Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: UltimatePPC rumor  (Read 8677 times)

Description:

Offline spudje

Re: UltimatePPC rumor
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 25, 2015, 08:58:36 PM »
So I guess that's what it is indeed, the contents of the OP, a rumor!!!

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2015, 09:08:33 PM »
Quote from: spudje;791609
So I guess that's what it is indeed, the contents of the OP, a rumor!!!

Ah, more Amiga vaporware.
How shocking! :hammer:
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2015, 09:13:12 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;791610
Ah, more Amiga vaporware.
How shocking! :hammer:

They won't call it vaporware - they'll say they were only developing it for personal use and since a couple of boards were made then you can't call it vaporware ;)

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2015, 09:55:03 PM »
I'm not really surprised, almost every PPC hardware project ever announced has ended in failure.

AmiJOE
 PicassoIV - PowerPPC module
 ACK Controls - PPC accelerators
 Elbox - SharkPPC
 Troika, etc etc .....

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2015, 11:13:36 PM »
ppc hardware doesnt make any sense when there is nothing to run on it. i wouldnt blame the people behind the project. whoever thought too much into it or advertised is on his own.

Offline KimmoK

• Show only replies by KimmoK
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2015, 07:42:09 AM »
@"almost every PPC hardware project ... has ended in failure"

Let's just say "many Amiga related PPC HW projects ended badly", because there are many succesfull projects as well.

And at the same time one should remember that guys like Edison failed some 11 000 times with his lamp experiments before he succeeded.

(+The faster you fail, the faster it is possible to find the working solution.)

@"ppc hardware doesnt make any sense when there is nothing to run on it"

With original design they could only have run some linux/embedded/RT OS.
+ If they were considering it to function as 68k emulated CPU, then it would have run 68k SW.

If they have changed the SoC, then it might be possible to run a lot of SW with it.

Info refresh:
Official from January: "We have restarted our efforts to get a working demo ready before the Amiga30 event in the Netherlands this summer!"
About the CPU from y2012: "We knew that the FPU in this processor is incompatible with the ones found on older PowerPC boards. Our original plan to fix these incompatibilities in software turns out to have more impact that we had foreseen. For this reason, we will reconsider the choice of PowerPC CPU, while continuing the development work of other important stuff on the current prototype."
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 07:49:41 AM by KimmoK »
- KimmoK
// Windows will never catch us now.
// The multicolor AmigaFUTURE IS NOW !! :crazy:

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2015, 07:47:01 AM »
Well that was a shame, I was really looking forward to seeing something tangible.

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2015, 03:25:29 PM »
Hold on a second, who said they gave up ? Just because they missed their self imposed deadline doesn't mean it's completely abandoned.
Of course, given the success rate of PPC Amiga projects it wouldn't be a surprise, but after all this work, if they were really working on it (some past projects were actually total vaporware) there's a chance they'll continue working on it, albeit slowly.
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline Iggy

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2015, 05:04:28 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;791611
They won't call it vaporware - they'll say they were only developing it for personal use and since a couple of boards were made then you can't call it vaporware ;)

Prove "a couple of boards were made", and THEN it isn't BS.
And they didn't claim initially that they were developing it only for their personal use.
In fact, that would be rather pointless as the only soiftware that could easily be ported to it is either OS4 or MorphOS, neither of which is open source, so you would HAVE to make the boards available.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2015, 06:54:44 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;791665
Prove "a couple of boards were made", and THEN it isn't BS.

There's photos of completed boards on their website.  Photoshop, some might claim, I suppose, but why go to all the trouble of assemble boards and then... what?  Not write the software to run them?  Is that what the holdup was?  Of course there's that whole issue of them having chosen a processor that's not compatible with any of the existing PPC software, which just made their job about a million times harder... *sigh*  I just don't understand people sometimes. :(
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 07:05:03 PM by Oldsmobile_Mike »
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Iggy

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2015, 07:28:07 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;791675
There's photos of completed boards on their website.  Photoshop, some might claim, I suppose, but why go to all the trouble of assemble boards and then... what?  Not write the software to run them?  Is that what the holdup was?  Of course there's that whole issue of them having chosen a processor that's not compatible with any of the existing PPC software, which just made their job about a million times harder... *sigh*  I just don't understand people sometimes. :(

Well, I've been watching PPC processors for some time, and the processors that are compatible with the old boards are slowly being eol'd.
Add that to the fact that their is no documentation as to how most were built, well...
So, as I've said before, that leaves OS4 and MorphOS.
The former seems possible since the developers have been willing to support legacy hardware, but the latter is not that likely as many of the MorphOS developers don't even have Amiga hardware anymore.

And legacy PPC apps, are they really that important?
There aren't that many of them, and most can be run by an NG OS.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2015, 07:35:59 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;791678
And legacy PPC apps, are they really that important?
There aren't that many of them, and most can be run by an NG OS.

I would pay good money for a PPC board that allows my A2000 to run OS4.1.

Yeah, I won't hold my breath.  :lol:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2015, 10:24:58 PM »
@Oldsmobile_Mike

Well, a CS Mk2 with a PPC dev board attached would probably do it, but it's not very powerfull and it's utterly rare.
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2015, 10:46:13 PM »
A good solid 68060 board or 68040 board at the fastest clockspeed with onboard RTG, USB, sound and SATA.  Heck, even a decent 68030.  It must not be easy, or Jens would have made one by now dontcha think? :)

Offline Iggy

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2015, 11:41:30 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;791680
I would pay good money for a PPC board that allows my A2000 to run OS4.1.

Yeah, I won't hold my breath.  :lol:

As an A2000 owner, I would not mind that myself, but then we'd also need a really good RTG card, as we don't have AGA graphics.

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2015, 01:00:11 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;791693
As an A2000 owner, I would not mind that myself, but then we'd also need a really good RTG card, as we don't have AGA graphics.

Just put a PCI slot extension on the CPU card. Nice to dream......