Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A500 Games on A1200  (Read 1088 times)

Description:

Offline neofreeTopic starter

• Show only replies by neofree
A500 Games on A1200
« on: December 10, 2002, 07:56:01 PM »
Hello, I was wondering a couple of things about some of my A500 games.

I am trying to get an A1200.  But first, will I even be able to use many of the A500 games?  Are there special programs to make these work?

Secondly, in the age of hard drives, is there a way I can put ADF's on the A1200's hard drive and then boot games that would otherwise require boot from floppy?

Thanks,

Neofree

Offline Kay

• Show only replies by Kay
    • http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~kayare
Re: A500 Games on A1200
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2002, 10:04:14 PM »
> I am trying to get an A1200. But first, will I even be able to use many of
> the A500 games? Are there special programs to make these work?

I think most of them should run without problems. Some might require a little tweaking, like choosing ECS or OCS rather than AGA in the early startup menu, and maybe turning off cpu caches. For games which are really anal about running on anything other than an A500, there is software which can help you out, like Relokick, which effectively turns your A1200 into an A500.

> Secondly, in the age of hard drives, is there a way I can put ADF's on
> the A1200's hard drive and then boot games that would otherwise require
> boot from floppy?

There are games which can be run from HD. Besides emulators, I haven't seen a way of executing ADF's directly though. The options I am aware of: Some games are HD installable initially. For those which isn't there are a couple of possibilities:
1. If the game isn't using a custom filesystem, you can always try copying the entire contents of the game disk to a directory on your harddrive, and then make an assign to that directory with the same name as the disk (for example "assign Desert1: games:itcamefromthedesert/Disk1"). That way, when the game looks for the disk, it will be redirected to the proper directory. This doesn't work with all games, though, but it's worth a shot.
2. Installers using tools like whdload and jst. Check out Aminet. These normally require the original disks, though.

Hope this is of some help.

Kay