Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Help .....Adaptec 2940UW SCSI problem.  (Read 18325 times)

Description:

Offline hikermike

• Show all replies
Re: Help .....Adaptec 2940UW SCSI problem.
« on: August 13, 2004, 07:03:24 AM »
If you have an ide disk on your computer, then you can't enable the scsi bios.  If you boot with the scsi disk, you can't use IDE with it.  If you have an ide disk, do not boot from the scsi but from the ide.  When windows manager sees the "ghosted" then your card is working ok, the disk is not formated correctly which is why the other scsi disk shows up.  I had the same set of probs with my 2940 and darned if I can remember what I did.  I think what I did was to boot it up on a computer as the only drive and then started to install the os so as to format it and it then worked.  There is a more official way but one of the others will have to tell you how to do it.  I also find I have trouble with having both external and internal peripherals on the same card, but that might be because of the 50-68 pin problem previously mentioned.

Offline hikermike

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 11:23:52 PM »
As to "fictional", the above information is what came with my Adaptec Card.  You will get conflicts with the different bios"s, however, the mixed up flash sounds like it was the cause but then why would one disk show up and not the other?
The comment "conflicts are easily fixed if you know what to do" is not helpful cuz that's why they're asking the questions.  Some of us like to Use our computers, not spend the day messing with them.  (Then why do I still fire up the 'ol 2500 and fix another broken part?)  Anyway, I wish he'd post the final outcome!

Offline hikermike

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 08:07:43 AM »
Another situation.  I was throwing out old computer books tonite and as I was thumbing through an old PC Repair Book, in the scsi section it mentioned the following about the Adaptec  2940 specifically.  If the harddrive your using to boot was used with a previous scsi card, the 2940 will not recognize it as it writes a specific file to the harddrive.  At best they suggest rewriting the MBR but say that  probably  won't work and you'll have to reformat the Harddrive completely including the MBR.  Is that the situation?