Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmiWest 2017 clarifications  (Read 4381 times)

Description:

Offline ssolieTopic starter

• Show only replies by ssolie
    • http://www.solie.ca/
AmiWest 2017 clarifications
« on: October 24, 2017, 07:30:05 PM »
AmiWest 2017 is over and it was one crazy time!

There were the usual announcements and many things were said.

If you want clarifications on anything, please post your questions here and I'll do my best to answer and/or clarify things.

Just don't guess what I meant. Ask instead.
ExecSG Team Lead

Offline kamelito

Re: AmiWest 2017 clarifications
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 07:41:13 PM »
Quote from: ssolie;832128
AmiWest 2017 is over and it was one crazy time!

There were the usual announcements and many things were said.

If you want clarifications on anything, please post your questions here and I'll do my best to answer and/or clarify things.

Just don't guess what I meant. Ask instead.

1) Hi Steve, You were on the Amiwest agenda -Next steps for AmigaOS-or something similar, why was it remove and what are the next steps?

2) Any update on the wiki front? like updating it further as there's still AmigaOS 2.x/3.x stuff or new tutorials from AmigaFuture?

Thanks Kamelito
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 07:51:05 PM by kamelito »

Offline Nagasakee

• Show only replies by Nagasakee
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 07:49:04 PM »
Steve, could you please update us as to the status of LibreOffice?  My understanding is that this subject was not a part of the Q&A.
happy X1000 owner

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 08:06:44 PM »
Quote from: kamelito;832129
1) Hi Steve, You were on the Amiwest agenda -Next steps for AmigaOS-or something similar, why was it remove and what are the next steps?

The original agenda was prepared without my input so there was a miscommunication.

2) Any update on the wiki front? like updating it further as there's still AmigaOS 2.x/3.x stuff or new tutorials from AmigaFuture?

The wiki is always being updated. October 18 was the last edit. We have 38 editors and each of them contributes however they wish. That is how a wiki works.

We only cover AmigaOS 4.0 and up as stated on the front page. I don't see any need to go backwards. The community can open up their own wiki if need be.

The next batch of AmigaFuture tutorials should be released in December. For some reason, AF wouldn't allow us to publish them until then.
ExecSG Team Lead

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 08:07:40 PM »
Quote from: Nagasakee;832130
Steve, could you please update us as to the status of LibreOffice?  My understanding is that this subject was not a part of the Q&A.

LibreOffice is still a work in progress and there is a beta test team working on it. That is all I know. I'm not on the beta testing team myself.
ExecSG Team Lead

Offline kamelito

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 08:26:56 PM »
@Steve
1) Since the new Radeon driver (3.3) removed the 256MB limitations is there work ongoing on the Amiga Libraries to take advantage of all that memory and also to take advantage of the power of the GPU?

2) is there improvement done on the  code optimization targetting PPC?
Kamelito
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 08:38:37 PM by kamelito »

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 09:03:55 PM »
Quote from: kamelito;832135
@Steve
1) Since the new Radeon driver (3.3) removed the 256MB limitations is there work ongoing on the Amiga Libraries to take advantage of all that memory and also to take advantage of the power of the GPU?

The plan is to take advantage of the GPU in as many places as possible in graphics.library. Keep in mind that means you have to transfer data into VRAM and let the GPU loose on it so this is not a simple thing to accomplish. Legacy software still uses the CPU to draw into bitmaps in regular RAM and then transfer that to the VRAM for display.

2) is there improvement done on the  code optimization targetting PPC?

The first step is updating the compiler tool chain. Our focus right now is on getting the A1222 to market and that target requires an updated tool chain as well.
ExecSG Team Lead

Offline BCP

• Show only replies by BCP
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 09:19:23 PM »
Steve, I did'nt hear any mention of Timberwolf at AmiWest.  Since its been open-sourced has there been any effort to update it?

- BCP

Offline kamelito

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 09:25:41 PM »
@Steve%&$#?@!
Is it possible to have something like fat binaries produced by the toolchain like what existed on the Next that target FPU and SPE  on one executable?
Kamelito

Offline Rob

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 09:42:49 PM »
Quote from: BCP;832138
Steve, I did'nt hear any mention of Timberwolf at AmiWest.  Since its been open-sourced has there been any effort to update it?

- BCP

There's been no activity on GitHub since the code was uploaded.

Offline Rob

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 09:47:06 PM »
@ssolie

Obviously NIC and Audio are a must for Tabor but will it's release also be dependent on the revised FPU emulation that Thomas is working on.

Are there a new blogs in the pipeline.  It would be nice to read a blog about the FPU emulation when it's done.

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 10:18:16 PM »
Quote from: kamelito;832139
Is it possible to have something like fat binaries produced by the toolchain like what existed on the Next that target FPU and SPE on one executable?

Anything is possible. How about we get it working first. :)
ExecSG Team Lead

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 10:29:06 PM »
Quote from: Rob;832141
Obviously NIC and Audio are a must for Tabor but will it's release also be dependent on the revised FPU emulation that Thomas is working on.

As was seen at AmiWest, the A1222 runs pretty darn well already. There is another scheme to improve FPU speed plus the final solution of using SPE. It is a concern for apps like SketchBlock which work 100% in floating point but generally shouldn't be a big issue.

Are there a new blogs in the pipeline.  It would be nice to read a blog about the FPU emulation when it's done.

Yeah, very good idea. I'll see if I can influence the boys to produce one for us.
ExecSG Team Lead

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 10:34:58 PM »
Quote from: BCP;832138

- BCP

+1 :hammer:
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Online nbache

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 11:19:02 PM »
Quote from: ssolie;832133
Quote from: kamelito
2) Any update on the wiki front? like updating it further as there's still AmigaOS 2.x/3.x stuff
We only cover AmigaOS 4.0 and up as stated on the front page. I don't see any need to go backwards. The community can open up their own wiki if need be
Steven, I think Kamelito meant that the Wiki still has stuff which was valid back in 2.x/3.x days, but not fully (or at all) today.

And to answer that myself, I know that there have been recent rewrites of some of that stuff, but things take time. Usually it tends to happen when somebody points out a specific example over on Hyperions forums, and one of the active Wiki editors sees it and has time (and knowledge) to fix it.

Best regards,

Niels