
I also thought that Roadshow is faster, but AmiTCP kicks Roadshow's ass if you tweak cache sizes the same way.

Jens

I'm a little curious about that, since the old version of MorphOS's native Netstack that was based on AmiTCP 4 (before MorphOS 3.2 was released, that introduced an updated Netstack built on a newer FreeBSD code base), was noticeably outperformed by Roadshow 68k.

I think it would be interesting to see some real, measured and verified benchmarks between AmiTCP 4 and Roadshow. Is there any?

:)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline mfilos

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 05:35:04 PM »
Well done Matthew I didn't know about that detail! Kudos!
In fact I was curious how you managed to make some things that can't be done on the free packages like Wireless network scanning.

I can't wait testing your product.

@takemehomegrandma
Indeed that would be nice. Jens was gathering info from users of Roadshow, AmiTCP, Miami, Genesis etc in this EAB thread:
http://eab.abime.net/request-other/69767-network-performance-tests.html

Never tried the tweaks like: TCP_SendSpace=16384 and TCP_RecvSpace=16384 but will surely gief it a try once EasyNet arrives :)
Visit my Amiga blog here

Offline pVC

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 06:15:53 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;746913
I'm a little curious about that, since the old version of MorphOS's native Netstack that was based on AmiTCP 4 (before MorphOS 3.2 was released, that introduced an updated Netstack built on a newer FreeBSD code base), was noticeably outperformed by Roadshow 68k.

Although that wasn't the case with all setups...

I think it would be interesting to see some real, measured and verified benchmarks between AmiTCP 4 and Roadshow. Is there any?

That's quite difficult to make. Firstly would you like LAN speeds or internet. In LAN you might get somehow comparable results, but there might not be much differences finally. And internet is quite versatile nowadays.. it's hard to make any real world tests. You never know what kind of routes data comes and is for example window scaling or other new feature needed for the best speed etc...
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 07:27:12 PM »
Quote from: pVC;746926
And internet is quite versatile nowadays.. it's hard to make any real world tests. You never know what kind of routes data comes and is for example window scaling or other new feature needed for the best speed etc...

I think you meant "volatile," but I get your meaning nonetheless.  Yes, this is what I try to explain to people when they run Internet speed tests.  These tests are not always reliable, though reliable enough in many circumstances.  For instance, ComCast houses a number of speedtest.net servers, which will produce much better results than servers outside of the ComCast network.  Especially with the peering point issues which exist with AS45-whatever and Qwest.

Offline Metalguy66

• Show only replies by Metalguy66
    • http://www.rasterline.com
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 06:00:06 PM »
Yep, it would definitely be kewl if someone took the initiative and coded some type of netspeed benchmark app for the 68k amiga, and then a corresponding "speedtest server app" that could be run on the "other end" whether that be windows, linux, amiga, etc..

This would allow you to set up controlled tests which could produce very relevant speed comparissons given the known nature of the LAN/WAN you were testing over..
------------------------------------------------------------------
kjones66@earthlink.net  http://www.rasterline.com
AMIGA & ATARI 8-BIT repairs, upgrades, mods, restoration.

Offline spirantho

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2013, 07:14:23 PM »
@MetalGuy66

When I want to benchmark something I just download a large file with a good FTP program, sometimes off the internet or maybe off another machine on the network if the connection is fast enough that the internet may be a bottleneck. That's as good a benchmark as needed, really.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline nicholas

« Reply #29 from previous page: September 04, 2013, 11:38:31 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;747036
@MetalGuy66

When I want to benchmark something I just download a large file with a good FTP program, sometimes off the internet or maybe off another machine on the network if the connection is fast enough that the internet may be a bottleneck. That's as good a benchmark as needed, really.

+1

I always use FTP across my LAN in both directions to test the speed of a particular piece of hardware or IP stack.

So far Roadshow is the fastest of all the various 68k and PPC stacks I've used but I am yet to try Jens' suggested tweaks to AmiTCP.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini