Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Piracy on two counts  (Read 10373 times)

Description:

Offline AndrewBell

• Show only replies by AndrewBell
Re: Piracy on two counts
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 03, 2007, 08:18:16 AM »

sweetlilmre wrote:
Nightlong is PD?!? If so where can I get it from? -(e)

I doubt the validity of those claims. That DVD set also contains T-Zero, Wasted Dreams and Earth 2140. I know some of those are still sold by Amiga dealers. The guy is just bullsh!ting.
________
COLORADO DISPENSARIES
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 04:29:11 AM by AndrewBell »
Use the best: Linux for servers, Mac for graphics, Windows for Solitaire.

Offline sweetlilmre

• Show only replies by sweetlilmre
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2007, 08:30:39 PM »
So he's pirating them...
Time to alert the Amiga.org Anti-Piracy Squad? :-D

A1200: Blizzard 030 50Mhz 32Mb Ram, Micronik SD, CF 4GB with ClassicWB

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2007, 08:46:13 PM »
Or maybe just a friendly note to the current copyright holders, if you can find them, as they're the only ones that can legally file a complaint. Regardless of everyone's intentions, it's not legal--in the United States, at least--to make such a complaint unless you are the actual copyright holder or trademark owner. Keep that in mind the next time you feel like playing Batman. ;-)

EDIT

The reason I point that out is this: Let's say you make a formal complaint. eBay removes the auction based on your complaint. The auction holder then proves that yes, they were indeed authorized to sell or use the items in question. You as the complainant are now responsible for all losses incurred by the auction holder as a result of the removal of the auction.

Wayne is obviously entitled to protect his tradmark and copyrights. The rest of us, however, must tread lightly. Also recall that morality is entirely subjective, and the concept of ownership in the American and Westerm European sense is not universal. When in doubt, don't seek your own remedy. Instead, consult with an attorney.

Offline zhulien

• Show only replies by zhulien
    • http://zhulien.kicks-ass.net/
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2007, 01:24:28 PM »
omg, I can't believe how many anal people I know in the Amiga community who jump up and down when they see Amiga software pirated, but then go and pirate Amstrad CPC or C64 software (which has NOT been officially placed into the public domain).  double standard?  I think so!

(btw, someone will probably delete this post as they did in the other similar thread - I guess they are one of these double-standard people)

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2007, 01:34:29 PM »
What I don't understand is why anyone cares any more?

I understand the current software publishers protecting their software and sales, but that is up to THEM to do, not the anal anti-piracy police here.  

I understand AI wanting to protect Amiga OS and ROM piracy.  They have a vested interest.

I will also go overboard to protect MY copyrighted Amiga.org logo image.  Why?  Because it's mine.

What I don't understand is a few people here going ape {bleep} over protecting long-dead software where the author has either moved on or completely forgotten about it in the first place.

Get over it people.

Granted, I'm not inviting pirates to invade AO here.  I still kill pirate links where they're posted, but that's because I don't want AO to become a "accomplice" to piracy in itself.  That's a slippery slope to come back from, about like the idiots using Amiga.org to promote Bill Buck and his crap.

I guess I just don't understand the people who are all "Oh My God! Someone's pirating a 20 year old, dead piece of software!" mentality, any more than I understand why this two year old, dead thread was resurrected..

Wayne

Offline McVenco

• Show only replies by McVenco
    • http://www.amigascene.nl
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2007, 01:40:35 PM »
I guess I just don't understand why this two year old, dead thread was resurrected..

Because it's a sticky topic. Just unsticky it and it will die automatically (again) :-)
| A4000 | CS-MK3 060@50 | Picasso IV |
| Member of Team Amiga (tm) | FidoNet 2:286/414.18 (long ago) |
| SysOp The Missing Channel BBS | Member of AGA BBS Intl. |

Offline zhulien

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2007, 01:41:30 PM »
personally, I like the fact I get a nicely packaged product and generally buy them, but if others pirate software I couldn't care less - I'm especially against idiots who say it's ok to pirate eg: c64 software but not Amiga software - they are just inconsistent morons - pick a side ffs (I totally dislike people though selling it, that is a criminal offense here, and it takes away potential customers from my business)

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2007, 01:52:23 PM »

McVenco wrote:
Because it's a sticky topic. Just unsticky it and it will die automatically (again) :-)

Thanks man, I never realized it was sticky.  Guess another moderator did that at some point.  Need to go check all the forums to see what is and isn't sticky.

Wayne

Offline dannyp1

• Show only replies by dannyp1
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2007, 04:29:01 PM »
I also have no real problem with old, no longer commercially sold or supported software being passed around.  We all state how bad we want the Amiga platform to remain alive and then in the next breath try to kill it.  Most people would much prefer to own original software with original packaging and documentation.  I know I would.  But if you check the titles that were being offered on the "pirated" CD's and then do a search on EBay to find originals you will almost always find that if you want the game or program the "pirated" copy is your only option.  If an original piece of software and a "pirated" copy are put up for sale at the same time I don't need to tell you which would sell for the highest price.  If I want a program and I can get a "pirated" copy for $1 or the original for $25 I will buy the original every time and I think most people would.  If we make it impossible for Amiga user's to get software that is no longer available or supported we have just closed the lid on the coffin.  If I have an original program I have no problem or resentment that someone else has a copy.  I have what I want and he most likely has the only thing he could get.    

Dan  :madashell:

Offline Plaz

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2007, 05:40:43 PM »
Nightlong is PD?!? If so where can I get it from?

Am I thinking of the wrong game, or wasn't there a demo verion of Nightlong origianlly available from Aminet long long ago? I'm pretty sure, but not certain, that I downloaded if from Aminet even before the commercial version was released. (Took a few days if I recall) Some one would have to get one of this guy's CDs and actually confirm it contains the PD and not the commercial version. He may be counting on the fact that no one will botherif it's truely the commercial version.

P.S. Yes, just did a bit of googling and I'm pretty sure there was a multi-floppy demo verion of this once on aminet. I probably couldn't find it among my old floppies even if you paid me to look though.

Plaz

Offline crass84

• Show only replies by crass84
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2007, 07:44:09 PM »
Most people here have been messing with amiga,s for years.how many can honestly say they have never had pirated amiga software personaly i have about 30 cds of it stored from the old days car boot sales and the like its what funded my amiga habit and im still here ive spent lots on commercial software/hardware over the years but kept the cds for back up purpose only and nostalgia hope this doesant offend anybody

Offline yetihw

• Show only replies by yetihw
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2007, 08:28:16 PM »
@Roj

I agree but I don't agree with the Bears Logo

GO BROWNS!!!!!!!!
Couldn\\\'t afford an amiga then can\\\'t afford one now.

Offline monami

• Show only replies by monami
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2007, 08:46:00 PM »
if you really want to upset the seller, buy it, then complain to ebay that it's a fake you get to keep the disks and get your money back. i have done that a few times! :lol:
i will bless them that bless you. i will curse them that curse you. gods promise to his chosen people the jews.

Offline DoogUK

• Show only replies by DoogUK
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2007, 09:46:13 PM »
we are forgetting the fact that most amiga software isnt available to buy new anymore....and buying originals of the bay etc does nothing to help the developers who put it together....no cash goes into their pocket.
a1200T/040@40/64mb/10 gig/CWB
a600/3.5mb/3.25gb
a1200/blizz 040@40/128mb/4gb compact flash/CWB A4000/40

Offline zhulien

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2007, 10:39:21 PM »
in reality the availability of the software doesn't make it free for the taking/selling whether it's c64, amiga, amstrad cpc or gameboy advance. it doesn't matter whether there's a company around to sue or not.  if you copy it for personal use or sell it though has different legal ramifications based on the law of where you live as to whether it's a criminal offence or not.  but there is no distinguishing of one platform is ok to pirate for and another isn't.  this is what I dislike about some anal people, they seem to have different opinions regarding platforms and piracy.  honestly I don't think I know a single person (friends, or even colleges at work) who hasn't copied a computer program, a picture, a piece of text (without proper quoting), recorded a tv program prior to 3 years ago (which was illegal here), copies mp3s to their ipod etc... whether the copyright laws are moral or not, whether you pirate for personal use or not (ie: rip your music cds for listening on your computer), honestly I couldn't care less, but... what I hate is buying software on ebay and receiving pirated stuff.  if they were outright open and said they were selling pirated software, fine, I'll just avoid it.  the amount of pirated gameboy advance games are actually so bad on ebay that I just cannot buy gameboy advance games anymore from there.  and no, I don't think amiga, c64, amstrad cpc software are ok to sell pirated.

Offline dannyp1

• Show only replies by dannyp1
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2007, 11:49:05 PM »
I also would be upset if I bought software on EBay that was presented as being original and when it arrived was a copy.  But on the other hand if I bought something that was listed as being a back-up I would know exactly what I was getting and would buy it only if an original was not available.  In my mind if a company stops making and selling a software title they are more or less giving up the ability to make money off of that software.  If you read the small print on a lot of software you are not buying the software but only a license to use it.  In those cases it is illegal to sell the original copy for someone elses use.  The "only-original can be sold" crowd around here never seem to take this into account when passing judgement on others.  They have drawn a moral line in the sand which is not always the legal line.  Believe me, if the copyright owner has a problem with their software being illegally sold they will do something about it.  We don't have to.  I know this from first hand expierence with MicroSoft by having two different items I was selling taken off from EBay.  Both times they were new still sealed software that was original but was meant to be sold with a computer system.  I still think I had the right to sell them but MicroSoft and the law said otherwise, and they didn't need some do-gooder with nothing better to do than worry about someone else's business to tell them.  They actively protect what is theirs.  This is not the case with 10 and 20 year old Amiga software that hasn't been available for that long from the publisher.  Over 90% of Amiga software is abandon-ware in the true sense.

Dan      :getmad: