Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Former Commodore UK Bosses David Pleasance and Colin Proudfoot Join FriendUP  (Read 6141 times)

Description:

Offline Linde

• Show all replies
    • http://hata.zor.org/
Them joining the company would have to be the most interesting aspect of this platform. The interview mentions that it would be inspired by Amiga and even Amiga-like, but it seems like it will be a web based in-browser type window manager with a few shrug-worthy apps running in the cloud, which already sort of rules out anything that I think is particularly unique or interesting about Amiga.

They also mention that it will be "open", and I sincerely doubt that, in any meaningful sense of the word anyway. Maybe it will be open in the sense that it is developer friendly or something, but not open like Linux, which is what the developer guy seems to imply. Depending on someone else to manage your files or provide the service of making the applications you use daily available to you is the antithesis of being open. Will I be able to download and run my own FriendUP server? Will I be able to download and build it from source? Never mind the fact that the apps they present on their website all have free and actually open, cross-platform alternatives that are more mature and obviously more widely adopted.

Inventing their own shell language also sounds cool and fun, but who are they going to woo with that? "Hey, let's invest in this startup cloud platform by building software in a way that makes us entirely dependent on their success. Let's not only use their APIs and storage services, but also the language that they invented!"