Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 4.x to support about 180 Graphics card chips  (Read 9643 times)

Description:

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
Re: AmigaOS 4.x to support about 180 Graphics card chips
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2003, 12:43:46 AM »
@mountain_myst
Go play with your butterfly or something.

well its good to have a hobby....and when is someone going to ask me about my avatar anyway?  sigh...I call it:  how to throw a bird into the mouth of a bear.....

no butterfly on it yet, but it would look cool with a butterfly.... :-)

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2003, 12:45:08 AM »
 :-P

expecially a checkered one.

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2003, 12:49:02 AM »
Please check your facts first there Mountain_Myst.  Ben Hermans disagrees with your statement there, in his comments on ann.lu.  The drivers being ported are 2D only, with 3D to be added later.  This will add years to the design work.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2003, 12:50:25 AM »
Well, Golly Downix...

I'm sure glad we have you here to tell us timelines.

Don't know what we'd do without you.

Offline Bodie

• Show only replies by Bodie
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2003, 12:54:26 AM »

downix wrote:
 This will add years to the design work.

Years? You may be strecthing things here a tad. Yes you are right that the 3d drivers won't be included immediately but to claim it will take years was unfair.

Offline Troels_E

• Show only replies by Troels_E
    • http://www.amigabounty.net
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2003, 12:58:18 AM »
@ DOWNIX

"Please check your facts first there Mountain_Myst. Ben Hermans disagrees with your statement there, in his comments on ann.lu. The drivers being ported are 2D only, with 3D to be added later. This will add years to the design work."

The mentioned drivers are "only" 2D like you say. Some are even for years old cards just like some morefuss drivers are.

What matters here is the newer ones and the future ones but I guess you never thought of that?

Oh, and 3D drivers will come for the newer ones that has documentation available (nothing new there).

(EDIT)
"This will add years to the design work":
Well  some would actually call that FUD or mudslinging from the competition, but I guess you know facts or...?
The bounty site for AmigaOS4 www.amigabounty.net

Offline Kay

• Show only replies by Kay
    • http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~kayare
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2003, 01:04:35 AM »
@Downix:

Oh, and here's the guy who was complaining about "thread after thread of MOS bashing". Anyway, do some research before slagging off the competition. Here's another list of supported chipsets, which seems to be more up to date. You'd have to be either very retarded or very delusional not to find QUITE A FEW chipsets which beats OCS by QUITE A GOOD MARGIN on it.

With this and Warp3D Nova in the works, I think it is fair to say that OS4 is looking to be vastly superior in the graphics department (unless Genesi can come up with something to match it).

Kay

Offline KingTutt

• Show only replies by KingTutt
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2003, 01:41:03 AM »
Holy crap I just popped a woody.

Thanks for the heads up on the supported video cards Kay! You da man!

For all those naysayers, bah! Nothing is good enough for you guys anyway, so why even post anymore. Let us other amigans that have some hope left in this project have our day. This is fantastic news. Having SciTech onboard, is exactly what the doctor ordered, hehe. It will cut out months and months of driver support dev and make gfx integration seemless for the future. Not to mention all the extra legwork that SciTech will be doing on amiga's behalf for support in the next gen cards as they hit the market.

Here's hoping for a brighter Amiga future! Finally my Voodoo 5 5500 may see the light of day again on an A1!!!! yeay!
If I said I was the best you would think I am boasting. But if I said I was not, then you KNOW I am lying! ~Bruce Lee.

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show only replies by Herewegoagain
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2003, 02:18:46 AM »
HAHAHA!!!!   I just looked at the list again....Radeon 9700 Pro!  WOOOOOHOOOOO!

I'd say that's a tad better than OCS....
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2003, 02:49:06 AM »
kinda funny to read this, its good news and its not mos news, but it doesnt really give me many answers.

anyway how many chips do we actually need to have supported to make a viable os? 3? ATI,MATROX and Nvidia? , or do we actually need 180? ... sure its good to have it all in the nova but i think i know what hyperion is doing here and that is saying "in the later updates new added chips will be supported" , ie not all at one go...

maybe i didnt understand it all....

anyway good news and most of all i know they can handle this and eventually i guess we will also (by using the drivers (SNAP) ).

but i am really unsure if i should book a tickect to cebit .....still... , why didnt they share any of that info? ...hmmm i hope they will....if the only thing is to show the hw and module based os up and running.

anyway i am sooooooooooooooooooooo looking forward to OS4 :)
Whats up with all the hate!

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show only replies by Herewegoagain
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2003, 03:00:57 AM »
Well, I think it is key that so many different graphic chips can be used to run the A1 in standard desktop mode.  What is not clear is which ones will be supported under Nova, but I'd place my bets on the big 3:  ATI, nVidia, and Matrox.  

Of course, the older 3D chips that are already supported will remain, but it's doubtful they will concentrate on 3D for most of these old chips, as most wouldn't be worth it.  The thing about Nova is it will be more like DX9 in it's support for pixel and vertex shaders and all of those modern functions within the newer chipsets.  Those older 3D chips wouldn't be able to use that anyway, although they could still be used in a limited way.
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline ksk

• Show only replies by ksk
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2003, 06:53:07 AM »
G4 toasting the P4 :-o  ... 180 GFX chip drivers for AOS4 :-o  :-o  ...

When things sound too good to be true, they usually are. (just to calm things down a little bit) :-|

Offline zacman

• Show only replies by zacman
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2003, 07:57:17 AM »
>HAHAHA!!!! I just looked at the list again....Radeon
>9700 Pro! WOOOOOHOOOOO!

Well the probably biggest problem however is that
most of the gfx card drivers of SNAP for advanced
cards are probably based on object files
provided by the card manufactures and these are
only available for x86 and not ppc.

Offline Panthro

• Show only replies by Panthro
    • http://www.hell-fish.tk
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2003, 08:48:18 AM »
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D

er WOW :-o ........................... :-)
-Panthro

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2003, 09:40:10 AM »
You read that right, 2D. SNAP's vast majority of support is for 10+ year old VGA, EGA and CGA chip solution! Way to go Hyperion, you just evolved AOS4 to support chipsets that can't even match OCS capabilities!

Have you seen the list of supported chips? Of course there are old chips supported. But is that a bad thing??? And 90% of the old chips supported run rings around OCS, ECS and AGA in 2D mode.

There are support for many modern chips, far more than MorphOS. As for your complaint about 3D support, from what I hear, MorphOS is worse in this regard.

I think people would take you and Phoenix a bit more seriously if you stopped acting like a fanboy all the time...

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #44 from previous page: February 19, 2003, 10:50:20 AM »
Try not to read into everything with such over-riding optimism - just because SciTech have written stuff supporting over 170 graphics cards, it doesn't mean AmigaOS4 will support anywhere near that many.