Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hi from a new amiga user!  (Read 1456 times)

Description:

Hi from a new amiga user!
« on: May 08, 2008, 04:03:37 AM »
Hi, everyone! I'm Patrick, and I'm new to Amigas. I've been lurking for a little bit, and thought I'd properly introduce myself. I just bought an A1200 for which I'm waiting to get roms and workbench 3.1 from amigakit. I'm also going to try to build an A3000D system from parts. I love tinkering with hardware - I write software for a living, and find it relaxing to close the lid on my windoze laptop and play around with older machines. I was an apple //c user back in the 80s/early 90s, ran a BBS off of a Mac in the mid-90s, and collected wierd machines for a while (trs-80 model 12, osbourne portable) but I wasn't able to hold onto most of it due to moving around. I wanted to get something I could have fun with that would be really nice and for some reason, visions of Amigas popped right into my head. :) It makes sense, I suppose, because I have a whole host of books and data sheets for the m68k family which will make things easier - now if only I can find the box they're in, lol. This seems like a nice board, with many friendly users. Thank you to the admins for running it!

Offline trekiej

Re: Hi from a new amiga user!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 04:23:58 AM »
Welcome.
My name is Rick and I am from the East Texas area.
I believe you will find a cool crew here.
Jump right in and enjoy the fun.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline mbrantley

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 04:55:52 AM »
New blood! Love reading a post about when the Amiga ranks grow by one instead of shrinking by that number. Welcome, Patrick.

Coincidentally, I just bought an Apple //c to play around with. Had to get a USB-to-RS232 adapter so I could connect it to my Mac with a null modem.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 02:24:08 AM »
Thanks for welcoming me.

The //c is a great little system btw - just make sure it is always on the support handle and not the base or it might overheat. Does yours have the dvorak keyboard switcher? I'm not sure if they all did, it is a cool feature although I do recommend against moving the keycaps. I've seen several people break their keyboards trying it.