Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Floppy Emulator OR WHDLoad for Games on A1200  (Read 2740 times)

Description:

Offline slimfTopic starter

• Show all replies
Floppy Emulator OR WHDLoad for Games on A1200
« on: January 22, 2016, 08:37:45 AM »
Hi

Ive been out of the scene for oh about 25 years.. :-)

But always kept coming back here for gossip and have been following FPGA Arcade for a few years.

I have HEAPS of original Amiga's which I purchased last year and am slowly selling, however I plan on keeping one.

It will be an A1200 with 030 accelerator with some extra ram. I have a brand new keyboard (amikit) and have installed a CF hard drive.

I also backed the new case thing on KickStarter, so the Amiga will soon have a brand new case. The current one is quite good but does have a few broken clips.

I also have 3.1 roms.

Anyway, my question is this..

I want to setup the amiga in the house to play the odd retro game with my kids.. Think Lemmings etc.

Im trying to decide if I should go for emulated floppy via Gotek / the HxC OR if I should be getting WHDLoad.

I never used WHDLoad before, but it does sound like a good idea.

I could obviously go for both, to have the best flexability, but can anyone tell me just how good/ easy/ fast WHDLoad makes things?

Money is no option, as I already have the gear and wouldnt mind paying for WHDLoad if its worth it over using emulated floppy.

P.S I would rather play 100% originals rather than cracked versions - Not that it probably matters.

• Show all replies
Re: Floppy Emulator OR WHDLoad for Games on A1200
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 09:02:04 AM »
Thanks!

Is there any games that don't work with WHDLoad?

Edit : don't worry, found the WHDLoad website :-)

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 09:35:23 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.

I already have a gotek and will probably put a HxC in the new case when it arrives.. I will certainly try out WHDLoad.. Looks like it will do what I want.

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 09:59:36 PM »
Ok first step is to get work bench 3.1 installed. I purchased 3.1 Roms and a new set of WB disks from ami kit a while back. Unfortunately the second disk always gives an error during the install.

Is it possible to get them in adf- legally so I can use the gotek to get bloody work bench installed :-)

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 07:39:40 AM »
Quote from: kolla;802865
Just buy AmigaForever from Cloanto, there is a download option available cheaply, it comes with all CBM classic Amiga OS releases, ADFs and kickstart images.

http://www.amigaforever.com

Tried it.. For games it's a non starter for me. They just don't look or feel the same. I think most of that is the LCD screens. CRT seems to be the go.

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 09:32:44 AM »
Oh! Well I did buy it many years ago.. No idea where it is thou. Will see if I can dig it up. Good advice, thanks!