Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MiniMig+  (Read 5878 times)

Description:

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: MiniMig+
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2014, 01:12:22 PM »
Looking forward to this new Minimig+.  I don't play games whatsoever, so really been looking forward to something with an Ethernet port and something with more functionality than the original Minimig, which is admittedly very gamer focused.

Been looking for a "desktop" class modern hardware solution to run my BBS on, never did get an email back from the FPGA Arcade folks when they initially did their interest check years ago :/

Love my SAM, but it doesn't run the old BBS doors as well as I wish it did :(

Offline mikej

• Show only replies by mikej
    • http://www.fpgaarcade.com
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2014, 03:13:59 PM »
Quote from: Duce;762116

Been looking for a "desktop" class modern hardware solution to run my BBS on, never did get an email back from the FPGA Arcade folks when they initially did their interest check years ago :/:(

I'm sorry, I do reply to all mails - sometimes I get a bit swamped and forget. Mail again.
/Mike

Offline mikej

• Show only replies by mikej
    • http://www.fpgaarcade.com
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2014, 03:17:21 PM »
Quote from: freqmax;762034
FPGA Arcade is only for developers so far and the AGA source are still not released. So no go.

Not quite, a number of boards are with non-developers. Shipping is increasing now.

The Replay board is designed for mass-production, so a lot of effort has been put into board test etc - I don't want any problems with the hardware in the field.

It's also been designed from the ground up to support multiple cores, with a core library and flexible menu system. This has taken some time.

As soon as the Amiga new FD/HD system is working, I'll start shipping like crazy and all code will be released.

/MikeJ

Offline gaula92

• Show only replies by gaula92
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2014, 04:21:19 PM »
I'm one of the "early adopters" of the FPGA ARCADE and the board is incredible, but patience is definitively a must. I had to learn that this used to be a one-man effort (there's more people involved making and porting cores), so these things take time.
But look: we're getting all the sources. This is the kind of projects we need to keep the Amiga and other platforms alive, not closed useless hardware like the MCC-216 or the TC64 wich get lost in time when their commercial period ends.

So don't even think about it an insist MikeJ, I'm not a developer but I got board long ago, so it's definitely possible to get one :)

Or just wait, you'll be getting one anyway, as soon as you see it working :D

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2014, 06:28:34 PM »
Mikej, I want to order the board as soon as possible. I will wait until it is available in your main website, but the problem with your website Mikej is it does not allow me to ship to Canada. Can you please put Canada part of the shipping country...it is much appreciate it?

Offline AmigaClassicRule

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2014, 09:09:45 PM »
It is official! I am selling my A4000D and instead I am getting an FPGA Replay instead.

Advantages are as follows:

1) Tiny size compared to the huge size of the Amiga 4000D
2) I can have 64 MB of CHIP RAM instead of 2 MB CHIP RAM
3) Faster bandwidth for CHIP RAM and blitting over the very slow one on A4000D
4) No more need to worry about real disk as everything can be done on ADF and HDF file
5) Build in scandoubler (build in VGA port)
6) Build in USB ports
7) Build in RTG
8) Allow me to expand it with 060 running at least at 110 Mhz if I wanted too with Ethernet port

All of those even if it cost me 800 dollars without the 060 expansion of course...all of this is going to cost me cheaper than getting an A4000 and expand it and still be weaker than FPGA Replay Arcade.

Here is why? In order to get a voodoo card or PCI ethernet card for example I need to pay 440+ for the mediator. Ok my Amiga 4000D already cost me 700 dollars stock version before shipping and handling which would cost me another 200 dollars.

So my stock Amiga 4000D cost me 900 bucks plus 440 equal to $1340.

Then if I want to expand it to 060 running at 050 Mhz it is going to cost me something like 700 dollars what with the market in the eBay and in AmiBay etc. So my Amiga 4000D end up costing me now with expansion $2040. Do not forget if I am ordering them in the internet I have to add shipping and handling cost so let us add another $100 bucks so it cost me $2140. What if I want to expand the RAM from 16 MB to 128 MB in AmigaKit.com it cost me 104.82 before shipping and handling for RAM so now the total amount I spend on the Amiga 4000D will be 2144.82. Bare in mind I am still stuck with 2 MB CHIP RAM and bottleneck of this hardware. Even if I went extreme and I halved it and I actually spend $1072.41 expand the Amiga 4000D that is way more than an FPGA Replay Arcade which gave me all this already as default setting with the exception of 060 daughterboard and still 10x faster than the original Amiga 4000D in all regards including graphics blitting, etc.

Ok so the one disadvantage FPG Replay may have that it does not support PPC as say Amiga 4000D does, but if you think about it that is not really a lose. The Amiga 4000D in order to support PPC it will use an outdated garbage card that cost 2000 dollars easy and still be weak enough not to run anything say like the NG does. So this feature in my A4000D I will never use in my life so I lost nothing.

Ok one could say the daughterboard 060 could easily be the same cost as an fgpa replay say 800 dollars. Even if I get the fpga replay plus expansion to be 1600 dollars it is still cheaper than the A4000D had I decided to go full force expanding it. But with the A4000D I am still limited with 2 MB CHIP RAM and severe bottleneck. With FPGA Replay I could do things that I can never be able to do on classical Amiga.

I am sure you guys could come in again and attack me or have a point you guys wish to proof, bring it on :)

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2014, 02:12:59 AM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;761993
Honestly I am not looking for AGA. I am looking for SAGA instead. New complete custom chipset all together...forcing AmiBlitz to update their engine to meet the new SAGA commands for example. Better, faster bandwidth for a starter, support 32 bit colors with no degradation of speed and regardless of the amount of sprite and size is a good start.

How about have a 3D custom chipset that compete with PS3 graphics....that is a beginning of enticing me to sell my A4000D for this "MiniMag+".  But if you are telling me it is the good old AGA with more CHIP RAM even if it is 1 GB CHIP RAM is nice...but I am ok with what I have.

Do you have any idea how long it would take the number of those who can and are interested in doing so for open-source Amiga to make something on-par or better than PS3? If we can get sources for OpenGraphics that may be the best starting point. I don't remember if it was actually open-RTL code as sometimes it seemed only the software register programmin model would be open-spec for easy driver making.
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2014, 03:10:15 AM »
@ AmigaClassicRule:

You're thinking along my lines.  My main Classic Amiga is my A4000 with a 68040, Mediator/Radeon/SpiderUSB/SB128, FastATA400.

I expect my FPGA Replay to replace this as my main Classic machine once the daughterboard is released.  OK, we're not going to have any Zorro/PCI slots, but since I installed USB in my Amiga, I've expanded it using those ports anyway.  I can actually close the case at last!  :D
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline AmigaClassicRule

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2014, 03:15:07 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;762471
@ AmigaClassicRule:

You're thinking along my lines.  My main Classic Amiga is my A4000 with a 68040, Mediator/Radeon/SpiderUSB/SB128, FastATA400.

I expect my FPGA Replay to replace this as my main Classic machine once the daughterboard is released.  OK, we're not going to have any Zorro/PCI slots, but since I installed USB in my Amiga, I've expanded it using those ports anyway.  I can actually close the case at last!  :D

EXACTLY!
:laugh1::):) Darrin, even if the daughterboard somehow never managed to be released ever in existence for whatever reason...still the FPGA Replay by default setting is a major expansion and improvement over my original A4000D and still faster than my 040 @ 25 Mhz could ever muster and I have even feeling I can watch .hv movies on my FPGA Replay by default with 20 fps running smoothly over my A4000D running now which is crawling and only doing 4 fps with sound...* shivers * AND I am getting 64 MB CHIP RAM! NO more worrying about coding tricks and moving data from fast to chip and and and..no more worrying about how much size sprite needs to be, amount of color, speed, out of chip ram YOU NAME it! No more have to worry about all that...I am now free as a programmer instead of being jailed by the limitation of a restrictive hardware.

So in the end it is a win-win for me...and the size is tinier than my A4000D. So if someone in eBay wants to buy it out of my hand for fetish of just owning it...go for it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 03:21:42 AM by AmigaClassicRule »

Offline freqmax

• Show only replies by freqmax
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2014, 07:17:25 AM »
The daughterboard could be an PPC one instead of 060 if one so wishes. It's mainly a PCB routing and assembly pain.

The OpenGraphics project (OGP) is a nice thought but uses high end FPGA where the cost for chips and route-and-place tools is prohibitive. So it's in practice a no go solution. It's better to polish your knowledge in graphics and start from scratch. Do less, do the important and be confident that it's enough (less is more). Are all functions of the PS3 really needed? if not which one would be the most important ones?

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2014, 12:30:39 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;762471
@ AmigaClassicRule:

whats the problem closing the case? i only kept my mediator 4k open as of late because constantly exchanging hardware for testing. any heat issues are easy to solve with a pci slot fan without any further mods.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2014, 12:34:09 PM »
Quote from: freqmax;762483
The daughterboard could be an PPC one instead of 060 if one so wishes. It's mainly a PCB routing and assembly pain.

please no! i hope the development will further concentrate on 68k compatible solutions instead trying to force through uncanny clumsy hybrids there is almost no software for.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2014, 01:00:35 PM »
I don't think an old computer is meant to have several levels of upgrades to do modern tasks. You could have a G3 with PCI slots, but that is almost a second computer getting shoved in.
There must be a number of things that cause real slow downs. Even PCI is getting old now.
A4000 is the faster computer from 20 years ago.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2014, 01:02:45 PM »
p.s I don't require PowerPC cards either. I don't think there is anybody who could make one at the moment anyway.

edit:
Oh Okay. I should read the post properly. Could have PowerPC. It sounded like "we should have a PowerPC card for it"
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:41:21 PM by ElPolloDiabl »
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline freqmax

• Show only replies by freqmax
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2014, 03:53:53 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;762498
please no! i hope the development will further concentrate on 68k compatible solutions instead trying to force through uncanny clumsy hybrids there is almost no software for.

My point was that FPGA Arcade doesn't exclude PPC capabilities. As most software for Amiga is 68k anyway. The PPC path is quite moot.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #44 from previous page: April 14, 2014, 06:07:30 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;762497
whats the problem closing the case? i only kept my mediator 4k open as of late because constantly exchanging hardware for testing. any heat issues are easy to solve with a pci slot fan without any further mods.

I don't have heat issues, I'm just always poking around inside swapping cards/drives.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.