Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shapeshifter. Best mac os for 030?  (Read 39609 times)

Description:

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
Re: Shapeshifter. Best mac os for 030?
« on: February 28, 2011, 12:01:14 AM »
Ok, so I finally got the happy mac face to come up, but loading the 7.6.1 OS file posted takes minutes upon minutes of hard drive spinning action.  Is there something I can do to improve performance?

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 01:40:21 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;618335
Code: [Select]
makedir ram:shapeshifter
copy work:shapeshifter/#? Ram:shapeshifter/
;)

Well, I cannot put a 120 meg file in ram with 16 meg max :D

Have to wait for a good accelerator with some onboard ram or a zoram

otherwise it does seem to load ok... perhaps a bit zippier...

maybe I need to install it to its own partition...

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 10:21:31 PM »
Is it possible to give the Mac OS an actual HFS partition to work on?  In a fit of pique I've gone and decided to go back to 3.9 on an 80GB hard drive, but I'd like to make a partition that is Mac native for the shapeshifter (the idea is to make a partition as well for AROS 68K to live in.)

My initial thought was to slam it on into my linux box, cfdisk it and make a bunch of partitions, but I wasn't too sure which ones should be primary and which should be logical, or if I couldn't just do this with HDToolBox either.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 03:42:11 AM »
Anybody know a good place to get OS 7.6.1 for install?  Cammy's hardfile doesn't work if you are installing to a dedicated partition.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 04:59:11 AM »
Well, found out that 7.6.1 was never released "into the wild," so am sourcing a solution elsewhere.

Also, for the myved etc etc, I think the easiest solution is to download the whole shebang here:

http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/MMULib#contents

This has all of it, plus a handy dandy install script and the full set of documentation, which is a good read.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 04:30:02 PM »
Quote from: rvo_nl;641081
if not, you can use this method on the infamous 'jeans' hardfile that you can find online or on some cucd. or try to find macos8.1 classic.

You know what was terrible?  I had kept the copy of OS 8 that came with my power mac clone so many years ago.  I found it in my CD holder, only to realize it had a split! :furious:

Ah, well, it's (hopefully) sorted soon.  Oh, and I can't get Cammys HDfile to boot - I'm not sure if my download is corrupted or not, so I'm just going about it the manual way for now.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 08:20:22 PM »
The issue I'm having now is that I boot up into 7.6.1, and as per shapeshifter instructions, I set the hard drive partiton I want to use in the prefs.  OS comes up, says it needs to be initialized.  I say OK, give it a name, it churns for 30 minutes, then says Disk Initialization failed.  I'm not sure what is messing up.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 08:45:18 PM »
I actually figured it out - you aren't supposed to use the mac side initializer I believe.  I just rebooted the mac and the HD showed up.

System 7 is happily installing away.  I set aside a partition for it so I may as well go for a dedicated partition.  I'm rather impressed so far as to how fast it is and this is just off the CDROM.  Now I have a huge stack of mac disks to go through and see if they are any good.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 11:34:22 PM »
Well, so far its fine.  It crashes my system unless I use Extensions disabled, so I need to spend some time tracking down that culprit.  So far it has done what I wanted - I can install my complete NAt Geo that I bought ages ago and only works on Win95 era machines.  As for games, I haven't attempted that yet.  The era of "good mac gaming" was the starcraft, warcraft, Myth, Civ era, which I believe was the PowerPC era.  I'd need a lot more ram for that too.  Looks like Zorram and a Picasso 4 are the next ones to get.  It really sucks having to use an interlaced setting for shapeshifter.  I feel like I'm having a seizure.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 09:24:20 PM »
Well, some of the crashing was due I'm sure to the fact that I had memory set very low :lol:

It's been very fun to run System 7.6.1.  It actually reminds me of a fond time between the end of my amiga days and the final caving into Wintendo when mac games just weren't being released.  Makes me wish I still had my PowerComputing Powerbase.  The thing definitely needs more memory, tho...  So it's either a zoram or I get lucky and snag an accelerator with memory on it.

I fired up the old NatGeo complete today and got a treat - an advert for Kodak from the late 90's (pushing their "photo CD" technology).

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 10:21:17 PM »
Quote from: rvo_nl;641444
fun :) natgeo has some great cd's, dvd's and blu-ray's these days..

what system are you running shapeshifter on? a graphics card makes an amazing difference. I refuse to use my Amiga without one. go buy one NOW. seriously.

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=15931

you wont regret.

It's already sold and 300 euros is way out of my league.  I paid about that much for my 4000 alone.

I would love to have a picasso 4 or an indivision 4000, but with one rather pricey and one non-existent its going to be a while.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 06:01:25 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;641473
Where is this driver available for download?  I have an A1200 with IndivisionAGA & B1260 w/256mb Fast RAM that I would like to set Shapeshifter up on this week.  Does this "Muv-thing driver" work with the IndivisionAGA?  Can you access a wireless NIC in the PCMCIA slot from the Mac emulation?  If yes, what would be the best browser to use from the Mac emulation while running MacOS7.6?  And finally, on such a setup as mine, would it be better to try to get MacOS8, 8.5, or 9 running on Shapeshifter?  I have heard about other people running MacOS8 and maybe MacOS9 on Shapeshifter, but can't remember where I read it.

I have been reading a lot at lowendmac.com.  OS 7.6.1 evidently is the "sweet spot" in the mac world for speed/performance.  I couldn't answer the if's with any certainty, not having any of that gear, but the link for the "mu thingy" I posed farther up in the thread.  It's the whole MMUlib, but it comes with an install script that lets you customize your install to just what you want, or you can install them all separately.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 01:45:14 AM »
AmigaDave, did you read this post?  All of the Mu(insert ending here) are in this one package.  Do you have me on your ignore list or something?

Quote from: TheBilgeRat;641004
Well, found out that 7.6.1 was never released "into the wild," so am sourcing a solution elsewhere.

Also, for the myved etc etc, I think the easiest solution is to download the whole shebang here:

http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/MMULib#contents

This has all of it, plus a handy dandy install script and the full set of documentation, which is a good read.