Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hello! Long time lurker..  (Read 1412 times)

Description:

Offline BGoins12Topic starter

Hello! Long time lurker..
« on: January 30, 2015, 03:58:37 PM »
Hi guys! I figure it's about time I post on here. I signed up back in December of 2013 because I bought an Amiga 500 off eBay. Since I didn't have any programs to go with it (and couldn't find any cheap enough), I ended up putting it away in hopes to find an A1200. The biggest reason I wanted an A1200 is because around 1996 or 1997, I went to a friend's house and they had a 1200... I was astonished how how cool it was. I wanted one so bad!

Well, I finally did! About 2 weeks ago, I was looking on the UK eBay for Amiga stuff, and happened to come across an A1200 that came with the books, software, a mouse and an external floppy drive.

The price? Only $150 USD! So I immediately bought it without even giving it a second thought because I learned my lesson from the last time when I missed out on an A1200 that was a good price. Even though I live in the US, I have a flat panel TV that is capable of NTSC and PAL. It took about 2 weeks to get here, but it was well worth the wait!

The only bad things? None of the software disks work, I assume due to age as I cleaned the drives and the drives work well with my Workbench 1.3 disk from the A500. The other issue is that I was getting a green screen after about 30-45 minutes of use. I took it apart and combed over the board with an eye loupe and didn't find anything visibly wrong, so I reseated the Kickstart ROMs and so far, it hasn replicated the green screen. I assume that it sat in storage and there was a wee bit of corrosion on the legs of the chips that was causing an issue.

Right now I am waiting for my IDE cable to get here so I can hook up the 2GB Transcend IDE SSD I have. I used WinUAE and installed Workbench 3.1 on it so hopefully it works right!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 04:04:33 PM by BGoins12 »
-William
A1200 - 2GB Transcend IDE SSD - WB 3.1
A500 - All original