Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best place to buy BNC to RJ45 adapters?  (Read 4064 times)

Description:

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
Re: Best place to buy BNC to RJ45 adapters?
« Reply #14 from previous page: July 24, 2011, 10:13:29 AM »
Quote from: orb85750;651403
Thanks, everyone, for your input.  Do you think I can use the following adapter if I find a BNC cable with two male ends???

http://www.amazon.com/Media-converter-10Base-T-10Base-2-external/dp/tech-data/B000BMQWSG

No. That item should not be called "media converter" because it isn't. It's a simple electrical adapter that just won't work. A real media converter will require a power supply for instance.

The smallest coax (10Base2) setup you'll require (i.e. to connect the NIC and the converter/hub) is:
- 2 terminators
- 2 T-connectors
- length of RG-58 with BNC connectors

Any further device will additionally require:
- T-connector
- length of RG-58 with BNC connectors

If you've got several coax devices you can set up a small 10Base2 network and adapt that with a single hub / media converter.

Alternatively, if you've only got a single NIC equipped with an AUI port it's much simpler to use an 'AUI transceiver for TP/10BaseT' - paid ~4 € for mine on eBay. I think any model will work.

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
Re: Best place to buy BNC to RJ45 adapters?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2011, 01:34:13 PM »
The "AUI transceiver for TP/10BaseT" many people keep mentioning is the best way to go if you connecting to anything modern.  10Base T will work right alongside modern computers and game systems without any modifications or hacks.

The transceiver is cheap, works and is easy.
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?