Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New AGA SDL Development  (Read 35405 times)

Description:

Offline chris

Re: New AGA SDL Development
« on: May 09, 2013, 02:37:08 PM »
Quote from: magnetic;734081
To me probably the most exciting thing is the Netsurf port i'm dying for decent browser for my a1200.

Sadly it'll be the crappy framebuffer interface.  It's a step in the right direction, at least.

A decent AGA version of SDL is pretty cool though.
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline chris

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 10:59:33 PM »
Quote from: Crumb;734927
I don't think using a ClassAct/Reaction GUI requires a "total" rewrite.

It doesn't, it just needs the OS4 specifics ripped out/replaced/back-ported/whatever.

Some light reading:
Roughly what needs to be changed for OS3
Build log for OS3 (what actually needs to be fixed) - I see you have already found this one.
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion

Offline chris

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 09:40:57 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;735241
i trust you sdl is slow but have not seen any proof. depends on implementation i guess.

I have faith that Novacoder's SDL won't be slow.  That's not the problem here - the issue is that NetSurf's Framebuffer GUI is not designed for operating systems with a proper GUI toolkit.

Offline chris

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 01:59:34 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;735312
you mean like the framebuffer gets wholly rerendered when something within the content chenges? like an animation or text input into a form? this is of course an angument, but then as you see there is none who can implement your frontend on 68k.

I have no idea whether that is the case or not.  What I meant was it doesn't support multiple windows, menus, drag'n'drop, window resizing, loading/saving(?), clipboard(?), etc.

Offline chris

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 07:50:05 PM »
Quote from: adrian82;736877
Why? You're not losing anything. It's rather the opposite, you can only win. The more people can work with the code, the better.

I disclose every source code I have ever written and I never had any bad experiences. I even had people pick up the code and send me patches which dramatically boosted development.

I do that on occasion, and people still send me bug reports rather than patches.
I've actually had more success with closed source projects - people ask for the source code, I provide it, and stuff actually gets done.

Having said that, it does annoy me when I find something on Aminet that I want to update, there's no source code and the developer is long gone.

Offline chris

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 06:43:04 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;738710
One thing I need to look into is can SDL ports have Arexx ports?  Or something to the same effect?

Given the two things are entirely unconnected... sure, why not?