Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The OpenAmiga Standard  (Read 13775 times)

Description:

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
Re: The OpenAmiga Standard
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2003, 05:50:55 PM »
@DethKnight

I use the Gimp all of the time.  Did a lot of the original pegasos-usa.com and genesi-support.com graphics in it (before Andre' stepped in, as he's the pro gfx artist).
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2003, 06:07:06 PM »
Speaking of 'like the BSDs,' I'd have to argue that, from an outside perspective, AROS appears hobbled by adherence to its own design principles.  That is- a lot of good thought has been put into the organization of the system as a whole, but since commits are held to that standard, Good Thought has to be put in.  Meanwhile, the tree was held private for a long time, and in general, the whole process of involvement has been somewhat obfuscated by the desire to keep the project 'steered' and manageable.

The problem is, there's no easy starting point to bring code into the Amiga fold.

Now, I'm just blathering at random, but does an AROS Research OS seem too farfetched?  That is, an experimental NetBSD to AROS's "Production System,*" held to the barest minimum technical requirements - commits will be accepted so long as they pass Tinderbox?  With an accompanying cvsweb and other 'convenience features' for public involvement, it seems it could make a good 'playground' for projects and ideas that could then roll back to AROS ("Keepers of the API") or other systems at the discretion of those projects' maintainers?

I'm not sure what such a build would look like; it'd probably be a munge, maybe with a lot of BSD warts (the AROS license is a bit complex to wrap one's head around, but I don't *think* there's a conflict there) ... but if it grew enough warts to make it easier for external projects to build, those builds could then be that much closer to running on 'pure' AROS, OS4 or MOS...

Perhaps there'd need to be a little more restriction to ensure things diverge beneficially- maybe the distribution should stay synched with AROS exec and/or certain base libraries(?), to ensure the free-for-alled development would maintain the 'genetic' relationship to bring the above to pass... but I'm just sketching here, not in any way trying to make a full proposal.  (I'll readily admit I've never had the time and resources to play with AROS, let alone flip through the source!)

A lot has happened since the project was founded... This certainly wouldn't be a magic bullet, especially after all this time, but I don't think it's deniable that more work would've happened if a miracle happened, things went GPL, and the Slashdot crowd had somehow been made to be interested.  That such work wouldn't have upheld the goals of the project as well is also obvious- so the question is, "Why not have two projects?"  (I know the answer is, of course, "Fine, host it," and I'm certainly not equipped for that... but maybe someone else is?)

---
*Or in this case, "Reference Implementation," given the focus on architectural purity.

Offline filson

• Show only replies by filson
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2003, 06:16:22 PM »
I uploaded the new looks to the http://openamiga.tk
Give me some feedback if you like.

the issues with mozilla seems to be with the .tk domain.
don't exactly know why but maybe someone knows. i'll post when it's fixed.
My name is Filson. I solve problems.

« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2003, 06:21:12 PM »

filson wrote:
I uploaded the new looks to the http://openamiga.tk
Give me some feedback if you like.

the issues with mozilla seems to be with the .tk domain.
don't exactly know why but maybe someone knows. i'll post when it's fixed.

It works fine on Mozilla 1.3 under linux for me.

We now have a new host for the website, as someone has donated space and bandwidth to us.  I can't reveal who at the moment.

Very nice design filson. Well done!

Check your PM's btw for the new hosting details.

Offline alx

« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2003, 06:24:27 PM »
I cannot seem to get to the page on Firebird or IE - do you know what the actual address is?

This is the Server Administratorâ„¢ default page.

If you see this page it means:

1) hosting for this domain is not configured
or
2) there's no such domain registered in Plesk.

For more information please contact webmaster@1t3.com

BTW I'll give you the faded logo ASAP.

Offline filson

• Show only replies by filson
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2003, 06:26:03 PM »
it's now been submitted to www.amiga.dk aswell.
hopefully it won't trash your mailbox, mdma  :-D
My name is Filson. I solve problems.

Offline restore2003

• Show only replies by restore2003
    • http://www.contrazt.no/records.html
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2003, 06:26:53 PM »
The webpage dont work for me  :-?
Maybe it`s not supposed to work with WinXP and  IE6  :-D

------------------------------------------------------------------

or

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
this is the message i get.
If you need music for games, demos or are in a need of a studio mastering engineer, just contact me :-)
Check out my project homepages: www.galaxee.no   www.restore.no

Offline mrsad

• Show only replies by mrsad
    • http://members.chello.be/ws36055/
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2003, 06:31:47 PM »
The OpenAmiga platform is a great idea, but it probably will not work. Simply because we are not using an 'open' OS in the same way as the BSD or Linux people are.

The difference is that we have a company/companies behind the Amiga (which has advantages of its own) and basiclyit is the company who decided where the Amiga will go next.

BSD and Linux does not have this, because those OS's are a community effort, and the community itself decides which is the best route. Like Linus has said multiple times - if two ideas do the same thing, i let them both live and let the community decide which one will be adopted.

Perhaps somebody will come up with 'binary compatibility layers' which allows you to run applications from MOS on AOS etc. that looks like a more 'realistic' idea.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken.

« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2003, 06:36:28 PM »

restore2003 wrote:
The webpage dont work for me  :-?
Maybe it`s not supposed to work with WinXP and  IE6  :-D

------------------------------------------------------------------

or

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
this is the message i get.

Thats coz i've just moved the openamiga.tk to the new host.

try http://www.geocities.com/openamiga

until filson moves the pages to the new server.

« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2003, 06:38:02 PM »

mrsad wrote:
The OpenAmiga platform is a great idea, but it probably will not work.

POSIX anyone?

Offline bloodlineTopic starter

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2003, 06:41:38 PM »

mrsad wrote:
The OpenAmiga platform is a great idea, but it probably will not work. Simply because we are not using an 'open' OS in the same way as the BSD or Linux people are.

AROS anyone? :-)

-Edit- Your comments are valid, but only if there was no open source alternative! But there is (AROS), and one would hope that Competition with a Free alternative will make Amiga Inc. and the MOS team put in more work and try to make better systems.

Offline Crumpster

• Show only replies by Crumpster
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2003, 07:05:31 PM »
Great thinking everyone.

It makes a refreshing change to see us pulling in the same direction for a change!!

Hell, it's great to see a thread going over 60 posts without a flame in sight!!  :-D

This is a really good idea, nice one guys.

Graham C
A1-XE - G4 800MHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, Radeon 9250, OS 4.1
A1200T - PPC603 240MHz / 68040 50MHz, 128MB RAM, Mediator, OS 3.9 / 4.1
A1200 (No. 2) - M-TEC 68030 50MHz, 4GB CF, KS 3.0, OS 3.0
A500 - ACA500 with ACA1232.
CDTV - in Progress: SCSI, 9 pin joy/mouse connectors, KS switcher.

Non-CBM - Atari STe, Atari Falcon, Apple ][e, ZX Spectrum, CPC6128.
Gone but not forgotten (and slowly getting them back): CPC464, C64, Vic-20.

I may have a problem

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2003, 07:08:48 PM »

Crumpster wrote:
Great thinking everyone.

It makes a refreshing change to see us pulling in the same direction for a change!!

Hell, it's great to see a thread going over 60 posts without a flame in sight!!  :-D

Graham C

Well, it's about time!!!  :-D

I hope this will allow the Community to tell the companies in power what they really want.

We all want a standard, we know that we need a standard, developers want standards, users need stardards...

I'm really pleased, I'm sure it can work.  :-o

Offline Dagon

• Show only replies by Dagon
    • http://www.amigasympan.gr/depa
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2003, 07:16:03 PM »
We all want a standard, we know that we need a standard, developers want standards, users need stardards...

= More apps for everyone :-) You will not have to make specific versions (only when it is very necessary) for each OS.

AmigaOS 4.x, MorphOS and Aros will be mutually benefited. For example a game that makes i.e. Epic will run or will be very easily ported in all of them. ;-)
\\"So we must exercise ourselves in the things which bring happiness, since, if that be present, we have everything, and, if that be absent, all our actions are directed towards attaining it\\" - Epicurus

« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2003, 07:16:33 PM »

bloodline wrote:

Crumpster wrote:
Great thinking everyone.

Graham C

Well, it's about time!!!  :-D

I hope this will allow the Community to tell the companies in power what they really want.

I'm really pleased, I'm sure it can work.  :-o

If we all get behind it, then there will be no stopping it.  Momentum is picking up.  We've had nearly 200 hits to the website since 2 o'clock BST

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #74 from previous page: June 11, 2003, 07:27:54 PM »

Dagon wrote:

= More apps for everyone :-) You will not have to make specific versions (only when it is very necessary) for each OS.

AmigaOS 4.x, MorphOS and Aros will be mutually benefited. For example a game that makes i.e. Epic will run or will be very easily ported in all of them. ;-)

That's the key, easy portability. If all a developer has to do is change the compiler includes directory or the CPU type and then just recompile his app/game. No modifications to his source needed, then he is more inclined to port it!  :-)