Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MiniMig+  (Read 5869 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_HTopic starter

MiniMig+
« on: April 05, 2014, 07:50:52 PM »
Amiga-news.de is reporting on an enhanced version of the MiniMig.

I wasn't terribly excited about the original MiniMig. It's of course an incredible technical achievement and milestone, and it has my infinite praise for that reason, but the fact that it replicated pretty much a stock A500 meant that I wasn't lining up to buy one.

THIS one, however, interests me greatly! I guess I missed/forgot the news on it when it was first announced. 030-comparable performance, plenty of RAM (chip and fast), modern ports, possibility of AGA - now we are talking! I just hope it's a standard form factor or they release a case for it.

Can't wait to buy!

Re: MiniMig+
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 05:13:09 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;762009
I wouldn't call the Minimig a "stock A500".  Mine has a 68000 at almost 50MHz, 3.5MB RAM, 4 "floppies", 2 Hard Drives and a Scan Doubler.  You could say it has a PS-2 keyboard and mouse adapter too.  ;)

Heh, fair enough, although those features weren't part of the first Minimigs. I'm looking forward to the extra RAM on the Minimig+ for some basic audio and image processing, as well as a comfortably-sized RAM disk workspace. With the Ethernet, it'll also be sufficient for some basic web browsing - enough to grab some files from Aminet, at least. Having just tried to do this on my 6MB 030 A2000, I can tell you it's a little difficult ;)

We may finally have a true "luggable" Amiga that can handle (almost) any modern display and input devices :)

Now if someone can find/build a case for it with an integrated display...

Re: MiniMig+
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 11:07:33 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;762062
Yeah, without ram and/or Ethernet and/or USB the Minimig will always be a games machine.  And as you say, while you can surf the net with an 030 on classics, my A2000 and A4000 both have 040 CPUs and RTG which makes a hell of a difference.

At least the FPGA Arcade will give us RTG and then 060, Ethernet and USB via the daughterboard.  Eventually.

Methinks I need to take a closer look at this FPGA Arcade thingy. I haven't been following it at all - what you're describing sounds pretty darn cool! Is there a good web resource to learn more about its Amiga features?