Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MiniMig+  (Read 5858 times)

Description:

Offline psxphill

Re: MiniMig+
« on: April 06, 2014, 02:31:45 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;761993
How about have a 3D custom chipset that compete with PS3 graphics....that is a beginning of enticing me to sell my A4000D for this "MiniMag+". But if you are telling me it is the good old AGA with more CHIP RAM even if it is 1 GB CHIP RAM is nice...but I am ok with what I have.

I think you have unrealistic expectations, even PS2 graphics would make your A4000 cry.

I'd settle for PS1 graphics without requiring a mortgage. It would at least be doable and would make some software possible that wasn't before.

It would just need 15 bit rgb chunky output and some new blitter modes.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 02:34:53 PM by psxphill »

Offline psxphill

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 10:39:34 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;762057
I thought at 2014 I have realistic expectation.

Of course you did, but an FPGA at this price can't do PS3 graphics no way no how.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 03:23:52 PM »
Quote from: billt;762518
Everything is of course a tradeoff. If one wants, PS3 graphics, as the person I replied to suggested, then one will pay for it. If one wants something relatively inexpensive, then one might not get PS3 level graphics. Especially in an FPGA, compared to Sony's custom ASIC.

PS3 graphics are rendered by an NVidia chip, it also has a load of multi ghz cpu/math cores. Anyone who thinks they will be able to get anywhere near that on a cheap FPGA is deluded. You could just buy a PS3 and run Linux on it.

The best you can hope for is somewhere between PS1 & PS2 and that is still pushing it.