Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OK, Now i'm getting Checksum errors  (Read 570 times)

Description:

Offline wildstar1063Topic starter

• Show only replies by wildstar1063
OK, Now i'm getting Checksum errors
« on: June 16, 2014, 03:44:33 AM »
If you've seen my previous post today, you know Thomas helped me get my
Memtech 1.5 GB drive to mount after Installing and Partitioning.

Now I have been able to format it and I'm trying to copy to it, and getting Checksum
 errors. I have set a 251 Mb partition for the OS, and the remainder for  the Work
partition, so nothing too big.

The HDToolbox auto set the following parameters:

Mask 0x7ffffffe

Max Transfer 0x00001fe00

Block size 1024 which I changed to 512, just to see if there was a difference.

The Memtech drives are Solid State drives in a 3.5" IDE form factor. you might
not know it was a SSD unless you listened and didn't hear it spin up and the
heads unlatch. It has the IDE connector and Master, Slave and cable select jumper
and power connector just where you would expect to find them on a standard drive
with platters

Any Ideas on this one? Im starting to get frustrated with this, it should not take this long
to copy one drive to another, I have done this many times with my SCSI Amigas, with
no problems.

Chuck E.
Amiga 3000T with 12Megs-SCZ, G-Force 040 28mhz, Delfina Lite, CyberVision 64/3D, QuickNet-2000 Ethernet, 2gig IBM , CD Rom and external Zip 100 Also Fastlane Z3 board and Amax IV whenever I install them.
Also an A600, and an A3000D bone stock, with 12...

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
Re: OK, Now i'm getting Checksum errors
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 05:31:17 AM »
What file system are you using, and what patches have you loaded in the startup-sequence/user-startup?

Are you using kickstart 3.1?

Are you using a 040 or 060?
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 06:55:35 AM »
Sorry most of that was in my other thread. OS 3.9 with updates to Boing bag 3.
Currently FFS, i'm trying to move everything to the 1.5gig drive so I can put the
6 gig one on PFS. Yes KS 3.1 and an A3640. this is a new OS install, the only other things I have added so far are Picasso96 (GVP EGS-28/24 Spectrum) MUI and MagicWB

I have not setup a new AmigaOS setup in about 23 years or so, I bought a new A3000
way back when and when it died I kept the drive which I believe started out as OS 2.o4
and was upgraded over the years to 3.1 and when I got the 3000T I Copied the old HD
to a new drive and upgraded that one to 3.5 and then 3.9. there is a lot of old baggage
on that drive and a huge font collection. So I thought it would be nice to start the
A4000 out with a new OS install, and I wanted to try Picasso96 amd PFS (Cybergrafx and SFS on the 3000T)

I believe the issue to be with the Memtech 1.5, since I put a 2 gig WD caviar
in it's place and installed, partitioned and formatted it, and was able to copy to it with
no drips runs or errors.

I dont know if the drive itself is bad or if I just need to use different parameters.
The 6Gig Memtech works like a champ, and I just let HDToolBox set it up with
the defaults. The two drives are of different models, and I dont know which is
newer. Info on these drives on the web is scarce and Memtech got bough by another company some time ago, The 6gig was from a line of drives called Wolverine and the
1.5 gig was from a line called Booster Rocket.

Thanks

Chuck E.
Amiga 3000T with 12Megs-SCZ, G-Force 040 28mhz, Delfina Lite, CyberVision 64/3D, QuickNet-2000 Ethernet, 2gig IBM , CD Rom and external Zip 100 Also Fastlane Z3 board and Amax IV whenever I install them.

Offline Thomas

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 12:16:12 PM »
My first thought was MaxTransfer but this seems correct already.

Could you please quote the complete error message.

If it mentions a block number, does the number vary between different tries or is it always the same?

As this is a SSD, do you have the opportunity to check for firmware updates? I remember that when SSDs became popular, the usual advice in computer magazines and support forums was to check for firmware updates first before you use the drive.

Offline Calimeiro

• Show only replies by Calimeiro
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 02:12:04 PM »
The "Wolverine" model is the newer. It sports UDMA-66 while older "Booster Rocket" is up to PIO-4 only.

You might connect them in reverse order, BR as master W as slave.
Or use working WD Caviar to backup.

Could be hard to find any firmware as Memtech was part of stec that is now part of HGST (Hitachi Global Storage) and these old drives can't be found on their site.

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 04:22:08 PM »
I did switch to the WD late last night, and was able to start moving everything over.

@Calimeiro where did you find the info on the Memtech drives? I have not found much
 on the web. I knew they had changed hands several times.I will try the Booster rocket
in the primary position and see if it makes a difference when I get everything moved.
I would still like to use the drive in another machine as a primary drive.

Memtech also made some drives with a 50 PIN SCSI interface, currently I am watching eVilBay for a couple of them to try in my A3000's

@Thomas I will try to get the exact error when I hook the drive back up. I can tell
you that the error blocks  are not the same every time but change. I am copying
one partition to another using the command "Copy Drive0: Drive1: buffer=200 all clone"
and the copy will run for a wile and get and error, usually I can just hit "retry" and it will
keep moving, but sometimes it will get stuck on one block and I have to "Cancel". It seems
to get worse the later in to the copy it gets. Also, I found the FAQ's on your site, Very nice!

I wonder if the difference in transfer rate between the UDMA-66 and PIO-4 specs
(66 MB/s vs 16.7 MB/s for PIO-4) means I should use a lower MaxTransfer.

Anyhow, I'm off to work now

thanks for all the help, I did some google searches for all of this, but there is a bunch
of conflicting info.

Chuck E.

Offline Thomas

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 05:48:50 PM »
Quote from: wildstar1063;766877
I wonder if the difference in transfer rate between the UDMA-66 and PIO-4 specs
(66 MB/s vs 16.7 MB/s for PIO-4) means I should use a lower MaxTransfer.

Erm, MaxTransfer is chunk size, not transfer speed. Like MTU in networking. IDE can transfer max. 256 sectors at a time. That's 0x20000 bytes. 0x1fe00 is one sector less for safety.

The Amiga's IDE port does PIO-0 at most. UDMA specs don't matter at all and PIO-4 is far out of reach.