Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New AmigaOne information  (Read 7791 times)

Description:

Chathurawind

Re: New AmigaOne information
« Reply #14 from previous page: February 28, 2002, 09:17:26 PM »
>>"FWIW, A4000 desktop w/CS MKII 060. Not thrilled about the idea of being forced to upgrade it to PPC either."

>You are kidding right?

Not at all.  "Forced" as in anything beyond 3.9 won't support 68k.  I'm running 3.5 now, and don't see much reason to go to 3.9 even.

>the CS-PPC is far too expensive and far too unreliable.

That's the impression I've gotten as well.  I'd rather spend the money on an AmigaOne or else a PeeCee and OSXL/Amithlon.

>As much as I love my mk-II the speed is simply far too slow for modern computing.

Hmm.  "Modern computing."  I keep seeing this phrase used to justify any number of hardware "upgrades."  My MKII is the 50Mhz version, the only time I wish it were faster is when rendering in Lightwave (which I don't do nearly as often as I used to).  Anything else, does what I want it to do just fine as is.  Maybe I'm not "modern."

>You wouldn't really rather try to stay with 060 would you? The AmigaOne will give you a complete new MB with at least 3X the performance of the CS-PPC for half the price.

But won't give me backwards compatibility (see above).  And if I'm not getting that, I might as well emulate instead, and keep my A4000 for the Toaster/Flyer.

Don't get me wrong...I think the AmigaOne (whichever flavor) will be a wonderful thing.  I just don't see it doing what *I* want.  I'm fully aware I do not represent the majority.

Offline SystemTopic starter

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
Re: New AmigaOne information
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2002, 03:33:33 PM »
Being a programmer, and having to deal (on a daily basis) with crappy winblows-based programs, and even worse programming, I sort-of agree with both sides here...

On one hand we have existing, stable, software that is compact and quick.
Then we have all the "modern computing" where the programmers have not worried about the size or system requirements because the computers are getting bigger and more powerful anyway.

What I would like to see is some "modern computing" that follows the "old ways" of being as small and fast as possible (or am I asking too much???)