Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Desert Island Discs  (Read 1143 times)

Description:

Offline motorollinTopic starter

• Show only replies by motorollin
Desert Island Discs
« on: December 13, 2008, 10:59:27 AM »
The "Blur" thread has inspired me to think about music which is important to me, and I'd like to share them and also encourage others to do the same. So here are my desert island discs.

Blur - Modern Life Is Rubbish
I grew up listening to Blur and I really admire them. Listening to their music immediately takes me back to my teenage years, and I'm really grateful to Blur for being such an important part of my life. I used to listen to Blur a lot with my then best friend. His family emigrated when I was 14 and he was 13, and that was the worst time of my life. Listening to this album always reminds me of how painful that time was, but also of the good times we shared.

Radiohead - Kid A
This was the first album I listened to which made me realise that electronic music can be "real" music. This album has been quite influential in my own music, and is another one to which I have a strong emotional connection. The first four notes of Everything In Its Right Place do something to me both emotionally and physically ;-) I consider this album a real turning point not only for Radiohead, but also in my own musical taste and style.

Thom Yorke - The Eraser
Lots of people seem to hate this album but I love it. Again, it has been influential in my own music, and I really aspire to be as good as Thom. His music evokes such a range of emotion, his voice conveys his feelings beautifully, and his words make me think in ways I wouldn't otherwise. Put simply, he is a genius.

The Vines - Highly Evolved
It was hard for me to decide between Highly Evolved and Winning Days, but 1969, the last track on Highly Evolved, tipped the balance for me. Psychedelic rock which makes you feel like you're in a Snickers advert while you're walking around town...

Holy F**k - LP
Bloodline will go with me on this one... Hard to describe really. Messy, incompetent, unplanned electro. But somehow it works, and they're brilliant!

Aerosmith - Nine Lives
Ok they're old men of rock, and Aerosmith are quite uncool now. But I grew up listening to this album and again it brings back a lot of memories from my childhood.

The Prodigy - The Fat Of The Land
'Nuff said ;-)

Radiohead - In Rainbows
Not sure whether you're allowed to have more than one album by the same artist, but I don't care ;-) I absolutely love this album and couldn't live without it.
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
Re: Desert Island Discs
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 04:08:26 PM »
Desert Island Discs are supposed to be 5 tracks not 8 whole Albums!

To make it even more authentic, you also have to pick your favourite out of the 5 and also name a book you'd take (can't choose a religious text or the complete works of Shakespeare)

Can you narrow it down to just the 5 songs?  It's actually painfully hard to do.  If you can manage it, I'll post my 5 (already got them in an iTunes playlist)

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 09:49:28 PM »
Hmm, well I have never actually listened to Desert Island Discs on Radio 4, but the article I read to check the rules stated "Guests are invited to imagine themselves castaways on a desert island, and to choose eight pieces of music to take with them". For some reason I interpreted that as albums... But I'll try to narrow it down to 8 tracks:

Blur - For Tomorrow
Radiohead - Everything In Its Right Place
Thom Yorke - Skip Divided
Aerosmith - Fallen Angels
Radiohead - All I Need
The Vines - 1969
Holy F**k - Milkshake
The Prodigy - Climbatize

The top five if I must reduce it further would be the top five from that list. The top one would have to be For Tomorrow. Everything In Its Right Place is very close, but For Tomorrow wins it because of the memories it brings back.
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline uncharted

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 11:38:50 PM »
You are indeed right, it is 8 and not 5.  I don't know where I got 5 from.  I'm going to have to think of 3 more :-)

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 02:44:07 PM »
I need to revise my list! I forgot about my secret shame; I love the album Wonderland by McFly :lol: I know they're girly pop, and I hate everything else they have done, but I genuinely think the songs on Wonderland are well written and some of the arrangements are lovely.

Flame me!!!!! :lol:
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline uncharted

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 04:47:42 PM »
"Unfinished Sympathy" - Massive Attack (The Blue Lines, 1991)
Simply the most beautiful song I've ever heard.  I'd heard it before a couple of times, but it wasn't until I'd heard it on an advert in 1999 that I actively sought it out.  It's such an amazingly emotional and powerful track.  It doesn't have many words, but those it does have are so heart-wrenching.  Shara Nelson's (sp?) voice is just so beautiful.  I know that some people dismiss it because of the Hip-hop style beat and the sampling, but those strings still send shivers up my spine.

"No Good (Start the Dance) [Edit]" - The Prodigy (Single, 1994)
This track changed my life.  At first I hated the song and only listened to it because it was in between two songs I liked on a friend's compilation tape.  One day it just clicked and from that point on I was in love with electronic music.  I begged my parents for a Stereo for Xmas just so that I could listen to this song.  I prefer the edit over the album version because it's got a bit more energy and less farting about with intros.

"Gold Dust Woman" By Fleetwood Mac (Rumours, 1977)
I kind of rediscovered this a couple of years back.  It's the odd-ball drumming and the interesting sound engineering that makes it a favourite.  Even Stevie Nicks, who's voice generally gets right on my tits, sounds brilliant.

"3 Kilos" - The Prodigy (Music for the Jilted Generation, 1994)
Strangely, I never got hold of Jilted Generation (Which is my favourite album BTW) until after Fat of the Land came out.  Much like "Climatize" on FoTL, this one is a bit of a cinematic soundscape rather than a balls-to-the-wall dance track.  This really sparked my interest in down-tempo electronica.  This would often come on my Walkman when I used to walk back home after a party or night out.  Many good memories associated with this track.

"Green Light" - The Breakfastaz (Kick It/Green Light EP, 2004)
I don't remember how I came across this one, but I love its dirty basslines.  The breakdown and build-up in the middle is amazing.  I listened to this a lot during my last year of Uni, and its something I turn to when I'm feeling a bit irritated by stuff going on around me.

"Walking Zero" - The Sneaker Pimps (Becoming X, 1996)
I bought the album this is on at probably the greatest point of my life when I was most contented.  Sadly, a few months later things started to fall apart for me, but this track, despite its dark overtones has happy memories associated with it.  I had got the album for "6 Underground", but this quickly became my favourite track.

"Music Reach 1/2/3/4" - The Prodigy (Experience, 1992)
I was a bit too young for the rave scene, although growing up in Essex, I was certainly aware of it.  I discovered the wonderful music behind it through my love of the Prodigy and through the Experience album.  As much as I love the classics like "Jericho", "Fire" and "Out of Space", this is my favourite track on the album.  Just full of energy, just pure, don't give a {bleep} enjoyment.

"Sweet Harmony" - Liquid (Single, 1992)
Once I had acquired a taste for the long dead rave scene I started buying up as many "Old Skool" compilation albums as I could slowly building up a collection of gems out of the vast amounts of filler tat.  This is one track that kept cropping up, and for good reason, it's a great back-to-basics track.  This is another song I used to listen to while walking to and from nights out (I lived in a village a couple of miles away from most of my friends - and the train station).

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 04:50:25 PM »

motorollin wrote:
I need to revise my list! I forgot about my secret shame; I love the album Wonderland by McFly :lol: I know they're girly pop, and I hate everything else they have done, but I genuinely think the songs on Wonderland are well written and some of the arrangements are lovely.

And while you're at it, add Aerosmith to that.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline Turambar

• Show only replies by Turambar
    • http://gentleman-bastards.com/
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 06:19:26 AM »

Speelgoedmannetje wrote:

motorollin wrote:

And while you're at it, add Aerosmith to that.

Aerosmiths first two albums were brilliant. Proper 70's hard rock. Then it all went downhill.

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 08:09:35 AM »
@Andy
I have heard of some of those tracks, but will have a listen to the rest when I get a chance. Thanks for posting your list :-D

I was in a rush earlier and posting on my iPhone so I didn't explain my eight choices of individual songs. Here goes:

Blur - For Tomorrow (Modern Life Is Rubbish)
(Copied and pasted from above...) I grew up listening to Blur and I really admire them. Listening to their music immediately takes me back to my teenage years, and I'm really grateful to Blur for being such an important part of my life. I used to listen to Blur a lot with my then best friend. His family emigrated when I was 14 and he was 13, and that was the worst time of my life. Listening to this song always reminds me of how painful that time was, but also of the good times we shared.

Radiohead - Everything In Its Right Place (Kid A)
I got Kid A for Christmas the year it was released having never heard any of the songs on it. I asked for it because I liked The Bends and OK Computer. I was shocked when I heard Everything In Its Right Place, and absolutely hated the album the first few times I listened to it. The more I listened to it, the more I realised that this electronic stuff really *was* music ;-) I grew to love the album more and more, but this track in particular. As soon as I hear the first four notes of this song I have an immediate feeling that no matter what's happening, everything will be ok. This song is like a little safety bubble.

Thom Yorke - Skip Divided (The Eraser)
The Eraser is another album which I didn't like the first time I heard it, but Thom's vocals and the beautiful arrangements won me over. The sounds and arrangement in this track are particularly interesting to me, and are a style I really aspire to.

Radiohead - All I Need (In Rainbows)
Although I prefer the electronic arrangement of songs like 15 Step on this album, the vocal style of All I Need coupled with the touching words make this one a favourite for me. Thom's heartfelt emotion is clear in this song, and it gets me every time.

The Vines - 1969 (Highly Evolved)
I love Craig Nicholls' voice, particularly on this track. It's a great song to listen to while riding a bike or driving, as is the rest of the album.

Holy F**k - Milkshake (LP)
When so much music is produced to a very high standard and is polished to within an inch of its life, it's refreshing to hear something which sounds a bit more rough. This track sounds unplanned and a total mess, but I can't help but love it. I don't think I have the discipline to write such an unplanned track as my pesky brain keeps taking over ;-)

The Prodigy - Climbatize (The Fat Of The Land)
I got into The Prodigy quite late as I didn't like electronic music during the rave scene. Consequently I am less in to The Prodigy's hard dance tracks and more in to their soundscape tracks. The atmosphere in this track is just amazing!

McFly - She Falls Asleep (Part 2) (Wonderland)
This is a surprisingly beautiful song from McFly. The lyrics are heartwrenching (I interpret them as the story of a suicide) and the orchestration is lovely. I definitely wouldn't class myself as a fan of McFly (I'm not *that* gay :lol:) but I really do love this song, and I think it shows that McFly actually have a lot more talent than their girly-pop beginnings suggest.
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10