Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A1200 harddrive  (Read 774 times)

Description:

Offline melottTopic starter

• Show only replies by melott
A1200 harddrive
« on: April 10, 2004, 07:17:15 PM »
I recently got an A1200...
I picked up a used harddrive, (it came out of a laptop)
What prg. do I use to format the IDE drive on an A1200.

Whats the procedure, I've never done IDE on an Amiga
before.
Stealth ONE  8-)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Re: A1200 harddrive
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2004, 07:52:08 PM »
Assuming your IDE drive is connected (and if you aren't using a 64-bit capable filesystem, under 4G), your first port of call is HDToolbox.

On opening HD toolbox you should be presented with a list of the drive device interfaces (unless your HDtoolbox icon has a device = xxx.device tooltype set already.

The IDE drive should show up under scsi.device. If the drive is completely unformatted (as far as amigaos goes, I mean), it will probably tell you the drive needs installing, you should just click on proceed. It will read all the default information it needs from the drive (size, cylinders etc.) itself.

Once the drive is "installed", you can select the scsi.device in HDToolbox and your new IDE drive shows up. Select it and go to "partition drive" to partition it to your liking. It's a good idea to keep your OS partition below the 4G limit, even on 64-bit capable filesystems ;-) Besides, anything over 200Mb is total overkill for OS3.x + utilities :-)

Partitioning is relatively hassle free and you can just drag resize partitions you are making.

Once your drive is partitioned the way you want it, reboot and you can format the newly appeared drives as normal. Better to quick format them than normal format however. Also, if you are using the normal amiga file system (ie not SFS or other third party), definately give "directory cache" a miss for hard drives. It might speed up floppies but is counter productive on hard drives :-)
int p; // A

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004, 07:59:23 PM »
Sounds exactly right to me...  Just a couple things to note:

On opening HD toolbox you should be presented with a list of the drive device interfaces (unless your HDtoolbox icon has a device = xxx.device tooltype set already.

Even though its an AT/IDE drive, the proper name for an A1200 HD on the internal controller is scsi.device.  That can be a bit confusing...

Partitioning is relatively hassle free and you can just drag resize partitions you are making.

Don't forget to go into the advanced options and set the "Max Transfer" sizing for each partition.  It should be set to 0x1ffff.  Otherwise, an old bug will come back and bite you in the butt.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2004, 08:04:57 PM »
The maxtransfer problem! I knew I forgotten something :-D

I think this value relates to the largest chunk of data the drive can be assumed to fetch in one go. I'm not sure any half modern drive has issues anymore but mine is still set to the value llwath mentions :-)
int p; // A

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2004, 11:04:33 PM »
I'm not sure any half modern drive has issues anymore but mine is still set to the value llwath mentions :-)

Exactly.  It doesn't hurt anything to change this setting, and it can save you from severe data corruption, if your drive happens to be one of the ones affected by this problem.  

I was an early A1200 owner, and had a (high-end at that time) Quantum 2.5" drive in it...  It was not a fun combination until my local dealer got a memo from C= on what needed to be set to fix the problem!  (I had tried 2 different A1200s from the store, and two different HDs, and both with and without the GVP accelerator...)  And most every filesystem available at the time...  Lotsa AmigaDOS 3.0 installing experience.  This is one setting that caused me enough pain that I'll never forget it.  ;-)

Offline melottTopic starter

• Show only replies by melott
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2004, 04:45:26 AM »
Hay ;-)... Thanks guys

I got it now, works great.
Stealth ONE  8-)