Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The OpenAmiga Standard  (Read 13769 times)

Description:

Offline bloodlineTopic starter

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: The OpenAmiga Standard
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 12, 2003, 10:17:59 AM »
Good point raised by Dan Cox on Ann...
We really should include AREXX compatibility into the openamiga spec.
Though I don't know if MOS has it? If not then they can use AROS's Regina system I guess.

Side note:
It would be ince for all programs to at least support Arexx in some way.

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2003, 01:06:48 PM »

Rodney wrote:
Well, as i see it, AmigaOS and MorphOS are supporting 3.1 APIs or something similar. Once they start to get a few native apps, they'll drop that emulation quicker then you can say, "drop that emulation" :).

So keeping up with the times is a good thing. I think what woudl also be a good thing is to try add third party apps rather than official MorphOS or AmigaOS things to the set of features/requirements.

MUI is a good example. MUI will be included in AOS4 for some time to come. It will also be avaliable in MOS and in a compatible form for AROS.

But, as i've said in the news item discussion. In stead of trying to get users/developers to use these sets of tool, i think we should push AmigaOS/MorphOS/AROS developers to work in POSIX compliant. That way, we'll benifit the community on all platforms but we'll also have a wide range of software.

I know this will be a lot more difficult, because this will require some development time, but the result i think would be much worth it.

Not that im saying this isnt a goood idea. I needs to be done. Just correctly.

As I've tried to point out, POSIX isn't really an issues here.. we are talking about things that POSIX does not cover at all!!!

In fact choosing a POSIX compatibile API will be an integral part of the openamiga standard.

-Edit- one of the reasons why I'm a keen on using AROS (or any AmigaOSoid for that matter) other than, say the rather fine, AtheOS is because I don't want just another POSIX OS... sure have support for POSIX, but don't let it rule you... we have our own standards lets look after them. :-)

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
Re: SUMMARIZING The OpenAmiga Standard
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2003, 12:44:58 PM »

mdma wrote:

greenboy wrote:
mdma, I like the tick as well - it allows the project to have some breathing space from corporate logo overkill. Just promise me that all the supporters of the 'movement' will never make avatars based on whatever you use ; }

While I'm on the subject: actually I feel the Amizilla mascot is kinda messed up for a couple different reasons. But the primary one is that it is supposed to represent an initiative with three main target platforms (all with their own respective signia). And yet there it is: a Boing Ball. Sheesh. But put butterfly wings on lizard girl and some cat fur and whiskers and you have a case of classic confused hormones/genomes adolescent roadkill! So that's no solution either...

Amizillla would be better served by getting a logo and or mascot that carries its OWN non-dependent IDENTITY that would also send the intended message of semi-non-partisanship ; }

IMHO opinion Amizilla should be Mozilla, and the Amiga specific code included in the main Mozilla tree in the same way the linux and Windows code sit side by side.  It should be promoted as being exactly the same as the other versions, it would be better marketing i think.

Of course it should, but without a common amiga platform spec they can't do it... oh wait... there is one :-D

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2003, 05:37:26 PM »
Unless the people writing the OS's get involved with this your efforts will be limited to AROS.

Well, the choice of the current APIs was decided by the fact that all the AmigaOSoids support them now. So version 1 of the open specification is already in place.  :-)

Now I would hope that we could bring the MOS team and Hyperion in on this so that the next version can be worked out together... if not then the Openamiga team will just have to release their own free implementation of the next revison for AOS4 and MOS (probably based on AROS sources).

It's perfectly doable  :-P

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2003, 07:29:42 PM »
I would note that Raquel and Bill have been mystifyingly quite on this subject...

Come on Bill!!! You must be interested?
 :-D