Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Microsoft's Dumbest And Smartest Moves Of 2011  (Read 9299 times)

Description:

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
Re: Microsoft's Dumbest And Smartest Moves Of 2011
« on: January 04, 2012, 09:22:51 PM »
The tablet thing is significant but I think a lot of people come at it the wrong way.

It's not that tablets and smartphones are replacing computers for people who want computers.
They are replacing computers for people that want to do computer things, but never wanted a computer otherwise. Facebook, email, instant messaging, basic web browsing etc.

There's a wealth of people I know that barely use their computer except to write the occasional letter, but they are online almost every waking hour on some portable device.

When you factor in that in that environment, manufacturer/vendor lockdown is widely accepted, and piracy is a lot harder, it becomes a nobrainer for someone like microsoft to follow the trail.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 09:48:26 PM »
I don't disagree with you, but you are speaking of computer guys. People who expect to get in there under the hood and get dirty.

Most people are just consumers, who want to post on facebook. BUt they spend money too.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 10:19:03 PM »
Maybe Im just surrounded by hipsters then :)

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 10:22:13 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;674373
Well, you do live in Portland...

Hah, yes. I think I can probably clear out a coffee shop by carrying my old IBM model M keyboard in there ;)

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 11:12:25 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;674381
Personally, I'm tired of hearing people herald the death of the desktop pc.

Tablets are nice, but what if you actual create digital content like graphics, audio or video? Your not doing that comfortably on a tablet so I think desktop pcs will still be around for a long long time, if nothing else as digital content editing workstations.

Steven

It's not dying. It's just that sales are tapering off, because there's more competition in the market, and people are less inclined, I think, to do the habitual 2 or 3 year upgrades that was so common in the 90s and 2000s

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 06:46:54 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;680406
Also this! I am finding the same thing, although I don't have an iPad. Big I7 for games and programming, iPhone for most else, and my macbook is kind of a glorified notebook and the apple platform to test my java programs on or how webpages render in Safari. My feeling is the laptops are the doomed form factors.

It doesn't help that a lot of laptops are so heavy, hot and awkward that they really aren't very convenient. Throw in that they are a pain to repair, often hard to expand and yeah, sucks.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 03:21:23 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;680499
It's no different to commodore allowing degrader to include kickstart 1.3 when the a500 plus came out.

Then again there are some people who preferred kickstart 1.2.

I ran vista x64 as it was the only choice if you wanted a 64 bit os. You could run XP64, but that was basically Windows Server & had less worse support than Vista.

Then I wouldn't touch XP if you paid me.

The only 64 bit windows option you mean.