Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New/old Amiga fan  (Read 1278 times)

Description:

Offline ToddyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Toddy
New/old Amiga fan
« on: September 22, 2005, 09:10:40 PM »
Hi everyone,

My name is Toddy and I had an Amiga 500 when I was 14/15 (am 28 years now). I live in Hallowell, Maine and I guess I am back in the Amiga-fever! I have been toying with the idea of buying this awesome computer again but don't really know where I canpurchase one - except from Ebay. Today, I found two entries at Ebay but the seller is from the United Kingdom and I am kind of hesitant to order an Amiga from Europe since they have different power outlets and voltage.

Can anyone be so kind to tell me if I can currently order an Commodore Amiga 500 in the U.S.A? And can anyone please give me a tip where to look, what a good price deal looks like today. I would also like to know where I can find monitors that can be hooked on an Amiga.

Thanks for your help....and I am glad to be part of this forum now!
Take care,
Toddy

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
Re: New/old Amiga fan
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 09:25:11 PM »
hey toddy,
you should be able to get an a500 from ebay from here in the states or canada we all got the same power and stuff. i got an amiga 1200 from canada a couple of years ago. there is also amibench (i think i dont go there much) and here on amiga.org one of the forums is for amiga on ebay and not on ebay. also posting like you just did can get others who may have just such a machine that they will sell. i got an a3000 awhile ago here on amiga.org.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 09:32:21 PM »
hi kthunder,

nice to hear from you. that's right, there is a whole amiga/ebay forum here on amiga.org - must not have seen it! i will look around there. see you around later! take care,

toddy

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 10:05:26 PM »
Toddy,  Have you considered using an emulator on the computer you already have?  With the speed of current computers, emulation is very stable and usable now.  Packages like Amiga Forever from Colanto are excellent substitutes for some people.  It depends on what you want to do with an Amiga 500.  Of course, I myself will want to have the "Real Thing" for as long as mine keep running, but for many Amiga users, the only Amiga they own and use, is an emulated one.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 10:25:14 PM »
emulated or aros  
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 06:40:02 PM »
hi amigadave,

good question...hm, i have a mac at the moment and i know that there is the possibility of getting an amiga emulator. i have been condidering it because i am really interested in just a few amiga games (primarily the ones i played as a teenager). the only thing that makes me hesitate is the fact that you have to download a number of things in the internet in order to make the emulator run. you have to have the actual emulator software, another software that displays the emulator in a window on mac os...and then, you also need to have a kickrom and know anout changing certain libraries - which i really don't at this point (and don't have the time and a lot of fun with studying an emulator for a day or more).

so, honestly, this is why i came up with the idea of buying an amiga - again. considering that an a500 seems to be available at a price range between $30 and $200, i think it's really worth thinking about it.

if you know of an easier way maybe for me to get some sort of "no brainer" package-deal of an amiga-emulator for a mac osx (where I don't have to do or know of the things mentioned above), then please let me know.

thanks,
toddy

amigadave wrote:
Toddy,  Have you considered using an emulator on the computer you already have?  With the speed of current computers, emulation is very stable and usable now.  Packages like Amiga Forever from Colanto are excellent substitutes for some people.  It depends on what you want to do with an Amiga 500.  Of course, I myself will want to have the "Real Thing" for as long as mine keep running, but for many Amiga users, the only Amiga they own and use, is an emulated one.

Offline AmigaMance

• Show only replies by AmigaMance
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 09:05:31 PM »
I suggest you go for the real thing, not emulated. I wouldn't bother with the A500. It's too old and limited. Go for a A1200. You can achieve a high level of compatibility with old A500 games, using degraders like ReloKick.  Or even better, buy an ordinary IDE HD for your A1200 and run old games with the WHDLoad system.
A1200 PPC user.

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 09:35:31 PM »
I'd recommend starting off with UAE. Just about every piece of software i had on my a1000 from when i was a kid, ive found on the net.

If you are looking for a game, try asking the guys on usenet over at comp.sys.amiga.games