Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: R.I.P. Tommy Vance  (Read 985 times)

Description:

Offline VincentTopic starter

• Show only replies by Vincent
R.I.P. Tommy Vance
« on: March 06, 2005, 02:58:18 PM »
From BBC

Former BBC Radio 1 DJ Tommy Vance has died in hospital three days after suffering a stroke.

Vance, who was 63, died in Kent at 0400 on Sunday, his agent said.

John Peel last year, now Tommy Vance...

:boohoo:  :boohoo:
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

Re: R.I.P. Tommy Vance
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 10:50:56 PM »

Vincent wrote:
From BBC

Former BBC Radio 1 DJ Tommy Vance has died in hospital three days after suffering a stroke.

Vance, who was 63, died in Kent at 0400 on Sunday, his agent said.

John Peel last year, now Tommy Vance...

:boohoo:  :boohoo:

:-o  :-o  :-o  :-o  :-o

RIP Tommy.

Will the next generation feel the same when Sara Feckinng Cox or Chris B@stard Moyles die?

I don't think so.

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 12:06:19 AM »
Will the next generation feel the same when Sara Feckinng Cox or Chris B@stard Moyles die?

I don't think so.

I seriously doubt it.  DJ's are pretty worthless nowadays, there's always someone that can be replaced or can replace someone.
Xbox360

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 12:57:43 AM »

Vincent wrote:

I don't think so.

I seriously doubt it.  DJ's are pretty worthless nowadays, there's always someone that can be replaced or can replace someone.

Todays lot aren't DJ's anyway, they are professional talkers.

IMNSHO a DJ should ONLY talk when he/she is talking about the music they have just played or the music they are about to play, at all other times they should keep their mouths shut.

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 01:09:00 AM »
mdma wrote:

IMNSHO a DJ should ONLY talk when he/she is talking about the music they have just played or the music they are about to play, at all other times they should keep their mouths shut.

:lol:

Too true though...
Xbox360

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 01:26:09 AM »

Vincent wrote:
mdma wrote:

:lol:

Too true though...

Thinking about it, this could have been a subconsious factor in my complete turn to house music in the early 90's. DJ's can't talk when they are concentrating on getting two or more records to play at the same speed and not sound crap! :-D

http://www.oldtapes.com

Offline Wilse

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 05:23:27 PM »
RIP Tommy. Loved his voice overs for 'Dumber and Dumber'.

Thinking about it, this could have been a subconsious factor in my complete turn to house music in the early 90's. DJ's can't talk when they are concentrating on getting two or more records to play at the same speed and not sound crap!

How true. Reminds me of a gig I did once, around '91 I think.
I was DJing at a 'club' in Glasgow and they had 'big name' DJ, Joe Deacon headlining.
(He's mentioned here - http://www.djsource.co.uk/forums/archive/t-36145.html)
Anyway, this guy had a bit of following and the place was packed.
Despite this, he was without doubt the least technically competent DJ I've ever had the misfortune to work with.
He didn't even attempt to mix and would attempt to camouflage this by talking the biggest load of old pish you've ever heard between every single record.
I actually heard him say, over the PA, "Now listen to this. It's not what you think it is. It sounds like Quadrophonia but it isn't!"
WTF?
If he wasn't saying that, it'd be some kiech about "Tracy, who's 21. All yer pals love ye!"
Who fekkin' cares?
And he was on 10x my wages.

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 12:43:03 AM »

Wilse wrote:
RIP Tommy. Loved his voice overs for 'Dumber and Dumber'.

Thinking about it, this could have been a subconsious factor in my complete turn to house music in the early 90's. DJ's can't talk when they are concentrating on getting two or more records to play at the same speed and not sound crap!

How true. Reminds me of a gig I did once, around '91 I think.
I was DJing at a 'club' in Glasgow and they had 'big name' DJ, Joe Deacon headlining.
(He's mentioned here - http://www.djsource.co.uk/forums/archive/t-36145.html)
Anyway, this guy had a bit of following and the place was packed.
Despite this, he was without doubt the least technically competent DJ I've ever had the misfortune to work with.
He didn't even attempt to mix and would attempt to camouflage this by talking the biggest load of old pish you've ever heard between every single record.
I actually heard him say, over the PA, "Now listen to this. It's not what you think it is. It sounds like Quadrophonia but it isn't!"
WTF?
If he wasn't saying that, it'd be some kiech about "Tracy, who's 21. All yer pals love ye!"
Who fekkin' cares?
And he was on 10x my wages.

Reminds me of Sasha being  resident at a bar in Blackburn called Minstrels in the early nineties.  He was {bleep}e, yet look at him now, Mr fecking bigshot DJ!