Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: back to basics  (Read 883 times)

Description:

Offline mattcaTopic starter

• Show only replies by mattca
back to basics
« on: October 01, 2005, 03:02:08 PM »
Hi

I was an A500 gamer back when I should have been out getting drunk and discovering girls (well I did a bit but the Amiga games were what I remember :) )

Now I've just bought another A500 for the nostalgia, but I also picked up an A1200 and a HDD for it which I'm planning on messing with.
I've managed to hook them up to the PC via serial cable and Amiga Explorer.  I even managed to partition and install the HDD in the 1200, the system boots into Workbench 3.1 and runs AExplorer automatically which is pretty cool (to me :) )  Should I call the HDD "Workbench"?  Seemed to cause a problem when I had it named something else.

Now I'm at a bit of a dead-end.  I installed DPaint onto the HDD but it didn't create any icons...  I can run it from the shell but that kind of defeats the point of having a gui OS...

So the question is, where can a Windows user go to learn to do all the things he takes for granted?  And what the heck are these 'tools' I keep hearing about in Workbench?

Offline Managarm

• Show only replies by Managarm
    • http://www.freewebs.com/robinslair
Re: back to basics
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 03:15:43 PM »
This website has loads of stuff, I've found it pretty useful over the years.

http://amiga.emugaming.com/workgroups.html

Offline melott

• Show only replies by melott
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 03:21:18 PM »

mattca wrote:
Hi

So the question is, where can a Windows user go to learn to do all the things he takes for granted?  And what the heck are these 'tools' I keep hearing about in Workbench?

You've already found the BEST place for your questions ;-)
All you have to do is post them ...
With the user-base knowledge here, someone will answer your
questions.
There are no dumb questions .........

Stealth ONE  8-)

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 04:36:12 PM »
Thanks Managarm, I think I've been to that site a couple of times but somehow it didn't make it into my bookmarks.  It has now...

And thanks for the welcome, melott.  I'm not a hugely frequent poster but I have learned that sadly not all forum-goers share your attitude toward questions.  But from what I've read so far you lot seem like a friendly bunch :-)

I think the dumb questions will begin when I outgrow this stock A1200, could be a while considering how stupid it makes me feel  :crazy:

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 01:34:42 AM »
Welcome to Amiga.org!  The friendliest place on the net that I have found.  As for no DPaint icon, you might want to reinstall the program to see if it shows up.  You can also force the amiga to show all files in a window by pressing the right mouse button and going to the window menu at the top of the Workbench screen and choosing show all files.

Like the other member that replied said, there are no stupid questions.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 01:56:51 PM »
Hi amigadave, thanks.

I finally figured out the icon situation, it's very bizarre at first but makes sense when you think about it.  I kept seeing the *.info files but it took me a while to make the connection  :-o

It's like a totally different system without the constant disk-swapping.

Offline samanosuke

• Show only replies by samanosuke
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 10:10:15 AM »
Tell me about it. First time I used an Amiga with a HDD it really felt like I was cheating!
My Amigas: A4000 w/CS Mk II \'060, Picasso IV, 128Mb, OS3.9
Stock A4000 040 w/16Mb, OS3.0