Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CommodoreUSA CEO Interview Answers  (Read 40865 times)

Description:

Offline Digiman

• Show all replies
Re: CommodoreUSA CEO Interview Answers
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 26, 2012, 07:32:50 AM »
Quote from: dammy;690512
Then the community needs to get a petition together asking C=USA to lower the required number of units.  Five hundred is not that significant number of units, it speaks volumes on the real world potential market strength of the online Amiga community.

It is C=USA's job to design the product outline, if C=USA don't tell us specifics as to their abilities, contractual restrictions of OS and CPU architecture or their total engineering R&D resource then the discussion is closed. I explained the problem in detail already...

"Asking customers to design product scope & specification without an accurate description of technical solutions C=USA has the competency to design and build is NOT a viable business plan. Asking them to pay up front is also lunacy.

It is 100% down to C=USA to define their ability to legally, technically and financially be able to potential deliver the following....

1. C64x style bespoke identical replica Amiga case + keyboard + mouse
2. Ability to license existing/build new PPC motherboards with OS4 compatibility
3. Feasibility of x86 Amithlon+OS3.9 or AROS system being developed.

All I saw was a $500,000 attempted scam."

Offline Digiman

• Show all replies
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2012, 12:49:15 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;690542
It's not a scam, it's a way of ending the discussion.

If I had people constantly asking me to make something that I didn't think I was going to make money at then I'd ask them to put their money where their mouth was.
The money was basically a pre-order, if CUSA failed to ship the product then I'd expect the money to be refunded. Of course you should make sure the contract was drawn up correctly to avoid any future disappointment

There is nothing to stop anyone from producing a PPC motherboard that fits one of CUSA's cases. An overpriced motherboard in an overpriced case is a perfect match.

It was a shil. Like I said they needed to tell us what they can achieve in detail.

Legally possible to pursue Amithlon?
AROS improvements donated by programmers/bounties they finance?
Technical skill to develop G5 based motherboard from scratch?
How much profit/mark up would they sacrifice on cost price of replica A1200 keyboard and case.

REAL businesses also would give all this information and produce a working prototype before asking for a small 20% deposit not 100%.

Offline Digiman

• Show all replies
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2012, 12:53:42 AM »
Quote from: dammy;690551
Then why isn't it being done by yourselves?

1. Because NOBODY, especially C=USA, has asked after doing all the required background investigation required to convince people to part with their money.

2. Most businesses are not stupid enough to require the customers to design a worthwhile product to sell because they are clueless.

Offline Digiman

• Show all replies
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2012, 12:56:58 AM »
Quote from: Duce;690557

Didn't answer me, Dammy.  How's that C-USA machine of yours treating you?  A guy that fervently supports a company like you do, you know, you not being an employee or anything of the sort, surely bought one and can offer a glowing review of it?  I'm honestly curious how you are enjoying your purchase, Dammy - please share.

They didn't send a review machine to a certain huge retro website either.

Offline Digiman

• Show all replies
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2012, 01:07:55 AM »
Quote from: persia;690587
@koaftder

C=USA's goals are low enough that they can make them, at least for now.  But they don't do anything that a typical mom and pop computer store does, assemble off the shelf hardware.  I've done it, a lot of people have done it.  But what that means is that they essentially made the goals of producing an Amiga by abandoning everything it means to be an Amiga.  

While most of us realise it is impossible to pick up where Commodore left off, there should be something unique about Amiga, some reason other than the name to be loyal to.

Exactly, if it has to be an x86 WINTEL motherboard it must be 100% AROS compatible and come in a replica Amiga 500/600/1000/1200/1500/2000/3000/4000 case AND with an identical keyboard layout at the very least.

Offline Digiman

• Show all replies
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2012, 05:42:34 AM »
Quote from: swoslover;690627
People are ridiculously self righteous about this.

It is ok to have threads about windows phones on the front page.

How're cusa which is Amiga related is not allowed.

I don't like those threads either but they're started by other Amigans not the manufacturer.

Like it or not they have the rights to use the Amiga name.  That makes them of interest to the amiga community.

They do indeed have that right however calling PCs with Linux in HTPC cases "Amiga" disaster/scam is our only interest. Perhaps Google search results willhelp keep fools from parting with their $$$

Some people on here are so elitist and condescending towards anything that doesn't fit within their narrow definition of an Amiga.  These are the ones ruining the boar with their trolling.

Not really, FREE engraved Amiga logo by Chinese manufacturer and some money paid to Amiga Inc is as Amiga as their overprice HTPC Wintel machine gets. Not even AROS tested.

If you don't like me trying to stop some clueless scum trying to rape one of my childhood brands today then just skip this thread. I'm morally on the high ground here vs C=USA sorry.

I will never buy a pc with an Amiga logo printed on it.  That doesn't mean we can't debate it.

We are debating every aspect of this lamentable situation here!

Until C=USA make an effort it is my duty to tell people the TRUTH!

Offline Digiman

• Show all replies
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2012, 06:09:06 PM »
Quote from: Wildstar128;690661
Shutup,

Put your $$$$ to invest in the brand, company, acquiring the rights. Just because you bought the computer. I been an owner of Commodore computer as far back as the 80s. You have no invested interest in the IP.

Your interest is selfish and to your own personal gain. You don't believe anyone should buy and make money on the brand or that they are going to be some 1 hour a month bull **** business that does nothing. You guys don't buy new hardware.

If you can't really make Jens Schonfeld and others what their economic worth it, then I would have a hard time believing your intent to support. Even then, it is hard to classify him and some of these folks real businesses. They are supporting quasi-businesses. As for thee hobby and quasi-projects... It will only go so long and then what?  Maybe it is ti e the old hw is museum piece while you enjoy the spirit of it via emulation. Oh wait.... You already do that...well most of you.

How many of you use this for real life serious business and professional work use. If there is 100s of members registered to this forum and only a few talk, that isn't enough. 2-3 out of a 100... How many of you is it just a pass time weekend hobby. How much is it serious daily business and work use.

Well you've just shown the entire forum what an uneducated retard you are  :lol:

Offline Digiman

• Show all replies
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2012, 08:11:54 PM »
Quote from: Pyromania;690766
Why does every CommodoreUSA fan say they don't work for them???

Well either they are telling lies or Mr BS can't afford to pay them :lol:

Offline Digiman

• Show all replies
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2012, 09:01:32 PM »
Quote from: Middleman;690780
1) I think Barry has given a fair and balanced interview. He is being pretty honest here IMHO and is hiding nothing here save any legal trade agreements they have with their business partners AFAIK….

He failed to answer some key questions, and his rebuke in each case was childish and unprofessional but evasive in those instances.

2) He is being realistic about the market situation and for the company in general - that for a reborn Commodore to survive, it has to make products that are relevant to the market and on-par tech wise with the best that is out there. Being Linux and Windows-compatible is one way to secure that future (or at least the funds for that future). Though not agreeing with 'legacy Amiga purists' going the x86 route now is the most logically sound route for the company at present.

We stated the bare minimum was for something akin to the effort put into C64x. A freely engraved case purchased from Wesena China is not remotely anything Amiga related and the i7 based motherboard is AROS incompatible.

Commodore OS is a complete joke. Linux and ugly skin is nothing to do with any Amiga OS. If it can't run Amiga source code natively with zero emulation as Amithlon or AROS do on x86 hardware is certainly isn't anything remotely related to the Amiga.

3) Had made some points which are very logical from a business perspective (which again may upset some Amiga fans here) but is the truth. Computers have come a long way since the Amiga days of producing customized chips, and the parts today are pretty much commoditized. To go against what the general market wants is financial suicide.

The only thing Mr BS is doing is pointing out he has nothing more than an AROS incompatible Linux box with a licensed Amiga logo engraved for free on Wesena HTPC mini ITX cases.

We don't want to buy such a machine which has nothing to do with Amiga in any way at all from any possible perspective anyone who ever used/owned/wanted an Amiga will have.

Even MorphOS, OS4 and AROS boxes aren't technically Amiga machines just a development to allow AHI/RTG system software to run without actual UAE/WinUAE emulation.

4) interesting points have been made in regards to how 'he sees' the Amiga brand, namely that it is a performance brand, and the old ideas were simply 'a concept'. In this day and age somehow he is right about it I feel….you don't see people using customized chipsets anymore save retro sites like A.org…..

His Amiga Mini has zero expansion capabilities and very sub standard graphics horsepower. So if we are going to talk about conceptual re-imagining of a machine then this 100% reliance on the fast i7 CPU to make up for lack of graphical hardware acceleration of the low end GPU on the motherboard (and no space to add a $400 PCI-E graphics card in that case) then what he has created is a virtual Atari Mega ST at best.

Like we said HTPC forces you to use on board sub optimal GPU in the machine's casing and this leads to a PC that will be basically the same as an off the shelf $400 PC performance wise. If he had thought this out better he would have chosen AMD technology with superior GPU performance built into the CPU cores on a single chip. Or of course built an A1000/A3000 case and allowed room for people to put extremely powerful graphics cards in such machines. As it stands the technical limitations of the Amiga Mini computer make it suitable only for little teenage girls who spend all day on Windows Live Messenger or Facebook or Youtube and may run a copy of Barbie and Ken. Your Amiga Mini will not even run the 2005 game of the year Battlefield 2. Your specs, CPU aside, are actually circa 2003

ergo everything he said was a load of BS and this is because all he can afford to do is sell rubbish HTPC machines for excessively high price with a free engraving service to make the most of uncle Bill's license to use the brand!

To be fair, after looking at the answers after his reply, I think the Amiga community in general I think is being too harsh on his company, and being too pessimistic about certain things a little too early. He has said he is a small company slowly working to rebuild the Commodore and Amiga brands. As  Leo has mentioned many times before Rome wasn't built in a day…..

CUSA I believe is doing things right - it's not doing anything 'wrong' except maybe have slightly more expensive offerings in some product lines to Apple? But even then it's coming down cheap.
I just heard they launched the new Vic Mini the other day….and that's a completely new product to the last one (which I remembered was similar to the Amiga Mini)….

We are not being harsh, the only bad mouthed delusional people around this place are the secret C=USA groupies that hang round here lately.

Their cases are badly chosen, the design nothing to do with Amiga case designs any time between 1985 and 1994, the limited expandibility of chosen cases embarrassing (no chance of PCI cards in there), their motherboard choice is not even compatible with AROS.

So you tell me, how is anything he has done not anything I couldn't have done in an afternoons work? And we are supposed to be interested?

The gospel of B[ull]S[hit] is not worshipped here. And his groupies (or him in disguise) coming here and insulting people will not help his cause.

1. Amigans wouldn't use the Amiga Mini for a doorstop.
2. Regular Joe Public would not pay the price for that, rather an ASUS EEE PC

My take on this is that the C64x was a commercial disaster for him due to the bespoke case and custom keyboard and now his anger and lack of available cash has forced him to selotape an Amiga logo on an unsuitable chinese HTPC computer and he is angry this will also be a failure.

Had he bothered to make even just an A500/1200 style case and use a standard PC full size keyboard in there and sold those two parts together at a reasonable price he may have a viable business. As it stands OTHER people will do a better job than him of this and it may be that this is all people are interested in due to the need to have suitable business contacts to produce such esoteric items today in a world of Dell/ASUS PCs for peanuts at PC World.

Amiga Mini is neither

1. Unique looking.
2. Unique in hardware under the case.
3. Unique in ability to run Amiga related OS like AROS
4. Keenly priced
5. Anything that people who have two hands couldn't build for half the price identically

RIP C=USA. I give them 12 months before the whole thing shuts down due to bad management and product selection giving rise to death of his business.

My advice to them, and this is coming from someone who has sold over 2000 computers to earn my living before I have any more business lessons lol, is to discount the C64x and start promoting it.

Lack of 9 pin joystick to USB adaptors aside it is the only product they have which is remotely saleable and the only issue potentially interested parties have is the price. So drop the price by 40% and they might stave off bankruptcy.