Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Miami almost working  (Read 1076 times)

Description:

Offline KrisseTopic starter

• Show only replies by Krisse
Miami almost working
« on: March 22, 2016, 07:09:35 PM »
In another thread (link) we solved my nothing_happens -problem, and now that I have a new card and things_started_to_happen, I have a new problem.

As the hardware problem is now behind and this is all about software I thought I'll make a new thread, but if someone thinks this should be continued in the previous thread this can be moved in to it.

I've been following these instructions (install MUI, install prism, install Miami) and I'm almost there but not quite. I manage to do even the miami init, Amiga connects to the internet, get's an IP and everything looks bright almost until the end.

But when I try to start Miami and I should see this, I get can not load your tool miami.

Once again something I can't find anything about in the web.

If I SnoopDos it, I get

CD SYSTEM:System/Miami (that's where it is and where MIAMI: is assigned to)
Load Miami FAIL
CD Ram Disk:
Load Miami FAIL

and the CD's keep going on, looks like it tries all directories I have 'pathed' and then I get the error. If I try to run it from dos, it gives up after first failed load and tells me that miami is not an executable (the attributes are ok).

So, almost there but why just almost?

Offline Sir_Lucas

• Show only replies by Sir_Lucas
Re: Miami almost working
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 10:58:58 PM »
You need these three files to install Miami 3.2:
http://main.aminet.net/comm/tcp/Miami32b-020.lha
http://main.aminet.net/comm/tcp/Miami32b-GTL.lha
http://main.aminet.net/comm/tcp/Miami32b2-main.lha

Skip MUI for he moment.
Extract these three archives to one drawer and install Miami. Let's see if it helps.
Miami can have three types of GUI.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 04:28:59 AM »
Any particular reason you're using regular Miami and not MiamiDx?

Offline Thomas

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 09:15:03 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;806210
Any particular reason you're using regular Miami and not MiamiDx?

There is no reason for a normal user to use MiamiDx. Miami is less overloaded with advanced features and therefore better for beginners. And for non-english people there are translations into different languages. Such don't exist for MiamiDx.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 05:41:00 PM »
Quote from: Thomas;806218
There is no reason for a normal user to use MiamiDx. Miami is less overloaded with advanced features and therefore better for beginners. And for non-english people there are translations into different languages. Such don't exist for MiamiDx.

I guess I've gotten so used to MiamiDx that regular Miami now seems more complex to me because things I expect to be there aren't. As a native-English speaker, I wasn't aware MiamiDx wasn't localized - that's unfortunate.  Thanks for brining it to my attention. Despite its shortcomings (speed, impossible to register) I find it very elegant and easy to configure.

Offline longice

• Show only replies by longice
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 10:56:35 PM »
Hi! I am using MiamiDX and trying to get my Amiga1200 on internet. I think almost everything is working. I have set the hardware, and the interface. The interface is going online, but I can not find where to set he DNS. So I think this is the last step.
Can anyone please help me, please:)

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 12:44:59 AM »
Use the wizard " Miami init" it's very easy and reliable
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline Thomas

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 09:00:51 AM »
Quote from: longice;818048
The interface is going online, but I can not find where to set he DNS.

Check Database -> DNS Servers.

Offline longice

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 08:22:04 PM »
Quote from: magnetic;818053
Use the wizard " Miami init" it's very easy and reliable

I have tried, but it comes to the point where I select witch network card to use. Then it gets stuck on "contacting RArp server, please wait.."

Offline longice

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 08:25:58 PM »
Quote from: Thomas;818066
Check Database -> DNS Servers.

Not possible to set the DNS manually in here. I have read the Guide, and it says something that Miami should autodetect DNS servers. But no servers are shown.

Offline Thomas

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 09:38:48 PM »
Quote from: longice;818104
Not possible to set the DNS manually in here.

It is. Try harder ;)

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 09:42:58 PM »
Quote from: longice;818104
Not possible to set the DNS manually in here. I have read the Guide, and it says something that Miami should autodetect DNS servers. But no servers are shown.

Question is... Does the light on the router blink for that output? How about the light on the NIC?

Offline longice

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 09:57:21 PM »
Quote from: QuikSanz;818107
Question is... Does the light on the router blink for that output? How about the light on the NIC?

Yes, both lamps are blinking. Router and NIC. And I also get "online" on the interface when I setup the IP settings manually (static). But it says that DNS is missing/or wrong. I can also ping the Amiga from my PC that is on the same network.

So how is it possible to set the DNS in database/DNS servers? My settings will just not save..

Offline Thomas

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 12:39:43 AM »
Quote from: longice;818108
So how is it possible to set the DNS in database/DNS servers? My settings will just not save..

Click on Add, enter an IP address and press Return or Enter. Then select Settings -> Save from the menu.

I also get "online" on the interface when I setup the IP settings manually (static).

Online means nothing. If all settings are static, nothing needs to be sent/received over the line to get online.

I can also ping the Amiga from my PC that is on the same network.

Ping in one direction is a good sign, but you should also try to ping other computers from the Amiga. The command is Miami:MiamiPing.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 12:44:26 AM by Thomas »