Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: StarTrek Discovery season 2 finale  (Read 10700 times)

Description:

Offline cgutjahr

• Show all replies
Re: StarTrek Discovery season 2 finale
« on: April 26, 2019, 02:23:45 PM »
I dont get why every TV show these days has to have a controversial same sex relationship.
You thinking it's 'controversial' is proof that we still don't have enough TV shows featuring gay couples.

Why is it there? Because gay people are part of your potential target audience. Throw them a bone, and they might become interested in your product. In 2019, this approach works - because the amount of (gay or gay friendly) people you might win as followers massively outnumbers the amount of homophobes you might loose.

And the vast majority of us doesn't care at all, it's just another couple. I'm pissed they killed and resurrected the doctor., that plotline is always a stupid idea IMHO. His sex life doesn't bother me at all.

Offline cgutjahr

• Show all replies
Re: StarTrek Discovery season 2 finale
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 02:39:25 PM »
As for the show: it's flashy, the sets look really nice (the Enterprise bridge was awesome, especially compared to the Apple store version from the J.J.Abrams films) and they have some really decent actors. But it's just a generic action packed SciFi adventure, not Star Trek.

Star Trek doesn't usually do the "evil villain" plotlines in the TV shows, that's only used in the movies - because it's what you do in a movie. That battle in the season finale was ripped right out of Battlestar Galactica or Star Wars, Federation starships don't deploy an army of small fighter planes. That stupid race through the asteroid field in the season opener was all eyecandy without substance as well. Some of the plotlines are beyond stupid: Burnham and Georgiou letting themselves be captured in the S1 finale so they can overpower 50 or so armed enemies after being led to the bridge (Georgiou to Burnham: "Good plan!")? Ouch. And you should never look at the plot too closely, that's going to give you a headache. Thank god it's so flashy, so you're too busy to notice.

I'll still watch it, but I'm not convinced yet.