Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Help .....Adaptec 2940UW SCSI problem.  (Read 17671 times)

Description:

Offline yogisumo

• Show all replies
Re: Help .....Adaptec 2940UW SCSI problem.
« on: August 12, 2004, 06:02:30 AM »

Trev wrote:
After pressing CTRL+A to enter the host adapter's setup utility, you should see an option to "Enable SCSI BIOS" or something similar. This should be set to Yes. During the boot process, you should see a flag that says something like "SCSI BIOS installed" or "SCSI BIOS not installed."

You only need to enable the bios if you need to boot from the scsi controller.

As for the 50-pin side working . . . well, it depends. Different host adapters do different things. Some adapaters only support booting from ID 0, some ID 6. In the case of the 2940UW, you can specify the boot device, and it shouldn't matter which bus (narrow or wide) it's on. (OK, that was a bit off-topic.) Termination or ID conflicts are usually the cause of this kind of problem.

Termination is the big one.
   Adaptec scsi controllers need "active" termination.  If you're terminators are not active, then it won't work properly.  Double check your drive.  If it doesn't have built in termination, and I think a lot of drives do, then you'll need a terminator.  Cable length can also be an issue.  Total cable length on a bus including external cables matters.

Offline yogisumo

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 06:12:14 AM »
Scsi bus needs to be terminated at both ends.  If you only have one drive on the controller, the drive will need termination and the controller also.

terminated controller----------------------terminated drive

If you have an external drive, then you'll need to remove termination on controller and set it on external drive.

Terminated ext drive------------controller-----------Terminated internal drive

Offline yogisumo

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 06:28:09 AM »
Not being able to get into the bios is a pretty good sign that somebody tried to flash the bios and screwed it up.  I had that problem with my 2940UW.  If you are going to flash it, do it in a system with a pci video card and nothing else in it.  In my case, I had a Matrox AGP card in the slot and the flash appeared to go well.  Even got success return code but flash was still screwed.  Adaptec tech support says to remove all cards and flash only with barebones system... It might work for you without going to all this trouble but...  You definitely want to make sure you don't have an IRQ conflict...

Offline yogisumo

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 11:35:29 PM »
One disk might show up if it was scsi fast and the other might not because it was scsi ultrawide.  The Adaptec bios allows you to set the speed of each drive/id.  It also allows you to turn allow or disallow each id to be included in the bios scan.  The bios settings might still be set but the corrupted bios would not allow changing the settings.