Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Help .....Adaptec 2940UW SCSI problem.  (Read 18208 times)

Description:

Offline Floid

• Show all replies
Re: Help .....Adaptec 2940UW SCSI problem.
« on: August 13, 2004, 05:46:47 AM »

melott wrote:
Ummm.. well still no luck.
I read all the install docs and manually copied
all the files to the correct dirs.

But I'm not getting the 'Adaptec installed' on the boot
screen. I still think I'm missing something in the setup.
Device Manager properties says the drivers are installed
and working correctly.

I'm just not convinced yet that the card is bad, it does
work on the 50 pin side.

But I can't bring up 'ScsiSlect'.

Any other ideas before I scrap this card??
Press CTRL-A when it's listing the drives attached to the card during the boot process.  If you'd like, do it with the 50 pin drive first, so you'll know you have something to look for.  (If you're not seeing *that,* you probably have a rather odd PC -- does it have a graphical splash screen at startup, with a Compaq or Acer logo that fills the whole screen?... or there's some vague chance the card's ROM was misflashed at once point in time... or! you have a Mac edition of the card.  If either of the latter two oddities, you can probably correct it by running the appropriate flash utility... if you can figure out what that is.  It's vaguely plausible that Windows could drive a card with the 'wrong' ROM for the platform, but that the driver may make certain assumptions about things the proper one would set up 'ahead of time.')

In any case, once into the utility (similar to a BIOS configuration screen), you should have the option to enable various things (it's true the card BIOS shouldn't matter, and I'm not sure about Int13h off the top of my head... but let's put it this way: they won't *hurt,* so you may as well) -- and to set termination, scan the bus, run low level formats or perhaps diagnostics, etc.

If you can get in there once, hook up the 68 pin drive, and do whatever seems plausible to test that things work.

---

What are you using for termination with the Fujitsu right now?

Offline Floid

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 07:03:22 PM »

hikermike wrote:
If you have an ide disk on your computer, then you can't enable the scsi bios.  If you boot with the scsi disk, you can't use IDE with it.  If you have an ide disk, do not boot from the scsi but from the ide.
Under normal circumstances, the system BIOS won't *try* to defer to the SCSI BIOS unless the 'Boot from SCSI' option is set in the system BIOS.  Meanwhile, once booted, both the IDE and SCSI controllers are just PCI peripherals to the OS, like anything else... there's nothing special about IDE or SCSI that would make them "conflict."

As such, the above suggestions are entirely fictional; mixed scenarios are quite easy when you know what you're doing.

---

Assuming the initial poster really isn't seeing any Adaptec messages whatsoever when booting, I'm leaning towards the Macintosh ROM/corrupted card BIOS theory, at least as the next thing to try.  AFUV220.EXE (Adaptec.com) is the appropriate update if this is a 2940UW non-Pro (as it probably is); you'll need to reboot to "DOS Mode," unpack it (self-extracting executable), and run whatever it is you run to make it work.

(Don't worry about 'destroying' a rare Mac-edition card by flashing it back to the PC version; these things are now rather useless on the Mac -- not officially supported in OS   X -- anyway.  AFAIK, both Pegasos and AmigaOne are designed to deal with the usual x86-ROM'd cards.)

Offline Floid

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 06:05:06 AM »

melott wrote:
I guess the card is parically broke.. It does reconize
a 50 pin drive although the "Adaptec Bios loaded" does
NOT show in the boot up.

I bought another AHA 2940W/ 2940UW card and it works
fine. It shows up in the boot as loaded.

Now all I have to do is get these 68 pin Compaq drives
to work :-?
Is the new card having equal trouble with those, or are you just talking formatting?  I've missed what you're using for termination, so I'll have to look back in the thread as to that.

If you just mean formatting, there's a good chance there *are* bad things that could happen to zap only the wide chain (my understanding is that pretty much any SCSI controller that routes the chain through the chip is odd like that -- it 'should' just be straight through, but in practice, the chip has to act as a sort of active bridge to compensate for the different electrical properties of silicon vs. cabling, so there are 'transceivers' for both wide and narrow sides that could theoretically blow)... but if you can't get the Compaqs to show at all, you might want to double-check whether they're HVD, or just dead!