Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: duktape error NetSurf OS3  (Read 7580 times)

Description:

Offline chris

Re: duktape error NetSurf OS3
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 11:32:39 PM »
Quote from: DNADNL;809977
I can see a problem with the version date (6th April 1016). Maybe it comes from there ? A date issue as on every softwares synchronized with the Internet ?

That's a typo, it's just a text string, it's only used for display.
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 11:58:05 PM »
Quote from: DNADNL;809981
I'm not sure about the fact I followed the discussion (I've read so many things that I don't remember why ! ^^), but that's right ! AmiKit sometimes rebooted all alone while I was using NetSurf.
amiga system doesnt have memory protection, therefore a faulty application may reproducibly bring the whole system down or effectively reboot it. in many cases at least the faulty memory allocations, reads and writes may be intercepted by a third party software. for systems with mmu the muforce package from aminet.net is advisable. you can enable mmu in your uae settings or even use uaeenfircer directly, typing "winuaeenforcer" command into your amiga shell under uae.

there has been discussion about the choice of c library to be linked against and therefore memory allocator associated with this library. i would have to look for a link. basically you can link against clib2 as its default with netsurf, which is initially faster but appears to slow down dramatically pretty soon. then you can usually link with the libnix option, and as less encouraged, you can take advantage of one of the ixemul library versions, latest of which use internally some buddy allocator. also there is external implementation of tlsf fir amiga, rather rarely used and probably also not well tested due to (expected) incompatibilities. however im not sure what compiler and build config you use. is it some form of amidevcpp?

im sorry for this lengthy post, and things you may be aware of, but you seem to be new here, so i may be mentioning platitudes.

I'm sorry, I didn't understand what you wanted to say here. Do you mean AmiKit is made with Java ?
i think he would prefer you to fix the browser itself, before trying to implement javascript engine. this is what ducktape is, for what i recall?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 12:02:22 AM by wawrzon »

Offline Tygre

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2016, 02:06:23 AM »
Hi all!

Thanks for the interesting discussions and all the effort! I wanted to mention that linking with fortify really helps catching memory problems, maybe that could be an option for the development version of netSurf?

Maybe DNADNL could try? :)
Cheers!

Offline utri007

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2016, 06:27:53 AM »
Quote from: DNADNL;809981

I'm sorry, I didn't understand what you wanted to say here. Do you mean AmiKit is made with Java ?

AmiKit can be used with real Amigas, but usually it means emulator. Real Amiga = Harware with 680X0 CPU.
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2016, 08:47:15 AM »
Quote from: utri007;809991
AmiKit can be used with real Amigas, but usually it means emulator. Real Amiga = Harware with 680X0 CPU.

its a bit unclear what you are trying to say. even me i need to guess, that you probably want to say that javascript interpreter may be too heavy for real 68k cpus and only wirk with acceptable speed under x86 emulation. right?

Offline utri007

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2016, 09:39:08 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;809994
its a bit unclear what you are trying to say. even me i need to guess, that you probably want to say that javascript interpreter may be too heavy for real 68k cpus and only wirk with acceptable speed under x86 emulation. right?

Right. It would have been better to say Netsurf, instead "it".

Java is nice, but I have high doubt that it would make Netsurf unuseable with real Amigas. Maybe latter with Vampire accelerators?
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline chris

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2016, 02:20:16 PM »
Quote from: utri007;809996
Java is nice, but I have high doubt that it would make Netsurf unuseable with real Amigas.

Java and Javascript are two different things.  Duktape implements Javascript.  It will only slow down NetSurf on pages which use Javascript, but I've not noticed any particular difference in speed with JS on/off under OS4.  There were a couple of issues that made Duktape really slow in certain circumstances, but they've been fixed.

Quote from: Tygre;809986
Thanks for the interesting discussions and all the effort! I wanted to mention that linking with fortify really helps catching memory problems, maybe that could be an option for the development version of netSurf?

Oooh, that looks interesting.
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2016, 03:32:12 PM »
im posting here a link to our previous thread, what concerns the clib and memory allocation speed issues as well as later some stability issues probably still to be considered. sorry for not responding anymore in that thread, but i have lost sight of it.

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=70260&highlight=netsurf&page=14

and following pages..

Offline DNADNL

• Show only replies by DNADNL
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2016, 08:11:53 PM »
Oh, so many posts to read ! ^^

Quote from: wawrzon;809984
you can enable mmu in your uae settings or even use uaeenfircer directly, typing "winuaeenforcer" command into your amiga shell under uae. [...] however im not sure what compiler and build config you use. is it some form of amidevcpp?
i use cygwin 32bits and gcc-tools (with epoch2 and autom4te2, if I remember well) to compile Netsurf for AmigaOS3, and I use AmiKit V8 to launch NetSurf. I looked for the amiga shell on AmiKit but I didn't find it (but maybe I search in the wrong place, I don't know).

im sorry for this lengthy post, and things you may be aware of, but you seem to be new here, so i may be mentioning platitudes.
Don't worry, you're right to do this ! ^^ I'll try to read the link you post on one of your posts.

i think he would prefer you to fix the browser itself, before trying to implement javascript engine. this is what ducktape is, for what i recall?
That's the aim of DukTape, yes. I managed to make NetSurf 3.5 work without DukTape, and what I would like it's to make it work with DukTape. Of course NetSurf 3.5 isn't perfect and has some bugs, but at least it works, and it could work "better" with DukTape. Or maybe I should wait the 3.6 release version, as I can understand it doesn't contain DukTape ? ^^

Quote from: Tygre;809986
Hi all!

Maybe DNADNL could try? :)
Cheers!
Oh, I don't think I'm good enough to do this ! :lol: I downloaded and looked the fortify files... and it doesn't seem to be reachable (with my level) to create the call to fortify (I could break everything ! :lol: )

Quote from: utri007;809996
Right. It would have been better to say Netsurf, instead "it".

Java is nice, but I have high doubt that it would make Netsurf unuseable with real Amigas. Maybe latter with Vampire accelerators?
OK, I understand well, now.

Offline chris

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2016, 09:11:31 PM »
Quote from: DNADNL;810014
Oh, I don't think I'm good enough to do this ! :lol: I downloaded and looked the fortify files... and it doesn't seem to be reachable (with my level) to create the call to fortify (I could break everything ! :lol: )

Have a look at http://git.netsurf-browser.org/netsurf.git/log/?h=chris/fortify (or git checkout chris/fortify)
However... (a) that probably isn't adding fortify.h to all files (it assumes os3support.h and options.h are eventually included by everything, which probably isn't true)
and (b) it doesn't catch AllocVec/FreeVec and friends, which are mostly what I use in the frontend.

I'm getting some output, but it seems to be a load of bogus double free()s, which might be due to point (a) above, or because some of the allocations are made by linked libraries.

Try it and see if you can make any sense of the results.  I'll add some #defines for AllocVec when I get chance to catch those too.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2016, 09:23:02 PM »
Quote from: DNADNL;810014
I use cygwin 32bits and gcc-tools (with epoch2 and autom4te2, if I remember well) to compile Netsurf for AmigaOS3, and I use AmiKit V8 to launch NetSurf. I looked for the amiga shell on AmiKit but I didn't find it (but maybe I search in the wrong place, I don't know).

but where did you get 68k backend from? which gcc version is this?

i have never used amikit, just plain amiga and aros, but what concerns shell/cli it should be in
system sub directory.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 09:32:32 PM by wawrzon »

Offline Tygre

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2016, 01:36:40 AM »
Hi Chris and all!

Quote from: chris;810015
Have a look at http://git.netsurf-browser.org/netsurf.git/log/?h=chris/fortify (or git checkout chris/fortify)
However... (a) that probably isn't adding fortify.h to all files (it assumes os3support.h and options.h are eventually included by everything, which probably isn't true) and (b) it doesn't catch AllocVec/FreeVec and friends, which are mostly what I use in the frontend.

Ah, yes, I was just going to post about that: to the best of my knowledge, fortify "intercept" (i.e., redefine) the typical C allocations function: malloc, calloc, et al., and free. So it should probably be modified to add support for AmigaOS-dedicated functions.

I'm getting some output, but it seems to be a load of bogus double free()s, which might be due to point (a) above, or because some of the allocations are made by linked libraries.

Try it and see if you can make any sense of the results.  I'll add some #defines for AllocVec when I get chance to catch those too.

That would be very cool because in my (limited) experience with AmiModRadio, fortify really helps catching misplaced/forgotten free and overwrites...

Cheers!

Offline DNADNL

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2016, 03:18:27 PM »
However... (a) that probably isn't adding fortify.h to all files (it assumes os3support.h and options.h are eventually included by everything, which probably isn't true)
and (b) it doesn't catch AllocVec/FreeVec and friends, which are mostly what I use in the frontend.

OK, I'll try to check this out, but I don't promise anything. ^^

Quote from: wawrzon;810016
but where did you get 68k backend from? which gcc version is this?

I use gcc 5.3.0, that's what "gcc --version" says. For the 68k backend, if you talk about the kickstarts, I got them via Amiga Forever, if i recall well. Hoping this is answering your questions.

Offline chris

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2016, 03:35:25 PM »
Quote from: DNADNL;810066
I use gcc 5.3.0, that's what "gcc --version" says.

I didn't think that worked for 68k yet?

Offline DNADNL

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2016, 03:57:55 PM »
Quote from: chris;810067

I don't know, honestly. I can see gcc-3.4.6 (I think) is downloaded when I want to compile the toolchains.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #29 from previous page: June 17, 2016, 04:25:54 PM »
Quote from: chris;810067

since this is devcpp, as i underatand, probably the default main host gcc there is actually 5.3.0. sounds likely at least. however amiga-m68k crosscompiler backend can very well be 3.4.x. i dont know what stuff is bundled with amikit, but id expect that if someone is up to the task to install a toolchain, he will be able to tell, what toolchain it is and how he got it installed ;)..

edit: for all interested, in the old thread i posted a link to a gcc4.5.0 68k crosscompiler for (ami)devcpp. in case of interest look for it on amiga.sf.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 04:29:05 PM by wawrzon »