Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Landmark computer games of the 20th and 21st centuries  (Read 4739 times)

Description:

Offline mpdox

• Show all replies
    • http://mpdox.sytes.net
Re: Landmark computer games of the 20th and 21st centuries
« on: June 04, 2003, 10:42:21 PM »
Nobody said anything yet about Dune 2 or Monkey Island? Hmm... I was playing Dune 2 until the next morning, wondering how I would resist during the next (boring) school hours... It started the real-time strategy genre, for sure...
And Monkey Island? I started to learn english with with it, playing a little, pausing, checking the dictionary... Ok, it didn't start anything originally, but during the time it was played, it was the greatest adventure game, something everything else was compared to...
Maybe I'm subjective, in fact, for sure I am, but for me, these games are important landmarks...
Now I'm so nostalgic, I'm pressing the submit button and getting the emulator back ASAP...
See you next morning :-)
\\"I can answer the question, but am I bright enough to ask it?\\"

Offline mpdox

• Show all replies
    • http://mpdox.sytes.net
Re: Landmark computer games of the 20th and 21st centuries
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2003, 10:59:37 PM »

KennyR wrote:
Monkey Island was a good game, but it did not define the point-and-click adventure. I've no idea what did, but perhaps earlier games like Maniac Mansion. Remember, a landmark game doesn't need to be a good game, and not all great games are landmarks.

As for Dune2 - I'm unsure. Was it really the first RTS?

Well, for sure Monkey Island wasn't inventing anything new, that's why I said in my post that it was for *ME* an important landmark...
About Dune 2, yes, it was the first in its genre... Just think about how many games, clones (warcraft comes to mind first), were influenced by it...
If I have to think as an impartial man, I have to say, it looks like Doom also deserves the crown.
About adventure games? Who knows, maybe Zork?
Maybe I can't see the whole picture because I got my first computer in 88, and didn't get to play Pacman, Space Invaders or Pong when they came  out?
\\"I can answer the question, but am I bright enough to ask it?\\"